homestayperu.net
Joined 5106 days ago

90 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: English*, Irish*, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Khasi, French, Albanian

Message 161 of 376
19 October 2010 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
habadzi wrote:
There are choices in Albanian that are not well known. There is the old Newmark book those cassettes only cover a part of the book, but the method is fine (they say it's the accent of Kosovo, but it does not matter.)

Newmark, Leonard, et al. Spoken Albanian (Monterey: Spoken Languages Services, 1990).   Has cassettes, is for sale at amazon of Canada.

There is the Kurti method for sale at amazon with a tape, which would have been ok for the money, but it's disastrously full of errors. I don't know the state of its followup, I would not trust it. Then there is Ramazan Hyza, whose tapes I have heard but don't know what the text looks like.

I was lucky to find as a photocopy the communist era Kostallari, Androkli (ed.) (1989). Gjuha letrare shqipe. Tiranë: Shtëpia botuese e librit shkollor with digitized tapes up to lesson 25. Someone should turn this into a pdf and post it on the web. The author is dead, but his daughter might not mind.

For more advanced texts there is the Dunwoody Press Albanian newspaper reader with tapes.

With Albanian, an understanding of etymology helps a great deal. Words that seem gibberish are in fact Latin or Greek. I am Greek and at an advantage with Albanian, but I studied with Vladimir Orel's etymological dictionary by my side. A sense of etymology can help with strange stuff like those changing articles. Find the indoeuropean roots in the middle of the words. (ask me for more details.)

Thank you for that! Sorry, I only saw it now.

Right now I'm loving the Vaughan system for Spanish. It's meant for English to Spanish but I'm using the sheets to learn some specific sentences. Have it here on my desk and work and every so often read a few more!
1 person has voted this message useful

noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5099 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1
Studies: TurkishA1, Korean

Message 162 of 376
27 October 2010 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
Last weekend, I bought a set of Langenscheidt - Niederlandisch Praktisches Lehrbuch and after I heard the dialogue of the first lesson (and it's my first time hearing the sounds/dialogue in Dutch), I fell in love with this language and I just can't stop saying "wat grappig" (which means how funny)! I surprised myself that I even uttered the words "wat grappig" the moment I woke up the past 2 days. Goodness, talking about having a catchphrase!

Anyway, the dialogue of each lesson is carried out twice: first, it is spoken at natural speed, and the second time it is played, it is repeated at a slower pace. The box comes along with 3 CDs and a coursebook, and according to Langenscheidt, one should 'expect' to reach the B1 level by the time one completes the course.

Guess, I will go back to my Niederlandisch lesson now.

Wat grappig!!!

Edited by noriyuki_nomura on 27 October 2010 at 10:00pm

globus
Pentaglot
Germany
learnwithmusic.wordp
Joined 5370 days ago

28 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French, Dutch, Polish

Message 163 of 376
31 October 2010 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
Hehe, wat grappig ! :)

I bought "Power-Sprachkurs Niederländisch" from PONS to begin to learn Dutch. And I'm glad that I've chosen this book because it really helps you to get the basic knowledge. After several lessons as a German native speaker, I have already been able to follow the Dutch newsreader. That was impressive :)

It includes 2 CDs, one for the coursebook lessons and another MP3 CD with vocabulary lessons on-the-go. 27€? No doubt.

Wat handig!!

noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5099 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1
Studies: TurkishA1, Korean

Message 164 of 376
31 October 2010 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
Hoi Globus :)

Dank u for your information! Btw, what does wat handig mean??? :)
I must say that, my knowledge of German (and English) has helped me
a great deal in learning/understanding Dutch. Somehow, I find Dutch
to be such a cute language, and I simply adore listening to my CD
recorded my Ipod for hours, hehehehe...and the lively dialogues in
the Langenscheidt program are really very engaging, since I like
my language programmes to come along with abit of music and 'background
sounds', which make the dialogues seem more 'real-life'...

wat grappig!   

globus wrote:
Hehe, wat grappig ! :)

I bought "Power-Sprachkurs Niederländisch" from PONS to begin to learn Dutch. And I'm glad that I've chosen this book because it really helps you to get the basic knowledge. After several lessons as a German native speaker, I have already been able to follow the Dutch newsreader. That was impressive :)

It includes 2 CDs, one for the coursebook lessons and another MP3 CD with vocabulary lessons on-the-go. 27€? No doubt.

Wat handig!!

Edited by noriyuki_nomura on 31 October 2010 at 7:31pm

globus
Pentaglot
Germany
learnwithmusic.wordp
Joined 5370 days ago

28 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French, Dutch, Polish

Message 165 of 376
01 November 2010 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
noriyuki_nomura wrote:
Hoi Globus :)

Dank u for your information! Btw, what does wat handig mean??? :)

As far as I know it means something like "How useful!". Any native speaker wants to correct me? :)

Groetjes

erinserb
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6955 days ago

135 posts - 144 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 166 of 376
11 November 2010 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
French in Action, Assimil and Learning French by Podcast

PandaLang
Diglot
France
Joined 4966 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Turkish, Arabic (classical)

Message 167 of 376
15 November 2010 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
If you have an iPhone there are several very useful Apps in order to learn a new language.
1) some will propose "real" lessons (there are many),
2) some will focus on helping you memorize vocabulary.

For the 2), I really like 2 apps:
- iVocabulary: when you want to learn "pre-formatted" lists downloaded from the internet,
- iVocAudio (which just came out a week ago!).

iVocAudio looks very appealing to me because it focuses on auditive memory, and for me it's the quickest way to learn, because of the way it works.
Actually, during whatever lessons, when reading, when watching TV etc. = everytime you want to memorize a word or an expression, you just "say it" in the microphone of the iPhone with related translation. Then during the "play mode", the App will ask you the questions (so you'll hear your voice) and you classically answer "I know" or "I don't know". So it goes very fast, and after finishing the list of words, the App knows what words will cause you to suffer ;-) You'll work those in priority and that's why it goes fast.

Anyway, for me it's a revolution because it's the first time I can work "hard" my vocabulary anywhere (bus, car, walking etc.) only through audio.

Do you have other examples like that?

Aquila
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 5240 days ago

104 posts - 128 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German
Studies: French

Message 168 of 376
15 November 2010 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
I use flashcard apps on my iPod touch like Anki and Flashcardsdeluxe. I used to learn with real self-written paper flashcards, but I had so many cards at the end. Now I use only the apps wich are really nice because it's very easy to carry everywhere.

This discussion contains 376 messages over 47 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version