Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 105 of 376
16 April 2010 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
Khublei wrote:
I love Pimsleur for Russian. Using LingQ at the moment or it and love
that too. Tried
Michel Thomas and it really annoys me.
When I was learning Spanish I used Linguaphone. It was perfect for me at the time as I
was new to language learning so I liked the slow pace.

Could you explain a little what LingQ is exactly? Going on the site doesn't provide a
whole lot of information...
2 persons have voted this message useful

pythonbyte
United Kingdom
Joined 5687 days ago

26 posts - 28 votes
Studies: French, German

Message 106 of 376
16 April 2010 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
Linguaphone, although expensive is the best program I've used. You get what you pay for I assume. Most Teach youself courses are banal and Assimil is not the silver bullet many seem to think.
1 person has voted this message useful

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6205 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 107 of 376
16 April 2010 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu: You pay a monthly fee to read articles in LingQ, which is basically a database system. It highlights words that you don't know, and clicking on them brings up a place where you can search dictionaries and put in what it means. Hovering your mouse over words that you've added definitions to pops up the definition. The vast majority of the articles in the LingQ system also have audio. LingQ also has a built-in flashcard system, but I found it to be rather rudimentary.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5189 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 108 of 376
16 April 2010 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
One of the things I love about this forum is the diversity of responses. Such is human nature. Some people love Michel Thomas; others hate it. The same can be said for all methods and programs. Rosetta Stone gets a lot of licks here, but outside of this forum quite a few people seem to like it.

I have dabbled in most of these programs and nothing has ever really impressed me. Like most people here I suppose, I have a shelf full of books, tapes and cassettes. I find most methods too slow and boring. My biggest complaint is that few methods really attempt to teach how to speak at an advanced level. Actually, I've come to the conclusion that the only way to achieve such a level is through actual immersion in the country.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 109 of 376
16 April 2010 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
josht wrote:
Arekkusu: You pay a monthly fee to read articles in LingQ, which is basically a database system. It highlights words that you don't know, and clicking on them brings up a place where you can search dictionaries and put in what it means. Hovering your mouse over words that you've added definitions to pops up the definition. The vast majority of the articles in the LingQ system also have audio. LingQ also has a built-in flashcard system, but I found it to be rather rudimentary.

Thanks. Like a non-video version of Yabla, I guess.

Khublei
Bilingual Triglot
Yugoslavia
homestayperu.net
Joined 5106 days ago

90 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: English*, Irish*, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Khasi, French, Albanian

Message 110 of 376
17 April 2010 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
josht wrote:
Arekkusu: You pay a monthly fee to read articles in
LingQ, which is basically a database system. It highlights words that you don't know,
and clicking on them brings up a place where you can search dictionaries and put in
what it means. Hovering your mouse over words that you've added definitions to pops up
the definition. The vast majority of the articles in the LingQ system also have audio.
LingQ also has a built-in flashcard system, but I found it to be rather rudimentary.

Thanks. Like a non-video version of Yabla, I guess.

I don't pay any monthly fee, that's for added extras. I use it because my reading of
the Cyrillic alphabet isn't perfect yet, so I don't trust myself to read something and
pronounce it correctly. So I listen and follow the script online. It has really helped
me so far.
I must check out this Yabla too.   

dolly
United States
Joined 5549 days ago

191 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin

Message 111 of 376
17 April 2010 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
I just started Pimsleur Turkish, and doing one lesson (or a repeat of a lesson) each day is just right because it won't take a lot of time away from studying Italian and reading French. In a few months or so I'll start Elementary Turkish by Kurtuluş Öztopçu. It's a university textbook with CDs and answers to exercises.

What I like about Pimsleur is the required interaction with the material. You really have to think.

I got started in French with Michel Thomas and Rosetta Stone, but I only did RS because it was free.

I got started in Italian with Assimil. THIS is my favorite program. It can't be beat for the ratio of price to amount of material, audio is crystal-clear, and new material is introduced at a comfortable pace.

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6759 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 112 of 376
18 April 2010 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
pythonbyte wrote:
Linguaphone, although expensive is the best program I've used. You get what you pay for I assume. Most Teach youself courses are banal and Assimil is not the silver bullet many seem to think.

Harumph !
I had a try at teach yourself Icelandic. A bad course for ME akin to the host's "hair shirt way of learning languages". Some heavily brained learners may be successful with it, but I need light, not boring smart courses.

But when you say " Assimil is not the silver bullet many seem to think" I reply it IS to those who succeed with it the silver bullet that it actually IS for THEM.
I admit I can't understand how one cannot be successful with Assimil. Different mindsets maybe. But it is a very good tool for reaching a conversational level for somewhat lazy learners like me , and for those not lazy , it should prove very good. .

This discussion contains 376 messages over 47 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version