United States
eestinotes.blogspot.
Joined 5314 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Estonian

Message 1 of 7
10 September 2009 at 4:49am | IP Logged 
I have my own way I've been going about it. I purchased Byki from Transparent Language, a well as a textbook called "Estonian Textbook" by Juhan Tuldava. Byki only teaches vocabulary, so the book is necessary to continue learning. However, I'm finding myself putting the book aside and focusing on learning vocabulary first. I have about 500 words in my repertoire.

I also have made some friends through an online penpal site, and VERY OCCASIONALLY, and I mean once every few months, I will practice what I know with them.

What do you use to learn Estonian? Do you have any recommendations for textbooks or software?
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 2 of 7
10 September 2009 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
- Use "Teach Yourself Estonian". It's very good for beginning students.

- There's also a rather new website that teaches a few languages, Estonian being one of them.

http://www.oneness.vu.lt/

- Tuldava's book is a better reference manual than "do-it-yourself" course since there's no accompanying audio and too few exercises.

I've posted some comments about Estonian in the Collaborative Writing section of this forum.

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=12437&PN=1

Edu!

Ameeriklane
United States
eestinotes.blogspot.
Joined 5314 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 3 of 7
10 September 2009 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
First, that link doesn't work for me, brings me back to the forum index, sorry...

I'll check out the oneness link. It seems interesting already from the few pages I've skimmed... I'll go ore in-depth with it later.

As for the book, I almost bought that a few months back. I'll have to check it out again :D

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 4 of 7
10 September 2009 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
Unfortunately I can't post URLs as clickable links. The URL that I posted has a space between the "T" and "ID" towards the end of the string. Try entering that link but delete the space between the "T" and "ID". Or just go to the "Collaborative Writing" section of this forum and click on the link called "Estonian Profile"

I strongly recommend TY Estonian and you shouldn't need to pay that much for it. Amazon sells the complete kit (book & 2 CDs) for around $25 US. I completed that course and got a LOT more mileage out of it than Colloquial Estonian which is a POS. I found out when using Tuldava's book that I wasn't retaining that much as I got deeper since I needed a lot more exercises in order to retain the grammar that I was reading about.

Ameeriklane
United States
eestinotes.blogspot.
Joined 5314 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 5 of 7
10 September 2009 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
Alright, noted. Maybe I'll eventually have some money and I can get it lol.

Garaidh
Decaglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5822 days ago

43 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, Croatian, Serbian, French
Studies: Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Faroese

Message 6 of 7
15 September 2009 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
Theres a useful online course in Estonian that used to be free.

http://www.panglosskool.eu/index.php?id=23

Altaica
Triglot
Estonia
Joined 4771 days ago

9 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: Estonian*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German, Russian

Message 7 of 7
19 March 2011 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
I'll try to give a link:

http://kutsekeel.ee/index.php?page=95&

These are electronc study materials for Russians who study at a vocational school. Materials are at a higher level that just elementary and mostly deal with specialty language. At the same time note Mare Kitsink's material - this seems to be more general.
I checked and it seems that there is a lot of audio and you can go through the courses individually as you are provided with the immediate fedback.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version