United States
Joined 5974 days ago

200 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Korean*, English

Message 1 of 11
23 September 2009 at 7:45am | IP Logged 
Homer Hulbert commented on the efficiency of the expressive style of the Korean
language as follows:

The Korean's keen sense of social distinctions has given rise to a complete system of
honorifics whose proper use is essential to a rational use of the language. And yet
numerous as these may he their use is so regulated by unwritten law and there are so
few exceptions that they are far easier to master than the *personal terminations of
Indo-European verbs.* [what is this?] The grammatical superiority of Korean over many
of the Western languages is that while, in the latter, differences of gender, number and
person which would usually be perfectly clear from the context are carefully noted, in
the Korean these are left to the speaker's and the hearer's perspicacity, and attention is
concentrated upon a terse and luminous collocation of ideas, which is often secured in
the West only by a tedious circumlocution.

The genius of the language has led the Korean to express every possible verbal relation
by a separate modal form. The extent to which this has been carried may be shown
only by illustration. Besides having simple forms to express the different tenses and
modes, it also has forms to express all those more delicate verbal relations which in
English require a circumlocution or the free use of adverbs. For instance, the Korean
has a special mode to express the idea of necessity, contingency, surprise, reproof,
antithesis, conjunction, temporal sequence, logical sequence, interruption, duration,
limit, acquiescence, expostulation, interrogation, promise, exhortation, imprecation,
desire, doubt, hypothesis, satisfaction, propriety, concession, intention, decision,
probability, possibility, prohibition, simultaneity, continuity, repetition, infrequency,
hearsay, agency, contempt, ability. Each one of these ideas can be expressed in
connection with any active verb by the simple addition of one or more inseparable
suffixes. By far the greater number of these suffixes are monosyllabic.

To illustrate the delicate shades of thought that can be expressed by the use of a
suffix let us take the English expression, "I was going along the road, when suddenly
—" This, without anything more, implies that the act of going was suddenly
interrupted by some unforeseen circumstance. All this would be expressed in Korean
by the three words naga kile kataga (내가 길에 가다가). The first means " I," the
second means " along the road," and the third means "was going, when suddenly —"
The stem of the verb is ka, and the ending, taga, indicates the interruption of
the action. And what is more to the point, this ending has absolutely no other use. It is
reserved solely for the expression of this shade of thought. Again, on the same stem
we have the word kalka (갈까), in which the ending ka gives all the meaning
that we connote in the expression, " I wonder whether he will really go or not." If, in
answer to the question whether you are going or not you say simply kana (가나), it
means, "What in the world would I be going for? Absurd! "
No people have followed more implicitly nature's law in the matter of euphony. The
remarkable law of the convertibility of surds and sonants has been worked out to its
ultimate results in this language. The nice adjustment of the organs of speech, whereby
conflicting sounds are so modified as to blend harmoniously, is one of the unconscious
Korean arts. The euphonic tendency has not broken down the languages, as is
sometimes the case. Prof. Max Müller speaks of a law of phonetic decay, but in Korea it
would be better called the law of phonetic adjustment. Korean is characterised by a
large number of mimetic words. As their colours are drawn directly from nature, so
their words are often merely phonetic descriptions.

The Korean language is eminently adapted for public speaking. It is a sonorous, vocal
language. They have grasped the idea that the vowel is the basis of all human speech.
The sibilant element is far less conspicuous than in Japanese, and one needs only to
hear a public speech in Japanese and one in Korean to discover the great advantage
which the latter enjoys. *The lack of all accent in Japanese words is a serious drawback
to oratory.* [what accent? I don't see know of any accent in Korean like Spanish or
English does.] There is nothing in Korean speech that makes it less adapted to oratory
than English or any other Western tongue. In common with the language of Cicero or
Demosthenes, Korean is composed of periodic sentences, each one reaching its climax
in the verb which is usually the final word, and there are no weakening addenda which
so often make the English sentence an anticlimax. In this respect the Korean surpasses
English as a medium of public speaking."

The Passing of
Korea (1909) pg. 302-304

Edited by sebngwa3 on 23 September 2009 at 7:57am

2 persons have voted this message useful

sebngwa3
Diglot
United States
Joined 5974 days ago

200 posts - 217 votes 

Message 2 of 11
23 September 2009 at 7:46am | IP Logged 
Does Japanese have the equivalent of "taga" as shown here?

Edited by sebngwa3 on 23 September 2009 at 7:59am

1 person has voted this message useful

ericspinelli
Diglot
Japan
Joined 5593 days ago

249 posts - 493 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Italian

Message 3 of 11
23 September 2009 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
sebngwa3 wrote:
*personal terminations of
Indo-European verbs.* [what is this?]

I believe he is referring to the conjugation for person and number in the verbs of many Indo-European languages (e.g., I am, you are, he is, etc.)

sebngwa3 wrote:
*The lack of all accent in Japanese words is a serious drawback
to oratory.* [what accent? I don't see know of any accent in Korean like Spanish or
English does.]

Japanese does lack a syllabic stress accent like English or Spanish, though many Japanese dialects (including the standard Tokyo dialect) do make use of pitch accent. Do note that the author never actually mentions existence of accent in Korean, he merely implies it. Regardless, I see this and other comments regarding oratory as subjective at best. The piece as a whole is definitely biased.

sebngwa3 wrote:
Does Japanese have the equivalent of "taga" as shown here?

No, there is no verb inflection to represent the interruption of an action. Japanese uses both affixation of auxiliary verbs and the use of nominalizers to modify verbs. What Korean does with "taga" would most likely be done with a nominalizer and/or adverbs.

sebngwa3
Diglot
United States
Joined 5974 days ago

200 posts - 217 votes 

Message 4 of 11
02 October 2009 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
The Korean-Japanese dictionary gives the equivalent of 가다가 as たまに;ときどき;ときお
り;ときた
ま。

What does these Japanese exactly mean?

http://jpdic.naver.com/search.nhn?query=가다가

Edited by sebngwa3 on 02 October 2009 at 6:57pm

wiseachoo
United States
Joined 5354 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 5 of 11
02 October 2009 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Well I can help you out with one of them (obviously I could look them all up but don't have time right now).

ときどき generally means "sometimes", at least in the contexts I've used it during my studies.

Yukamina
Canada
Joined 6074 days ago

281 posts - 332 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean, French

Message 6 of 11
03 October 2009 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
たまに occasionally, once in a while

ときどき;ときおり sometimes

ときたま Haven't heard this one and my dictionary doesn't recognize it.

sebngwa3
Diglot
United States
Joined 5974 days ago

200 posts - 217 votes 

Message 7 of 11
03 October 2009 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
Nevermind that must be wrong translation.

This is it:
行ってから

source - http://jpdic.naver.com/search.nhn?query=가다가

Edited by sebngwa3 on 03 October 2009 at 1:25am

sebngwa3
Diglot
United States
Joined 5974 days ago

200 posts - 217 votes 

Message 8 of 11
03 October 2009 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
But when I enter てから it returns 하고 나서. …한 다음. …하고서 which means "after".

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version