Groupie
Austria
Joined 4834 days ago

92 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian
Studies: Portuguese

Message 185 of 376
22 January 2011 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
I like Assimil, I learnt all of my initial German using it. I have Assimil's 'Italian With Ease' and 'Italienisch in der Praxis' (Using Italian - it's in German because it doesn't exist in English) and I have just commenced with 'New French With Ease). At the moment I'm combining FSI's basic French course with Assimil to have two perspectives. Assimil for the vocabulary and variety, and FSI for the speaking practice. So far the FSI is little bit of hard work but it seems to be working because I remember the vocabulary quite easily or rather due to the repetition.

Like everyone else here I've read and tried many different books etc., one I own is Berlitz's 'Think and Talk German - Advanced'. I completed the course over 10 years ago and thought it was excellent. My belongings are currently in storage on the other side of world and when I have I this course in my hands again I will go through it. I'd like to improve my writing and I think it will help. It is comprehensive and goes through the advanced grammar structures, has many drills, both verbal and written.

I own Michel Thomas' 'Advanced Italian' and both 'French Basic and Advanced'. When I know I'll be speaking some Italian I'll go through the review cd a couple of times and it is a good refresher. I have completed nearly of the French courses, I'm up to cd 4 of the advanced course. Having (basically) completed everything I know I couldn't converse in French. My vocabulary is too limited. I found MT good for an overview but I need to dig a little deeper with Assimil and FSI.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cammela
Tetraglot
Senegal
Joined 4812 days ago

28 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: French*, ItalianC2, Spanish, GermanB2

Message 186 of 376
24 January 2011 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
I like Strokes a lot. It's a software that uses the same method as Assimil.
But my absolute favorite is De agostini. Pure power.

Edited by Cammela on 24 January 2011 at 12:15pm

1 person has voted this message useful

anima
Australia
Joined 5343 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 187 of 376
05 February 2011 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
The Hugo in 3 Months series would be my favorite program. I have used the Dutch & French editions & really liked them. I also really like the FSI basic courses.

Artek
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4789 days ago

6 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 188 of 376
22 February 2011 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
My most recent, jaw-dropping discovery is aimed for advanced Spanish students. (Advanced- meaning 'European advanced' enabling to take the Superior exam by Instituto Cervantes, so those who just finished Pimsluer Comprehensive or Michel Thomas-Advanced have to go through some serious stuff for a change, before delving into this one ;-)). Surprisingly, of all places it was published in Russia. Believe me when I say this: I have never heard as natural-sounding conversations as the ones included on the accompaning CD and transcribed in the book itself. All the official Spanish courses publishers in Spain tend to pretend that certain words and expressions don't exist in their noble, academy-guarded language. Then you go to Spain and you are in for guite a surprise. Just like in Poland even their grannies swear like tinkers on all the right occasions and just speak in a most laidback manner without clinging to the Academy guidelines. You land ther and find you don't understand half of what they're saying, especially among themselves. This book, from what I've seen is one of the very few existing answers to woes of this nature (other than just moving to live in Spain for at least a year, I mean). Ok, here goes, ladies and gentlemen. The book's title is "Espańa en vivo". It has some small portions of translation exercises form Russian into Spanish, nonetheless it should be a must for any serious student of Spanish. Try tracking it down. Highly recommended!!! Am I too verbose or what?

Edited by Artek on 22 February 2011 at 1:52am

3 persons have voted this message useful

LaMar44
Diglot
United States
Joined 5504 days ago

1 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 189 of 376
02 March 2011 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
1) Pimsleur
2) Michel Thomas
3) Synergy Spanish Systems

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5591 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 190 of 376
12 March 2011 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
Artek wrote:
My most recent, jaw-dropping discovery is aimed for advanced Spanish students. (Advanced- meaning 'European advanced' enabling to take the Superior exam by Instituto Cervantes, so those who just finished Pimsluer Comprehensive or Michel Thomas-Advanced have to go through some serious stuff for a change, before delving into this one ;-)). Surprisingly, of all places it was published in Russia. Believe me when I say this: I have never heard as natural-sounding conversations as the ones included on the accompaning CD and transcribed in the book itself. All the official Spanish courses publishers in Spain tend to pretend that certain words and expressions don't exist in their noble, academy-guarded language. Then you go to Spain and you are in for guite a surprise. Just like in Poland even their grannies swear like tinkers on all the right occasions and just speak in a most laidback manner without clinging to the Academy guidelines. You land ther and find you don't understand half of what they're saying, especially among themselves. This book, from what I've seen is one of the very few existing answers to woes of this nature (other than just moving to live in Spain for at least a year, I mean). Ok, here goes, ladies and gentlemen. The book's title is "Espańa en vivo". It has some small portions of translation exercises form Russian into Spanish, nonetheless it should be a must for any serious student of Spanish. Try tracking it down. Highly recommended!!! Am I too verbose or what?

It wouldn't be this book, by any chance?

Yale education
4 persons have voted this message useful

langcurious
United States
youtube.com/user/lan
Joined 4747 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Swedish, Mandarin

Message 191 of 376
30 March 2011 at 4:33am | IP Logged 
My favorites are:

Linkword
Teach Yourself
Pimsleur

Edited by langcurious on 30 March 2011 at 4:36am

IBLearninNow
United States
Joined 4746 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: French, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Norwegian, Japanese
Studies: Russian

Message 192 of 376
31 March 2011 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
My favorites are:
MUZZY® Language Courses
Books like Learn Japanese the fast and fun way
tv
internet/websites example http://www.bbc.co.uk/ and/or google
Music

Edited by IBLearninNow on 31 March 2011 at 8:43pm

This discussion contains 376 messages over 47 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version