Grosse Affe
United States
Joined 6623 days ago

32 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 25 of 169
28 September 2009 at 4:17am | IP Logged 
A friend of mine from high school went to college and majored in French and Spanish. Her
parents were professors of one or both when we were in high school. The point was that
she already knew those languages, so really she just went to college to party.

Anywayyyyy, afterwards while working at a car rental chain (what a waste of a college
degree), she admitted that she wished she had minored in language but majored in
International Business so that she could actually use some of those languages skills.

Just my 2cent story. Take what you will from it.
3 persons have voted this message useful

MegatronFilm
Triglot
United States
peligrosa.tumblr.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5725 days ago

130 posts - 275 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 26 of 169
28 September 2009 at 4:41am | IP Logged 
I'm studying documentary production. I'm definitely going to need to know languages in my field if I want to work
internationally. I'm taking a french class but my college only offers basic classes. I always study Spanish and french
outside of class. It bothers me that my school doesn't have many opportunities for students to learn other
languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

Glendonian
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 5504 days ago

26 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: French*, English*
Studies: German, Italian

Message 27 of 169
28 September 2009 at 4:42am | IP Logged 
History, especially European, especially Early Modern.

I did two years of German classes too. It was helpful. Third year didn't really fit my schedule, and I didn't see the
need for the class. I'd like to do the teaching abroad thing too. So overwhelming.

Belardur
Octoglot
Germany
Joined 5398 days ago

148 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2, Spanish, Dutch, Latin, Ancient Greek, French, Lowland Scots
Studies: Biblical Hebrew, Italian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Korean

Message 28 of 169
28 September 2009 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
hombre gordo wrote:
Has anyone studied a degree abroad?

I think it would be great to study a degree at a university in the land of one's target language.

Can anyone recommend any general information sites aimed at people wishing to study degree programs/post graduate programs abroad? Any information about the process?

Also I see that a lot of people have post graduate degrees in something much different to their undergraduate degree courses. I have a Korean friend who majored in English literature and is now studying a masters degree in town planning. Just exactly how flexible is this? Can many subjects be studied at post graduate level without having an undergraduate degree in the same subject?

Well, I did my foundation stuff in the US (I'm an American) and now I'm doing Ph.D. work in Germany, so I guess I fit your criteria. I don't have a general info site for you though, I got all my info from the Uni's website (I knew where I was headed, haha - it helps when you are looking based on what has a good reputation in your field).

As for your second question, I know in the US you often don't have to have a related undergrad degree for many grad programs (though you may have to have the GRE), and I know that it's very different in Germany, I'm told no one would be in a grad program without a corresponding undergrad degree. So I guess it matters what country you are in, as to whether one can do that or not.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6465 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 29 of 169
28 September 2009 at 9:12am | IP Logged 
I constantly hear people talking about having this or that degress but working with something compleeeetely different, so I'm feeling more and more that it doesn't really matter what you choose.

I agree with whomever said that people don't believe you know a language if you don't have a degree. Over here you can't skip any classes just because you already know the language either , even if you're a native...

I don't have anything finished yet (and I'm not sure our programs work the same way yours do), but I guess one could say that I'm 65% done with one bachelor (in Sweden) and I started another one this fall (in Norway), and I'm kind of working on both at the same time. The first one is a major in French with a minor in history (perhaps) , the second one a major in Russian and minor in Russian culture studies. Since I haven't spent any money on my education yet, I don't really care what I do with it. If everything fails I can always become a teacher of French and Russian, provided I take another pedagogic year to get the right to teach.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5938 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 30 of 169
28 September 2009 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
I majored in computer science back in the '90's, with further specialization in artificial intelligence and computer vision systems. We did a LOT of computational linguistics, and human studies on language acquisition. I often wonder if this has skewed my approach to language learning.

Edited by DaraghM on 28 September 2009 at 10:58am

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5837 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 31 of 169
28 September 2009 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
Levi wrote:
sebngwa3 wrote:
What job did you get with the degree in linguistics? I was thinking if
this gets you no job, might as well become a skilled worker like like welder, plumber,
etc, and then study linguistics in your free time.

Well, I only graduated last year, and haven't found a language-related job yet. In this
economy, I'm just thankful I have any job at all. I'm working as an assistant manager at
a retail store.

Sir, I salute you.

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6446 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 32 of 169
28 September 2009 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
My BA is in French, and my MA is in English, mostly linguistics.

This discussion contains 169 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version