United Kingdom
Joined 5554 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 1 of 4
01 September 2009 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
Živijo,

I have just done a search looking for some good materials for Slovene. Apparently, resources for Slovene are very thin on the ground, however I thought it would be worth asking about Slovene resources again, even if the only response I'm going to get is that there's nothing much around. This year I am beginning to study Slovene to accompany the Russian which I've been studying for a year already (but actually learning it for much longer). I like to get ahead of the classes, since, as most of you will appreciate, I find that classes typically move at an infuriatingly slow pace, and I am certain that I will be able to outpace the classes. Specifically I was looking for a decent online dictionary; I have bought a pretty good grammar (Slovene, A Comprehensive Grammar by Peter Herrity, if anyone else is learning/considering learning Slovene but doesn't know where to start) but I am lacking a good dictionary, either a paper one or an online one. For all the other languages I've ever studied, whether seriously or just fleetingly, I've used "wordreference", which I'm sure is no revelation to anyone here. However there's no section for Slovene on there at all, despite there being a forum, but as you will all agree, it's entirely impractical and a waste of others' time for me to ask for every word I want to know on that forum alone. Does anyone know of a good English-Slovene Slovene-English dictionary, preferably online? Although at this point, anything decent would be a great help.

A thousand thank yous to anyone who can help with this seemingly hopeless situation.

Hvala za pomoč

Jack
1 person has voted this message useful

Meadowmeal
Pentaglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5499 days ago

43 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, French, English, German, Polish
Studies: Romanian

Message 2 of 4
01 September 2009 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
Did you find this bibliography already?
Slovene Language-Learning Materials for English Speakers: An Annotated List
Compiled by Marc L. Greenberg, University of Kansas

And maybe PONS Kompaktwörterbuch Slowenisch or Helene Perne's Langenscheidt Universal-Wörterbuch Slowenisch could be an option?

Edited by Meadowmeal on 01 September 2009 at 9:34pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5554 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 3 of 4
01 September 2009 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for the suggestions, Meadowmeal. I am not terribly good at searching the net or using the search function. No, I'd not found the bibliography you linked beforehand.

Hvala :)

Jack
1 person has voted this message useful

fatboy85
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5630 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*, Russian, French
Studies: Slovenian

Message 4 of 4
04 September 2009 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
There's a reasonable online translator at

http://presis.amebis.si/prevajanje/

It's not perfect but has a pretty large depth of vocabulary. I think it will suit your needs.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version