Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Can you master grammar by reading a LOT?

Tags: Reading | Grammar
 Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
14 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Toufik18
Bilingual Tetraglot
Algeria
Joined 5531 days ago

188 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, Arabic (classical)*, French, English

Message 1 of 14
22 September 2009 at 9:02am | IP Logged 
*mar :)
Hello
Generally speaking, if one knows "basic fluency" grammar in a given language, does reading a lot everyday makes him get the grip of the more difficult variations in a language with a fair rigidity in grammar, French for instence?
Merci a lot
2 persons have voted this message useful

Thaorius
Diglot
Groupie
ArgentinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5330 days ago

40 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishB2

Message 2 of 14
22 September 2009 at 9:08am | IP Logged 
In theory, yes. That's how I learned most of my English.

Do note, however, that you will have to make an effort to identify the constructs you do not understand/recognize, and try to remember them.

And even if you don't learn much grammar, your vocabulary should increase by a few orders of magnitude.

PD: Depending on how basic your current understanding of the language is, you might want to find simplistic reading material; maybe something for kids.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Toufik18
Bilingual Tetraglot
Algeria
Joined 5531 days ago

188 posts - 202 votes 

Message 3 of 14
22 September 2009 at 9:24am | IP Logged 
Thanx for your reply man.
I speak French at basic fluency, I can read an average novel in difficulty and understand about 90%, so vocabulary is not a problem,at least for now..
Quote :
you will have to make an effort to identify the constructs you do not understand/recognize, and try to remember them
That's exactely what I want t do, but I don't know how! I didn't learn French by my self.
I have a lot of grammar books for French, should I search the bizzar structures and practice or what?
Thank you
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6490 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 14
22 September 2009 at 9:26am | IP Logged 
The question is what you understand by "basic fluency" grammar. If that more or less is the whole morphological system plus the use of conjunctions, infinite verbal forms, the cases that goes with specific prepositions and things like that, then the learning the rest of the syntax will be fairly close to learning the idiomatics of your target language.

And that can be done through reading, provided that you stay alert to these things and don't focus entirely on the meaning. One trick to do this is to choose a certain grammatical phenomen and then keep that on your mind while reading or listening. It really doesn't matter which phenomenon you choose (it could for instance be prepositions after verbs in English), because being alert to one phenomenon will also make you notice other things in the form of the message. The imporant thing is to avoid being focused entirely on the meaning.

But those things in grammar that can be formalized and put into a system will be more efficiently learned if you do consult a grammar when you are intrigued by something. And you can only consult a grammar efficiently if you know where to find what in that book.

EDIT: not impeccable enough, though - I have had to correct two typos

Edited by Iversen on 23 September 2009 at 1:08am

9 persons have voted this message useful

Toufik18
Bilingual Tetraglot
Algeria
Joined 5531 days ago

188 posts - 202 votes 

Message 5 of 14
22 September 2009 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
Impeccable as always :)
Thank you so much Iverson.
By "basic fluency" grammar I mean that I can recognize most of the writing "styles" in a given text (an intermediate one), so the basic structure of the language is not the tpic here, but how can I expand my grammatical variations when writing or speaking, and making accurate distinguishes between the small nuences of a bizzar grammatical phenomenon (to me, of course) .

Edited by Toufik18 on 22 September 2009 at 9:50am

1 person has voted this message useful

Luís_RJ
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 5350 days ago

12 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English

Message 6 of 14
22 September 2009 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Reading what ? it also depends on what you're reading. Even journalists make mistakes. But I think that reading itself is not enough to improve grammar rules, because there will be subtle differences that only a foreign student bothers about and a native speaker may not take into account.

For instance, some months ago I came across the conjunction "as" instead of "when", which made me confused. I could suppose the meaning by the context, and yet, the next time I came across this situation I would have already mastered this idea, but I couldn't assume that I would be able to write precisely.

However, the problem gets worse when someone explains to you that a certain "rule" or verb sounds weird in the spoken language and it's only used in written documents.

Yeah, you should have a grammar book, not only to know what you should write, but how and when. The grammar exceptions and stylistics are tough, much more than the rules.
3 persons have voted this message useful

lancemanion
Triglot
United States
Joined 5359 days ago

150 posts - 166 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Thai
Studies: French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 7 of 14
23 September 2009 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
If you do nothing but read, and have no other exposure to a language, probably not.
2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version