Diglot
United States
Joined 7000 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 17 of 19
04 September 2014 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
Professor Arguelles has a video on learning Spanish, French, Italian and German.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 18 of 19
07 September 2014 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
LatinoBoy84 wrote:
FSI has a course (in English) for Spanish speakers wanting to learn Portuguese

Crush wrote:
Has anyone here actually gone through that course? Is it worth going through?

When I first decided to seriously learn Portuguese after Spanish, I thought that the FSI From Spanish to Portuguese course would be perfect for me. I thought: How could not it be? I was an English-speaker who learned Spanish. All I will have to do is learn the differences and I'll have Portuguese.

I went through a little over half of the course until I dropped it and also another similar course, Pois não, like a wet fish. I found that approaching Portuguese in this way, through the medium of Spanish, caused me to think too much about Spanish first and see Portuguese through the prism of Spanish.

You know how much I admire you, but I think in this particular case you're generalizing. I'm not saying you should've done anything differently in your learning, but I also disagree that for other learners using Spanish-based materials is a bad idea unless they only want passive skills. Different things work for different people. Prof Argüelles "blatantly spoke Spanish" with a Brazilian student and went through this phase of Portuñol until he adapted and started speaking proper Portuguese. (I would've wanted to try this in Poland, but it generally felt disrespectful)

That said, I do think that Spanish-to-Portuguese (and other similar) methods work best if you're also willing to get some knowledge of historical/comparative linguistics or already have it. I also think that using L2-L3 dictionaries is less controversial and can be beneficial even if you have no interest in linguistics.
2 persons have voted this message useful

doodoofan
Tetraglot
Vietnam
japanesetest4you.com
Joined 4510 days ago

19 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: Vietnamese*, English, Mandarin, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish

Message 19 of 19
13 September 2014 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
I'd love to have a program or book like that. I've been learning Korean and I'm really surprised to see how
similar it is to Japanese, especially the grammar. Vietnamese grammar is similar to Chinese grammar too.
When I taugh a Chinese woman Vietnamese, it was very easy to explain to her the grammar structure.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version