In order that I use them:
Pimsleur, Assimil/Hugo, FSI.

1 person has voted this message useful

noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5121 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1
Studies: TurkishA1, Korean

Message 218 of 376
26 August 2011 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
I have used so many different programmes (Living Language, Langenscheidt, Assimil, Barron, Lextra Sprachkurs, Méthode 90, Berlitz and textbooks) to learn languages, till my current personal library is filled with books, CDs, textbooks, novels etc.

I think all these programmes are great in their own unique way, and have certainly helped me to achieve my goals however small these are, but I must say that, of all the language programs that I have used thus far, my *most* favourite and efficient program remains the "Practise and improve your French" series from publisher NTC. It is really unfortunate that the publisher no longer releases this great program, which has a story centering on a Frenchman who was recently transfered to the Geneva office. The music in the cassette recording (yes, it was released in 1988) also gave one a comfortable and relaxed feeling, and as the entire program has a storyline, one connects new words to the context that they are used, further reinforcing the learning process.

I would be happy if the publisher could release this wonderful program again, and in CD!!!!

Edited by noriyuki_nomura on 26 August 2011 at 2:33pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

learnvietnamese
Diglot
Groupie
Singapore
yourvietnamese.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4730 days ago

98 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 219 of 376
26 August 2011 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
I learned English and French in Vietnam when I was young and back then, it was not common to learn on the Internet. So I learned both of them at foreign language centers.

English: Headway textbook
French: Le Nouveau Sans Frontiere textbook.

I'm learning Mandarin using the FSI online course. I particularly like its explanations of grammar. What's more? It's free!

3 persons have voted this message useful

noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5121 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1
Studies: TurkishA1, Korean

Message 220 of 376
26 August 2011 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
I like using Le Nouveau Sans Frontiere textbook too! :) For French language, I would also highly recommend Méthode de francais Campus 4, which comes along with 2 CDs - live debate, interview etc. In my personal opinion, it is ideal for those who want to go beyond intermediate level and prepare oneself for those lively French debate shows on TV (and friendly live debate with your French friends over dinner)!   

learnvietnamese wrote:
I learned English and French in Vietnam when I was young and back then, it was not common to learn on the Internet. So I learned both of them at foreign language centers.

I'm learning Mandarin using the FSI online course. I particularly like its explanations of grammar. What's more? It's free!

Edited by noriyuki_nomura on 26 August 2011 at 4:06pm

JasonUK
Triglot
United Kingdom
learnalanguagein1yea
Joined 5037 days ago

29 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, French
Studies: Thai, Spanish

Message 221 of 376
30 August 2011 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
For me my favourites have been:

Pimsleur, Lingq, French in action, FSI and french/chinesepod

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 222 of 376
30 August 2011 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
noriyuki_nomura wrote:
I like using Le Nouveau Sans Frontiere textbook too! :) For French language, I would also highly recommend Méthode de francais Campus 4, which comes along with 2 CDs - live debate, interview etc. In my personal opinion, it is ideal for those who want to go beyond intermediate level and prepare oneself for those lively French debate shows on TV (and friendly live debate with your French friends over dinner)!   

learnvietnamese wrote:

What is Le Nouveau Sans Frontieres all about? I can find it on various Amazons, but none of them have a "look inside" option.
1 person has voted this message useful

El Señor Cara
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4723 days ago

3 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 223 of 376
01 September 2011 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
I started with Assimil New Spanish with Ease which was not easy at all for me.

For me it lacked structure and I felt lost. It all has to do with learning styles I guess. I have a preference for sequential learning. I think Assimil is best suited for intuitive and global learners (students that learn in large jumps, absorbing material almost randomly without seeing connections, and then suddenly "getting it"). I hate this kind of learning.

I stopped temporarely with Assimil and took Michel Thomas courses (beginners, advanced and language builder) and coupled it with some practice in verb conjugation of often used verbs. I have learned soooo much from the MT courses; I think they are superb. MT gave me some structure and now Assimel works better for me.
Together with Assimil I use Hugo Spanish in 3 months. Outstanding course !

My goal is to work and live in South America. After the above mention courses I will concentrate on latin american Spanish. I'm going to use:
*Colloquial Spanish of latin America
*Oxford Take Off in Latin American Spanish
*Platiquemos

I have spent a lot of time selecting good stuff. The following material I also use and recommend:

*The Ultimate Spanish Review and Practice by Gordon/Stillman
*Spanish Verb Manual by Alfredo Gonzales Hermoso = a GEM of a book !!!!!!
*Verbarrator

¡buena suerte!

El Señor Cara de Papa

learnvietnamese
Diglot
Groupie
Singapore
yourvietnamese.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4730 days ago

98 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 224 of 376
02 September 2011 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
noriyuki_nomura wrote:

learnvietnamese wrote:

What is Le Nouveau Sans Frontieres all about? I can find it on various Amazons, but none of them have a "look inside" option.

Hi Jeffers,

I think Le Nouveau Sans Frontieres follows a rather standard format:
1. A few short dialogues
2. Explanation of vocabulary and grammar
3. Activities
4. Complimentary exercises

It's not particularly special but just it's one of the very few textbooks used in Vietnam for French at language centers.

As you want to look inside, I took a photo of the first page of Lesson 3, Book 1 for your reference. This is a French-Vietnamese version.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67090878@N04/6105643167/

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 376 messages over 47 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version