Americano
Korea, South
Joined 6656 days ago

101 posts - 120 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean

Message 1 of 17
29 September 2009 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
I am going to supply five languages, and I ask people to rank these languages from 1-5, with 1 being the most difficult, to 5 being the easiest to learn to a level 2 on the FSI scale in reading, writing, listening and speaking. To put it in context, I am a native English speaker, and the only other language I speak is Spanish at a solid intermediate level. Here are the five languages:

Russian, Urdu, Mandarin, Egyptian Arabic, and Farsi.

My estimation is that it would probably be in this order:

1)Mandarin (because of the reading/writing portion)
2)Egyptian Arabic
3)Urdu
4)Farsi
5)Russian

What do you think? I would particularly like to learn one in conjunction to Russian to the level 2+ as fast as possible. Which would facilitate this the easiest? I have considered Arabic,however if I could learn one of the others, besides Russian, to this level faster, then I would consider that language first.

thanks!

Edited by Americano on 29 September 2009 at 11:10am

1 person has voted this message useful

Toufik18
Bilingual Tetraglot
Algeria
Joined 5554 days ago

188 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, Arabic (classical)*, French, English

Message 2 of 17
29 September 2009 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
I think Arabic should lead the ranking, it's very hard even for a native to speak it very fluently (classical Arabic) ,Egyptian Arb is also difficult, but it's not considered as a language, so it's a dialect. The reasons why it's famous is because it's the most conservative to the real Arabic, it's SOMEHOW easy to pronounce and the Egyptian cultural influence .

Edited by Toufik18 on 29 September 2009 at 3:19pm

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6704 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 17
29 September 2009 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
Americano wrote:
1)Mandarin (because of the reading/writing portion)

Don't forget the tonal element which makes it even harder. How much harder is very individual. Some have a special talent and the tones come easy to them, and the rest of us keep struggning till kingdom come. But it is doable, even yours truly is slowly getting better at it.

Sorry I don't have any input to help compare between the other ones on the list. But to me, Mandarin certainly feels very correctly placed up there at the top.

minus273
Triglot
France
Joined 5575 days ago

288 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Ancient Greek, Tibetan

Message 4 of 17
29 September 2009 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
Urdu and Farsi aren't exactly two languages, and they all have a simple grammar. Much simpler than Russian, I suppose.

Languagelover
Heptaglot
Switzerland
Joined 7186 days ago

41 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 5 of 17
29 September 2009 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
In my opinion, Farsi is quite easier than Russian. It is also an Indo-European language and the grammar is not particularily complex. For Urdu, I don't know.

MäcØSŸ
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5619 days ago

259 posts - 392 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2
Studies: German

Message 6 of 17
29 September 2009 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
minus273 wrote:
Urdu and Farsi aren't exactly two languages, and they all have a simple grammar. Much
simpler than Russian, I suppose.

Why do you say that?
3 persons have voted this message useful

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5796 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 7 of 17
29 September 2009 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
I can't comment on most of these, but i've made some feeble attempts at arabic, and i'm intermediate at mandarin. My problems with arabic have mostly been with lack of materials. I find it pretty easy to find tons of chinese movies and tv shows (although i live in Vancouver, on the pacific coast with tons of chinese immigrants). China is also making quite a big push to get more people around the world to learn mandarin, so there are plenty of great instructional books and vocab supplements, in addition to the wealth of native materials.

Chinese may be one of the more difficult languages for an English speaker, but you won't starve for good learning materials.

When i try to find arabic stuff, however, it becomes much harder. The arabic section in every bookstore is tiny, even the ones that have large language-learning sections. It's harder to find web resources too, beyond the basics. Maybe i just didn't look hard enough, but that's my impression.

Mosin
Diglot
United States
Joined 5373 days ago

9 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, English

Message 8 of 17
29 September 2009 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
Toufik18 wrote:
it's very hard even for a native to speak it very fluently (classical Arabic) .

I think they can't speak it fluently because they don't practice it, not because the language is difficult.

Edited by Mosin on 29 September 2009 at 7:06pm

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version