Diglot
United States
Joined 5370 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 33 of 169
28 September 2009 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
I'll be going for mechanical engineering, and later move on to medical school to become an orthopedic surgeon/cardiologist.

I'm studying Spanish and German in case I want to leave the US. If universal health care passes, doctors salaries will be capped at 60 grand, and I wouldn't be able to pay off my loans.

So, I'll either move to Germany or Mexico/Puerto Rico in order to make a living. Which I am fine with :)

I hope to be completely fluent in 3-4 languages by age 35. :)

-Jordan
2 persons have voted this message useful

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6800 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 35 of 169
28 September 2009 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
My degree's in engineering and I have a PGCE in Maths.

Theoretically, I went abroad to study but the course was in English so it wasn't too bad.
1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 36 of 169
28 September 2009 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
I'm majoring in International Business. I'm thinking of double-majoring in finance, and when I go for my MBAs, it'll be for IB. My focus is on East Asia, since that's where the money is at. Luckily for me, I've been interested in those countries' (Japan, China, Taiwan, South Korea) pop culture, among other things, for years anyways.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5632 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 37 of 169
28 September 2009 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
I haven't obtained any university degree, but when I studied Romance Philology many years ago, I chose Spanish as a major and Italian and Pedagogics/Education as minor subjects. For such a "Magisterstudium" I had to chose three subjects in total.

I wanted to teach foreign languages to adults, but later I recognized that private language schools in Germany generally don't want to hire non-native speakers to teach foreign languages.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 28 September 2009 at 11:19pm

lecorbeau
Diglot
Croatia
Joined 5805 days ago

113 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Serbo-Croatian, Turkish

Message 38 of 169
28 September 2009 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
I am currently in my last year of "International Studies-Linguistics & European Studies (concentrations) and a minor
in Communication". Phew---a mouthful, I know.

No idea what I want to do as of yet, but am looking to spend a couple years abroad and obtain a target-language
Master somewhere in Europe.

I don't necessarily think studying languages at a university is a waste of time, but I do know that I learn a lot more
on my own.

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5370 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 39 of 169
29 September 2009 at 4:00am | IP Logged 
Is college really as hard as people make it out to be? some of my older friends only have 2 classes a day (if that)... it seems easier than high school :D besides the homework. Input anyone?

MegatronFilm
Triglot
United States
peligrosa.tumblr.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5723 days ago

130 posts - 275 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 40 of 169
29 September 2009 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
Well it depends on the schedule and the classes that semester. Usually taking 3 or more classes of your major in
one semester is asking for high stress. Students commonly take 4 classes (4 credits each) per semester at my
school. As a media student this means that I must do tons of outside work besides the work from the classes. I
barely ever have free time. The free time I have I'm studying languages and on here :)
The classes, at my school at least, are usually not that difficult with the material. I'm not majoring in linguistics,
this is media production. Its all about endurance, being able to tackle major problems quickly, being sleep deprived
and loving what you do.
It all depends on the area of study and how seriously a student will take it. College for some students can be a
party all the time. I get one party weekend out of the semester if I'm lucky. I'm usually on overnight film sets.

This discussion contains 169 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version