Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
13 messages over 2 pages: 1

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 13
15 October 2009 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
meramarina wrote:
EDIT: I tried making hyperlinks but it didn't work - Error 404?

No - it is error being-too-new-and-not-having-written-enough-posts yet (I don't know the number of this error). There is an automatic mechanism that prevents newcomers from making links because some spammers just make an account to get the possibility to advertise here and then leave. And unfortunately that also hit serious newcomers.

My problem with "Il nome della rosa" was not that I didn't understand it, but rather that it was extremely boring. But I don't read much literature anyway so my tolerance towards irritating books is very limited. I prefer books and magazines about science and history and things like that, and have during my study years read several books about semiotics by Eco - it is strange that a man who can write entertaining books about philosophy can't write a fictional book at the same level.

In fact I have read more of Joyce's "Finnegans Wake" even though that book is penitenziagite from cover to cover.

Edited by Iversen on 15 October 2009 at 9:54am

1 person has voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5727 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 13
15 October 2009 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
Ah, I knew I'd get caught. Yes, I am Eco's Spambot!

Seriously, I agree with you that large portions of his book are boring. I'd like to read some of the nonfiction ones, though. Which would you recommend? I read a lot of fiction, but I also like scientific or historical nonfiction. Do you have a list of favorite or most helpful books that helped you along the way to becoming a polyglot?

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 13
15 October 2009 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
Eco's first major work is "Sviluppo dell'estetica medievale", and his most important book about semiotics is "La struttura assente" (1968) (English version "A Theory of Semiotics" from 1976, partly rewritten), and in 1979 he also published the antology "A Semiotic Landscape". After that he has been engulfed by the literary world.

I can't give you a complete book list. I have read literally tons of books since around 1960, and I have forgotten almost everything again.

Besides this thread is about language mixing, and I don't think that a list of books will fit in here - even though it might represent a fair number of languages.

Edited by Iversen on 15 October 2009 at 5:02pm

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5727 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 13
15 October 2009 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
Yes, you are right, and I'm sorry if I veered too far off-topic. I just asked out of interest, and because I imagine that such a list would include a great mixture of languages. Actually, I was specifically thinking only of books related to languages, but possibly within a historical or scientific context--I didn't write that important part, though! Maybe it's a topic for another thread.

Now we need the equivalent of "Penitenziagite," a word to refer to those who get their thoughts mixed up!

Edited by meramarina on 15 October 2009 at 9:55pm

Woodpecker
Triglot
United States
Joined 5571 days ago

351 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 13 of 13
11 April 2010 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
In the thread linked to at the beginning of this one, penitenziagite is said to be a shortened form of "penitentiam agite," which basically means "repent," and was what Gerard Segarelli would cry while wandering through the streets of Parma. The phrase was also later used as a short form of the motto of the Apostolici movement (which Segarelli founded), the full motto being, "Poenitentiam act, appropinquabit enim regnum caelorum - "Repent, the kingdom of heaven is near." Fra Dolcino, and through him Umberto Eco, later co-opted the same phrase.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version