177 messages over 23 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 22 23 Next >>
Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5680 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 49 of 177
22 November 2009 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
I don't particularly like using dictionaries more than absolutely necessary, and prefer to acquire vocabulary from context

I must say, I tried this method for a long time for English and Spanish with terrible results; my writing suffered a lot from an imprecise knowledge and use of vocabulary, particularly in my native tongue. I think one learns vocabulary from a dictionary and masters it through context. Nowadays I don't sit down to read in any language unless I have a dictionary by my side, either in physical or online format.

But of course everyone learns differently and should follow whichever method produces the best results for them.

Volte wrote:
Edit: I'm intermittently reading Harry Potter in Latin, to solidify/internalize my knowledge of the grammar and core vocabulary. It's full of neologisms and the style certainly isn't very classical - but it's useful to me at this stage. I do find a few translations are an excellent way of bridging into my target language - after that, watching how excellent writers of the target language branch off from what I know is a pleasant way to see how the target language is written well and differs from similar ones I can read.

See, there being such an overabundance of worthwhile things to read originally written in Latin readily available in the Loeb Classical Library in bilingual format, this is something I would never do.

Edited by Juan M. on 23 November 2009 at 2:06am

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 50 of 177
22 November 2009 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
Juan M. wrote:
Volte wrote:
I don't particularly like using dictionaries more than absolutely necessary, and prefer to acquire vocabulary from context

I must say, I tried this method for a long time for English and Spanish with terrible results; my writing suffered a lot from an imprecise knowledge and use of vocabulary, particularly in my native tongue. I think one learns vocabulary from a dictionary and masters it through context.

I've learned almost all of my vocabulary via exposure. I generally find dictionary definitions to be much more vague than my conception of words in my active vocabulary; sometimes they are useful for words I know more poorly.

On the other hand, I find occasional references to encyclopedias, wikipedia, or other reference works for unfamiliar technical terms (especially in fields I know poorly) to be extremely valuable.

Juan M. wrote:

Nowadays I don't seat down to read in any language unless I have a dictionary by my side, either in physical or online format.

I'm a voracious reader - and I find that so painful that I simply don't read if I try to force myself to use a dictionary frequently.

Juan M. wrote:

But of course everyone learns differently and should follow whichever method produces the best results for them.

Indeed.

Juan M. wrote:

Volte wrote:
Edit: I'm intermittently reading Harry Potter in Latin, to solidify/internalize my knowledge of the grammar and core vocabulary. It's full of neologisms and the style certainly isn't very classical - but it's useful to me at this stage. I do find a few translations are an excellent way of bridging into my target language - after that, watching how excellent writers of the target language branch off from what I know is a pleasant way to see how the target language is written well and differs from similar ones I can read.

See, there being such an overabundance of worthwhile things to read originally written in Latin readily available in the Loeb Classical Library in bilingual format, this is something I would never do.

It happened to be the best option at a physical bookstore I was at, and I wanted something immediately; online shops take anywhere from a day to a few weeks. I'm not going to claim it's ideal - it's not.

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5748 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 51 of 177
22 November 2009 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
I'm working on the Penguin Parallel Text Cuentos Hispánicos. This book is so much easier than the German
counterpart. Excellent review, and I find a lot of vocabulary returning to me as I read.

Also, I have Spanish: Verbs and Essentials of Grammar, not the world's most exciting book, but a very
streamlined and practical guide to use. The back of the book proclaims: "The One Book That Does It All"! It
seems a little too much to promise . . . !

Other than that, I'm about halfway through Language in Thought and Action by S.I. Hayakawa. It is a little
dated, but has interesting ideas about language, most of which I've read about elsewhere.

I'm becoming very curious about the Harry Potter books. They sound like a lot of fun, and even more so in
several languages!

But I have not accomplished much at all these last two days after my computer hard drive crashed on Friday. I
wish my boastful little Spanish grammar manual could help me with that!

Edited by meramarina on 23 November 2009 at 1:54am

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 52 of 177
22 November 2009 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
meramarina wrote:

I'm becoming very curious about the Harry Potter books. They sound like a lot of fun, and even more so in several languages!

They're very mediocre. Their main advantages are that they're long, widely translated, and often have audiobooks. Aside from that, I can easily think of a lot of children's literature I'd consider better, much less literature in general.

That said, I should emphasize that they're mediocre, not horrible. They're far from the worst fiction available, and they're readable - more readable than quite a few pulp bestsellers.

Halie
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5891 days ago

80 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 53 of 177
23 November 2009 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
Well, I like the Harry Potters because I really did grow up with them, and they're easy to read in French because I already know the stories. They're fun, and the series does get better as they go along.

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5680 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 54 of 177
23 November 2009 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
I'm a voracious reader - and I find that so painful that I simply don't read if I try to force myself to use a dictionary frequently.

I used to be like that and for a long time shunned the use of a dictionary. Then one day I was reading by the computer and decided to look something up. I quickly realized how inadequate my mastery of both English and Spanish vocabulary was and have thence been happily reconstituting and enhancing my formerly hazy lexicon. And not only has it proven beneficial both for a fuller comprehension of reading material as well as for vocabulary acquisition, but it has been quite enjoyable too. I love for instance the little etymological notes included in many definitions at Answers.com.

Incidentally, this is how I discovered language learning - by looking up in an online German dictionary the titles of works referenced in the bibliography of a translation of a book originally written in that language.

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5574 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 55 of 177
23 November 2009 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
In French, I've started one more book by Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt: "Lorsque j'étais une œuvre d'art", because I like the author and I've already read "L'Évangile selon Pilate", "La Secte des Égoïstes" et "L'enfant de Noé" (the last one seems to me a litle bit too "moral", but I like it in spit of this). I also like very much Amélie Nothomb's books, especially "Stupeur et tremblements" et "Antéchrista".

jondesousa
Tetraglot
United States
goo.gl/Zgg3nRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6045 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Message 56 of 177
23 November 2009 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
I tend to read many books at once. Currently, I am reading four books. "História Geral do Brasil" (portuguese), Teach Yourself Series "Improve Your Italian", Lingua Latina Pars I: Familia Romana (Latin), and ”実力アップ日本語能力試験:三級” (Japanes e).

Edited by jondesousa on 23 November 2009 at 1:28pm

This discussion contains 177 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version