Diglot
United States
Joined 5395 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 1 of 6
06 October 2009 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone, I'm trying to piece together the advantages of making a language trip within the US or outside of the country.

I was thinking about traveling to thte Pueblo Institution Language School in El Pueblo, Mexico for a couple weeks this summer to work on my Spanish. (30 hours of study a week, EVERYTHING is included, food, books, housing, for $575 a week.

I was also considering a trip to New York City, NY as a "cheaper" alternative.
I'm sure there are districts in the city that speak Spanish, German, and even japanese. I figured I could learn a lot and stay longer if I find a cheap hotel. (Motel 8 hahaha)

Thoughts anyone? My parents would probably allow me to go to mexico, 60 hours of study (based on your level, you take an entry test) and interactions with native speakers CONTINUOUSLY would really help me out and boost my fluency.

I've never been out of the US :(

Maybe even a trip to the boarder of texas? I just want to learn no matter what.

-Jordan
1 person has voted this message useful

MegatronFilm
Triglot
United States
peligrosa.tumblr.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5748 days ago

130 posts - 275 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 6
06 October 2009 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
$575 is a little steep. If you do a lot of research you may be able to find a more affordable option.
I studied Spanish in Cusco, Peru at an NGO called Fairplay
I did a homestay with a Peruvian family which was about $50-60 per week including meals.
There was 4 hours of class per day. I think it cost between $6-8 per hour. That's $120-160 per week.Also the classes are taught by Peruvian single mothers who are paid directly. The homestay family is also paid directly. Its a really nice organization that helps out the community. They have free volunteer programs if you're interested in that.
Since its cheaper its possible to stay longer.
I stayed in Peru and worked with FairPlay for 2 months. The US dollar goes far there.

FairPlay Website

Edited by MegatronFilm on 06 October 2009 at 7:51pm

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5395 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 3 of 6
07 October 2009 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
thank you very much, I'll look into it for sure. I was thinking one month MAX, its the summer before I go off to college.

That really does sound amazing. did you enjoy it? how much did you learn? were you pleased with everything (including the knowledge gained)

MegatronFilm
Triglot
United States
peligrosa.tumblr.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5748 days ago

130 posts - 275 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 4 of 6
07 October 2009 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
It was my first solo trip abroad. The members of Fairplay made me feel at home in Cusco and I felt like a part of
a big family. I met so many fascinating people there from the staff to the backpackers coming in to learn
spanish. On wednesdays they have a peruvian cooking class, which is like a social get together for the students
and teachers. On saturdays they play volleyball. Its a lot of fun. Cusco is a great city to hang around for awhile.
Its very safe! The only problem is the occasional pickpocket, which is a problem everywhere in the world.
Peruvians are very nice and respectful people. The Spanish in Peru is standard and very easy to understand
compared to other accents.
In the immersion environment, you are constantly learning, consciously and unconsciously. I already had a
background in Spanish from high school, in which I could understand 75% of what was going on in a
conversation. I feel I needed that extra push to make make me speak Spanish. With the classes, immersion, and
being in Peru, I felt I had basic fluency in about 3 weeks to a month. Once you have all
the grammar rules and important vocabulary, its up to you to just speak and use everything you learned.
Everyone is different, of course. Try not to speak any English. I had a little difficulty with that because sometimes
I would fall into English with the people who worked at Fairplay. Its just best to keep going in your target
language to keep your mind on it.
The 4 hours of class consist of 2 hours of grammar and 2 hours of practice throughout the city of Cusco. I did
both classes for 2 weeks and then just did 2 hours of grammar everyday for another 2 weeks. The practice class
is good to get acclimated to the city and gain valuable vocabulary, but for me, I found practice already with my
homestay family and my friends. I'm still glad I took 2 weeks of practice class, though, because I learned a lot
about Peruvian culture and getting around the city.
Now I can speak Spanish with ease, with a good accent, and quickly at times. Its been about two months since
I've been there. I need to practice more to retain everything.

If you decide you want to go, let me know and I can recommend you great places to go in Cusco and around
Peru.

Edited by MegatronFilm on 07 October 2009 at 1:22am

5 persons have voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4844 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 5 of 6
21 February 2011 at 8:07am | IP Logged 
I know this is an old thread, but I have read about the Peru study in other posts. It really makes me want to go there to work on my Spanish!

Vagabunda05
Germany
Joined 4834 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: German*

Message 6 of 6
23 February 2011 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
I would recommend Mexico and Guatemala as a place to learn Spanish. If anyone is interested please contact me for more details of language schools.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version