Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

You know you’re a language nerd when...

  Tags: Language Geek
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
3735 messages over 467 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 173 ... 466 467 Next >>
Olympia
Triglot
Senior Member
United States
Joined 4165 days ago

195 posts - 244 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Old English, French

 
 Message 1377 of 3735
07 January 2011 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
You are somewhat disappointed to find out your Brazilian guide during your university exchange in Sao Paulo speaks English, but are beyond thrilled when she prefers to converse in Portuguese.
1 person has voted this message useful



Levi
Pentaglot
Senior Member
United States
Joined 3751 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

 
 Message 1378 of 3735
11 January 2011 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
...when you get a foreign language song stuck in your head, and while singing it to yourself you finally realize what the lyrics mean.

Edited by Levi on 11 January 2011 at 6:55am

3 persons have voted this message useful



Matheus
Senior Member
Brazil
Joined 3265 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

 
 Message 1379 of 3735
11 January 2011 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
Last night I dreamed that I was studying. I think it's nerd enough.
1 person has voted this message useful



Thaorius
Diglot
Groupie
ArgentinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3727 days ago

40 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishB2

 
 Message 1380 of 3735
11 January 2011 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
Matheus wrote:
Last night I dreamed that I was studying. I think it's nerd
enough.

Nerd enough would be if you added "...and I was having a great time" :D.
2 persons have voted this message useful



Warp3
Senior Member
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 3719 days ago

1419 posts - 1765 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

 
 Message 1381 of 3735
11 January 2011 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
Levi wrote:
...when you get a foreign language song stuck in your head, and while singing it to yourself you finally realize what the lyrics mean.


I've done that. It's weird to have random lyrics playing in your head and then suddenly have the meaning of a phrase click that you hadn't caught before.
1 person has voted this message useful



seldnar
Senior Member
United States
Joined 5316 days ago

189 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, French, Greek

 
 Message 1382 of 3735
11 January 2011 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
kottoler.ello wrote:
karaipyhare wrote:

When you wake up with a big pain in the neck (I didn't know it hurt so much!) and the
first thing that pops out your head is "stiff neck", although you don't remember ever
having heard or read or learned that expression (English is not your mother tongue). So
you think your still-in-deep-dream-state mind just made that up. You jump off the bed
and go over the internet (despite the enormous pain it causes to move so abruptly)
because you HAVE TO verify if those words are correct and proper English. And yes they
are! It's not your mind playing tricks on you.


Although saying you have a "stiff neck" is neither wrong nor unintelligible, it's more common and idiomatic to
describe it as having a "crick" in one's neck, just fyi :)


"Stiff neck" is just fine for this native English speaker. Where I live, if someone said he had a crick in his neck I'd
assume him to be an elderly person from the countryside. If someone young said it, I'd assume they were trying
to be funny.

Ah, English. Just when you think you know it, another regional variation pops up.    However, having lived in
most regions of the US, I'd say that "stiff neck" is more widely used and understood.
6 persons have voted this message useful



psy88
Senior Member
United States
Joined 3775 days ago

467 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

 
 Message 1383 of 3735
12 January 2011 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
Thaorius wrote:
Matheus wrote:
Last night I dreamed that I was studying. I think it's nerd
enough.

Nerd enough would be if you added "...and I was having a great time" :D.


AND ...I was sorry to have woken up because I was enjoying the dream so much!"
1 person has voted this message useful



kottoler.ello
Tetraglot
Senior Member
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4187 days ago

128 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Mandarin, French
Studies: Japanese, German

 
 Message 1384 of 3735
12 January 2011 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
seldnar wrote:
kottoler.ello wrote:
karaipyhare wrote:

When you wake up with a big pain in the neck (I didn't know it hurt so much!) and the
first thing that pops out your head is "stiff neck", although you don't remember ever
having heard or read or learned that expression (English is not your mother tongue). So
you think your still-in-deep-dream-state mind just made that up. You jump off the bed
and go over the internet (despite the enormous pain it causes to move so abruptly)
because you HAVE TO verify if those words are correct and proper English. And yes they
are! It's not your mind playing tricks on you.


Although saying you have a "stiff neck" is neither wrong nor unintelligible, it's more common and idiomatic to
describe it as having a "crick" in one's neck, just fyi :)


"Stiff neck" is just fine for this native English speaker. Where I live, if someone said he had a crick in his neck I'd
assume him to be an elderly person from the countryside. If someone young said it, I'd assume they were trying
to be funny.

Ah, English. Just when you think you know it, another regional variation pops up.    However, having lived in
most regions of the US, I'd say that "stiff neck" is more widely used and understood.


Out of curiosity, which states would you say this applies to? I'm from Texas, but Dallas, where most people speak pretty standard General American English, and I never imagined "crick" would be dialectical or archaic. My mom does have a bit of a Texan accent, though, so I may have picked it up from her.
On a side note, I only recently noticed how often she describes something as a "big ow" ("big old" but the l and d on "old" are dropped completely) whatever it is and it bugs the heck out of me.


1 person has voted this message useful



This discussion contains 3735 messages over 467 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467  Next >>


Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version

You cannot post new topics in this forum - You cannot reply to topics in this forum - You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum - You cannot create polls in this forum - You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page was generated in 0.5781 seconds.


DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript
Copyright 2019 FX Micheloud - All rights reserved
No part of this website may be copied by any means without my written authorization.