sebngwa3
Diglot
United States
Joined 5951 days ago

200 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Korean*, English

Message 1 of 169
27 September 2009 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
I was thinking majoring in a language isn't a good idea because it's not very useful in the real world and you can learn it much faster on your own than at the pace of their teaching. True?
1 person has voted this message useful

modestblues
Bahamas
Joined 5344 days ago

33 posts - 54 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 2 of 169
27 September 2009 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
Majoring in English.

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5354 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 3 of 169
27 September 2009 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
I found language courses good for introducing me to languages, but of course you have
to take them outside the classroom to get enough exposure and practice to get any good
at them.

If you ask me, there are two main advantages to taking a language course (combined with
independent study in your free time of course). The first is that you are forced to
actually produce the language. Too often in self-study this gets overlooked and the
focus is on input. The second is that you have regular access to a native speaker who
can correct your mistakes. I don't think the pace of the teaching should be a major
issue; if you find yourself picking up the language more quickly than the class is
going, then just skip to some more advanced level courses for the next semester.

The main drawback with a language course, I find, is that it can turn the language into
a task that you have to do rather than an enjoyable activity that you choose to do. All
the homework and studying for tests, if it gets overwhelming, can stress you out and
make the language less fun, and that will only get in the way of acquiring the
language. This actually caused me to drop out of one of my language courses (2nd year
Mandarin), and as a consequence I didn't practice my Mandarin at all for a couple years
after that. Only now am I getting back into it and finding the fun in it again.

Personally, I majored in linguistics. Sure, it doesn't have a lot of application in the
"real world", but it is my primary intellectual passion and I'm a firm believer in
studying what you are passionate about. And besides, I don't think I could have made it
through four years of college studying any other subject. I went to school with a lot
of people who chose majors solely on the basis that they were useful for getting high-
paying jobs, majors that they had no passion for and hardly any interest in. They
generally did poorly in their classes and many of them failed to graduate. Not that you
shouldn't consider how useful your major is in the real world, just that it's critical
you choose a subject you find particularly interesting.

Edited by Levi on 27 September 2009 at 5:50pm

12 persons have voted this message useful

Choscura
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5335 days ago

61 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*, Thai

Message 4 of 169
27 September 2009 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Majoring in computer science. Working on my education whenever school doesn't interfere.
5 persons have voted this message useful

ericspinelli
Diglot
Japan
Joined 5570 days ago

249 posts - 493 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Italian

Message 5 of 169
27 September 2009 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
I majored in both Electrical Engineering and Applied Physics. I took zero language courses in university and, at the time, was quite pleased about that. Later I did look into an additional degree in East Asian Studies (Japanese) but opted to come and work in Japan instead.

I think majoring in a language is just as acceptable as majoring in, say, history - whether you have the intention to become a teacher or not. If you truly enjoy the subject and, in the case of languages, enjoy not only learning how to speak it but also learning about it, it's no less of a pursuit than anything else.

On the other hand, I do feel that most people should be at least warned of the practical uses of a language degree. It's important to remember that there will always be many (often millions) of native speakers who are not only your better linguistically but spent those same four years learning an additional skill. Even in cases where your skill in multiple languages (the easy example being translation/interpretation) you are still likely best off gaining a practical skill or formal qualifications in another field (e.g., law, medicine, engineering, etc.).
2 persons have voted this message useful

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5781 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 6 of 169
27 September 2009 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
Double degree in International Business and International Relations minoring in Italian...
2 persons have voted this message useful

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5362 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Latvian

Message 7 of 169
27 September 2009 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
My Degree is in Psychology, with a minor in Biology. I'm currently working on my MBA with an International focus. I would like to go back for a BA in French with a minor in Russian or German once I'm done with my MBA.

I think a BA in a language, combined with international relations, business, or political science minors; can be extremely useful depends on the drive of the individual. Are you interested in going after a Graduate Degree? Language degrees with a good minor open a lot of Graduate School possibilities.

sebngwa3
Diglot
United States
Joined 5951 days ago

200 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Korean*, English

Message 8 of 169
27 September 2009 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
Wouldn't it be a waste of money to go to college to get a language degree?

This discussion contains 169 messages over 22 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version