United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4670 days ago

191 posts - 246 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Spanish

Message 169 of 177
23 November 2011 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
SWEDISH

I'm currently reading my 2nd Swedish novel. En Bit Av Mitt Hjärta by Peter Robinson. Still at the beginning but I'm loving how I'm understanding more and more as I learn more and more words through general study :o)

The book I read before was a teen book - and much easier to understand lol - I Taket Lyser Stjärnorna by Johanna Thydell and I really enjoyed this book. Definitely want to read more of her work in the future :o)
1 person has voted this message useful

Mauritz
Octoglot
Sweden
Joined 4850 days ago

223 posts - 325 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, EnglishC2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Old English, Yiddish, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Korean, Portuguese, Welsh, Icelandic, Afrikaans

Message 170 of 177
24 November 2011 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
It's not really a book, but I'm currently reading Ælfric's Life of St Edmund. It's
actually very interesting and I'm really starting to get used to Ælfric's variety of Old
English (ys instead of is and such funny things!).

Oh, I'm also Pushkin's Станционный смотритель, but I've yet to finish it.

Humdereel
Octoglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4760 days ago

90 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written), Turkish, Persian, Urdu
Studies: Russian

Message 171 of 177
24 November 2011 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Arabic
Alf Layla wa Layla I've read several stories but there still some that I haven't gotten to.
Qamar Parisi by Ahmed Jumaa

Persian
Ferdowsi's Shahnameh still captivates me, and I just got a copy of Hafiz's Divan.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5629 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 172 of 177
27 March 2012 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
ENGLISH NOVEL

Yesterday I read a whole book of 260 pages in English which is a bestseller on the Anglophone market and used as a "Schullektüre" in Germany:

"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon, Cornelsen, 2003

This is edition with added English vocabulary explained in English under every page.

It's a detective novel with a the teenage protagonist Christopher who tells the story. The story is very special because Christpoher is a gifted autist with the Asperger-syndrome. So he preceives the world in a very different way than non-autists do.

Mark Haddon: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (Wikipedia)

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 29 March 2012 at 7:49am

Mauritz
Octoglot
Sweden
Joined 4850 days ago

223 posts - 325 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, EnglishC2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Old English, Yiddish, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Korean, Portuguese, Welsh, Icelandic, Afrikaans

Message 173 of 177
28 March 2012 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
@Fasulye: How interesting! I remember that read it (or a part of it) at school years ago, so I guess it's
"Schullelektüre" here as well.

I myself am, strangely enough, reading a book in Danish: Livet mellem husene ('Life Between Houses'). It's
about city planning and how interaction between people takes place in public spaces. However, I'll hopefully receive
Il nome della rosa (The Name of the Rose) by Umberto Eco in a few days, which I'm really looking forward
to!

Edited by Mauritz on 28 March 2012 at 12:05am

lafeeverte
Triglot
France
Joined 4373 days ago

6 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English

Message 174 of 177
01 May 2012 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
Currently I'm reading

The Hunger Games (I listen the audio book of it while I follow the words on the book , to
improve my pronounciation)

and

Le Club des Incorrigibles Optimistes - Jean Michel Guenassia

Edited by lafeeverte on 01 May 2012 at 12:43am

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5462 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Russian

Message 175 of 177
02 May 2012 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 

一个人去跑步by槁木直子
I bought this in Taiwan over the summer and constantly reread it. It's the first native book I have read entirely in Chinese. I love slice of life comics and am a casual runner myself. I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel which was released in Chinese yesterday in Taiwan, but I'm unlikely to recieve that until June.
Can't wait until I can read it in the original Japanese! (one day...)

《哈利·坡特》于魔法石by JK Rowling
The first Harry Potter book has never been my favourite, but this book has the descriptions for the rest of the series and a story I know very well. I'm a little dismayed by how much of the vocabulary is still new to me (I highlight everything that is even slightly unknown to me, or anything I should like to use in writing/conversation myself). I've read chapter 1 so far and am addicted!

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4641 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 176 of 177
02 May 2012 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
Several books in order from the most often read to the least often:
Brisingr, Christopher Paolini (Polish)
Brodeck's Report, Philippe Claudel (Polish)
Гераците (The Hawks), Елин Пелин (Bulgarian)
Големите скитачи (The Great Wanderers), Методија Фотев (Macedonian)

In waiting room:
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, J.K. Rowling (Czech)
S@motność w Sieci (Loneliness On The Net)

And some others. Just to stop being such a lazy bum...

This discussion contains 177 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version