BobMc
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

36 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 57 of 376
12 October 2009 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
One cheaper way to get Pimsleur is from audible.com. They sell each of the 3 Pimsleur Spanish levels for 6 credits, and you can get 24 credits from audible for $229 with their platinum plan.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Woodpecker
Triglot
United States
Joined 5571 days ago

351 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 58 of 376
12 October 2009 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
I'd add to all the resources mentioned, the great (or I assume they're all great based off the French version) series of graded readers written by Karl Sandberg. The only three available are "French for Reading," "Spanish for Reading," and "German for Reading," but the first is excellent and the others get great reviews everywhere I've seen any.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5659 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 59 of 376
13 October 2009 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
I must say that my all-time favorite is Introduction to Sanskrit in 2 vols. by Thomas Egenes. Using a step-by-step approach and a generous provision of examples and exercises (with answers) Egenes succeeds in making one of the most complex languages a breeze to learn. It is the absolute best language textbook I have ever used and recommend it unreservedly.

Edited by JuanM on 13 October 2009 at 10:08pm

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5335 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Latvian

Message 60 of 376
14 October 2009 at 1:16am | IP Logged 
Oh! The New Penguin Russian Course...I haven't started it yet but combined with Assimil I think I'm gold for getting to B1 or maybe B2 in Russian.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6654 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 61 of 376
14 October 2009 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
Pricing and legality issues aside, I found Pimsleur an effective way to get started and assimilate the basics of a language as difficult as Mandarin. It took me all of 18 months to slog through the complete set of 90 lessons, requiring anything from six to twenty repetitions of each one.

In the case of an "easier" language Pimsleur would have been too slow-paced and too low ambition level for me. I think I'd have run out of patience with it somewhere between lesson two and three.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6916 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 62 of 376
14 October 2009 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
administrator wrote:
What are your favorite language program?
I will use your results to create new tags/keywords so that you can dig out every post about your favorite program from the forum 5 year archive.
Thanks!

If we define "Language Program" as "Brand" or "Publisher" of language courses then it depends for me. Because I study "unpopular" languages, I'm sometimes forced to look beyond the commonly-used publishers for my materials. The approach, presentation and depth of coverage used by the course's author is much more important than the course's "publishing / branding flag".

For BCS / Serbo-Croatian, my favourite coursebook (so far) is "Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian - A Textbook" published by the University of Wisconsin.

For Estonian, my favourite coursebook (so far) is "Teach Yourself Estonian"

For Finnish, my favourite coursebook (so far) is "Finnish for Foreigners" published by Otava.

For Hungarian, my favourite coursebook (so far) is "Colloquial Hungarian" (older edition - the newer edition of "Colloquial Hungarian" isn't quite as good in my experience)

For Polish, my favourite coursebooks (so far) are published by Slavica (e.g. "Intermediate Polish") and Universitas (e.g. "Z polskim na ty")

For Slovak, my favourite coursebooks (so far) are published by Slavica (i.e. "Beginning Slovak") and Comenius University (e.g. "Slovenčina pre cudzincov - Gramatická a pravopisná cvičebnica")

When available, I like to use FSI Basic Courses but more as supplements since their value for me lies in how many drills they offer.

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 5993 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 63 of 376
16 October 2009 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
Why is Spoken Languague series not listed in the tags? I had recommend and use it for Russian.

Dale
1 person has voted this message useful

janababe
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5274 days ago

102 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German

Message 64 of 376
21 October 2009 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
hobbitofny wrote:
Why is Spoken Languague series not listed in the tags? I had recommend and use it for
Russian.

Dale

Why's that Dale? Is it good for learning the alphabet and pronunciation?

I've used Rosetta Stone and MT for French and can say that they're quite a load of sh!t. Rosetta Stone labels
everything and doesn't actually teach you, and MT has students who are mental - after you learn something they
just don't get it right.

Tell Me More is more enjoyable but I've only tried the news reports.

Edited by Rhian on 18 November 2009 at 11:07pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 376 messages over 47 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version