Joined 5904 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 137 of 177
06 April 2011 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
Miegamice wrote:
Yes, when translating a book, I have used other translations. It was quite interesting, once I had two different translations of one book, and both were good though very, very different.

Yes, a good example of this is the Greek of 1 Peter 2:24 which reads:

ὃς τὰς ἁμαρτίας ἡμῶν αὐτὸς ἀνήνεγκεν ἐν τῷ σώματι αὐτοῦ ἐπὶ τὸ ξύλον

and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross (tree)

The bolded phrase can be translated into English as either "on the cross" or "on the tree" since ξύλον (Xulon) means "anything made of wood."

If you translate it "Tree" it is figurative--it refers back to Deut 21:23: "his corpse shall not hang all night on the tree, but you shall surely bury him on the same day (for he who is hanged is accursed of God)" and if you translate it "Cross" it is literal--it refers to the actual wooden cross on which Jesus was hanged.

Thus, as you say, two different translations both good but very, very different.

Edited by JW on 06 April 2011 at 9:45pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Miegamice
Bilingual Pentaglot
Latvia
Joined 4768 days ago

32 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: Polish*, Latvian*, English, German, Danish
Studies: Norwegian, Swedish

Message 138 of 177
06 April 2011 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
I would prefer the tree, and not the cross..
1 person has voted this message useful

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5904 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 139 of 177
06 April 2011 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
Miegamice wrote:
I would prefer the tree, and not the cross..

I feel that both combined actually bring out the full meaning of the Greek, but if forced to choose one, I would also choose tree.

Interesting, this issue does not exist in other languages, e.g., German. Martin Luther translated:

welcher unsere Sünden selbst geopfert hat an seinem Leibe auf dem Holz

since Holz has a fairly similar range of meaning to ξύλον (Xulon). Most other German translations have Holz but "Hoffnung für Alle" has:

Christus hat unsere Sünden auf sich genommen und sie selbst zum Kreuz hinaufgetragen

However this is one of the translations that uses dynamic equivalence very broadly...

Edited by JW on 06 April 2011 at 10:12pm

Miegamice
Bilingual Pentaglot
Latvia
Joined 4768 days ago

32 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: Polish*, Latvian*, English, German, Danish
Studies: Norwegian, Swedish

Message 140 of 177
06 April 2011 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
Interesting indeed. Every language is unique.

ChiaBrain
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5590 days ago

402 posts - 512 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*
Studies: Portuguese, Italian, French
Studies: German

Message 141 of 177
09 April 2011 at 7:28am | IP Logged 
Currently reading "Dreaming in Hindi: Coming Awake in Another Language"

Amazon.com Review:
Having miraculously survived a serious illness and now at an impasse in her career as a
magazine editor, Rich spontaneously accepted a free-lance writing assignment to go to
India, where she found herself thunderstruck by the place and the language. Before she
knew it she was on her way to Udaipur, a city in the northwestern state of Rajasthan, in
order to learn Hindi.

In this inspirational memoir, Rich documents her experiences in India ranging from the
bizarre to the frightening to the unexpectedly exhilarating using Hindi as the lens
through which she is given a new perspective not only on India, but on the radical way
the country and the language itself were changing her. Fascinated by the process, she
went on to interview linguistics experts around the world, reporting back from the
frontlines of the science wars on what happens in the brain when we learn a new language.
Seamlessly combining Rich's courageous (and often hilarious) personal journey with
wideranging reporting, Dreaming in Hindi offers an eye-opening account of what learning a
new language can teach us about distant worlds and, ultimately, ourselves.

Mrs. Dalloway
Triglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4751 days ago

70 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2, Russian
Studies: GermanA2, French, Danish

Message 142 of 177
18 April 2011 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
Севастопльские рассказы, Толстой.
Евгений Онегин, Пушкин.
Thérèse Desqueyroux, François Mauriac.

When I'm in the mood: The black cat and other stories, Edgar Allan Poe.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5044 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 143 of 177
18 April 2011 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
I am currently reading A varanda do frangipani by Mia Couto. Mia Couto is a Mozambican author writing in Portuguese and a very interesting man. This novel is quite reminiscent of Gabriel García Márquez and "magical realism". I've only just started reading this novel in Portuguese and I am also just starting to learn Portuguese. I find it is taking me twice as long to read in Portuguese as it takes me in Spanish but I am enjoying being transported to Portuguese Africa through the words of Mia Couto. I can almost feel the halakavuma brushing against my feet.

"To read Mia Couto is to encounter a peculiarly African sensibility, a writer of fluid, fragmentary narratives . . . remarkable."—The New Statesman

"Extraordinary vision . . . his prose is suffused with striking images."—The Washington Post- Quotes taken from Amazon.com's description.

Edited by iguanamon on 18 April 2011 at 1:27pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

parasitius
Diglot
United States
Joined 5780 days ago

220 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Cantonese, Polish, Spanish, French

Message 144 of 177
19 April 2011 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
Frankly I can't believe the number of Japanese books in the thread and how badly they out
number the Chinese books!

Japanese is so freaking hard! Hard to the point that I've resorted from trying to read
any more books (after finishing two) to: "Read Real Japanese". Carefully spending about
15 mins on each tiny page, and then reviewing and rereading each page 4-5 times just to
make sure I got it.

Chinese-wise I'm reading the easiest book I've ever read since the first book I read
years ago: 广州,有种真实叫伤痛   With some perverted themes, I must say I'm thoroughly
enjoying it. It is so much more enjoyable to read something where I don't need a
dictionary but a few times an hour.

This discussion contains 177 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version