Pentaglot
Canada
Joined 5458 days ago

450 posts - 624 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Urdu*, Arabic (Levantine), French, English
Studies: Persian, Spanish

Message 1 of 4
04 October 2009 at 6:33am | IP Logged 
I will soon be taking a French course. Seeing as school based language curriculum is
often based around grammar, I need to have a solid understanding of it if I am to do
well. Does anyone have any tips that are particularly well suited to learning grammar as
opposed to some of the more 'global' methods often discussed?

Thanks.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5792 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 4
04 October 2009 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
Are you sure this particular course will be grammar heavy? There's a wide variety of teaching methods in use in schools these days.

Paskwc
Pentaglot
Canada
Joined 5458 days ago

450 posts - 624 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Urdu*, Arabic (Levantine), French, English
Studies: Persian, Spanish

Message 3 of 4
04 October 2009 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
I'm not particularly sure if it will be grammar heavy, but the impression I get from many
other forum members is that classes tend to be.

If you're interested in looking, I've included a link to last May's final exam. While the
material is not particularly complex, I'd like to do as well as possible.

exam

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 4
04 October 2009 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
I have written a whole Guide about the study of grammar, but to shorten it down a bit I would suggest these methods:

Try to imagine how you could write all the most important regular morphology on a few pages - so you obviously have to cut it down. Leave out the irregular words and learn them separately, but keep your 'concentrated' tables within reach. I write mine on green paper in order to separate them from ordinary notes.

Doing this may also help you to remember the forms, but the purpose is to force you to become aware of what there is to learn, so that you can spot it in genuine texts or things you hear.

The same basic idea should be used for syntax. Don't try to learn everything by heart fra a grammar or textbook, but concentrate on a certain phenomen: read about it, search for examples, write some of the better ones down for later reference, and then go back to see what the rules are for the things you have been looking for.

The main point is to get into a rhythm where you look for the syntax hidden in things you read or hear, then you go back to the grammar to get the rules ironed out, then back to the texts to try out the rules you just have learnt and so forth.

Edited by Iversen on 04 October 2009 at 11:46pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version