Margarita
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5369 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2

Message 1 of 11
19 September 2009 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
Many people here mention that they learn by reading books in their target language or they read books to practise the new language. I am very curious to know where you get these books, especially with the more unusual languages.

-Do you get them online? If so, on what website?

-Do you get them from a local bookstore? Is this a store specialized in other language books?

-Do you get them from a library?

-Do you buy them when visiting a country where they speak the language you learn?

(and in what language did you buy these books?)

1 person has voted this message useful

Yukamina
Canada
Joined 6058 days ago

281 posts - 332 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean, French

Message 2 of 11
19 September 2009 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
I get books in Japanese online, and from the library. I get Chinese and Korean books from the library too. When they have a book sale, I can buy them too.

Margarita
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5369 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2

Message 3 of 11
19 September 2009 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
May I ask on what website you buy them? Is that a Japanese or Canadian website?

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6472 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 4 of 11
19 September 2009 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
I am rather fortunate since I am studying Russian. I can find ANYTHING online on lib.ru. However, I prefer to read books in the old-fashioned way and only use the Internet when I need specific texts, for sample letters or critical essays or nonfiction books in Russian. I don't use the Internet for fiction. At the moment I have quite a lot of Russian books so I don't really need any more until I have read a couple of the ones I already have. I got most of my books from a friend in Russia and some other friends abroad, and when I went to Russia I bought a whole lot of course.

When it comes to Hungarian, I bought all my books in Budapest one year ago, and I have some text from the Internet. However, one shouldn't underestimate secondhand book stores. Over the years I have found quite a lot of books in those, even a Hungarian translation of a Swedish book (perfect for parallel reading later on!). In Oslo I have found quite of a Russia books as well in secondhand book stores, for example a book of eastern poetry in Russian.

I usually don't borrow books at the library since I prefer to write in my books, and to read them however slowly I want :-)

By the way, don't forget EBAY! I got a lovely old edition of Anna Karenina in Russian from the French eBay (which I get tons of stuff from, eBay rocks). For French (I forgot about that language :P), I often order them from French bookstores (if not eBay) and have them shipped to me from friends in France, or buy them when I go there. And I happen to receive gifts as well, which is excellent.

2nd edit: University book stores are also worth checking out. When I walked around the Oslo University book store I found several Eng-Ru parallel books. Plus, they tend to have books in all the languages they teach, since literature is usually a part of language studies.

Edited by tricoteuse on 19 September 2009 at 6:29pm

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5443 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 5 of 11
19 September 2009 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
For Korean books, I use hanbooks.com. There's also aladdinus.com, but it's all in Korean. YesAsia is also good, but it won't allow my debit card to go through, so I kind of hate that site (though their deals are fantastic.) There's always Amazon in another language, too.

Yukamina
Canada
Joined 6058 days ago

281 posts - 332 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean, French

Message 6 of 11
19 September 2009 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
I use YesAsia(English) to buy them(free shipping). Next time I'm going to try a site called bk1(Japanese). They have better selection and I've heard good things about that site.

Hector
Diglot
Groupie
Spain
pasadoporagua.com
Joined 5403 days ago

52 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 7 of 11
19 September 2009 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
For Japanese I bought them in Japan through bookoff.co.jp , a big chain of second hand
bookstores. You can get them really cheap. When I moved back to spain I sent them by
parcel. I think you can get them cheap from bookoff and get them sent outside japan using
a service like tenso.com, although they only ship ems(expensive).

It is worth checking all the libraries close to you, you will find surprises sometimes!
(I found a very complete collection of old nihongo journals while wandering around in
leeds university's library !)

Louis
Triglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 5524 days ago

92 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish

Message 8 of 11
19 September 2009 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
For Spanish, I just go to the local Barnes & Noble. They have a section called "Libros en espaƱol." Additionally, I have just started using norli.no for Norwegian literature.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version