Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
maaku
United States
Joined 5361 days ago

359 posts - 562 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 7
16 October 2009 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
I love the "FSI method"--I owe much of the progress I've made so far to those freely available resources. Unfortunately, there isn't an FSI basic course for every language out there I want to learn, which leads me to ask the question... what other (high quality) audio-lingual courses are out there?

I know of Spoken Language Services, although I haven't used any of there courses. There was a thread recently about Canadian government courses for French. Any others that people know about? (particularly for rare or esoteric languages, although I'm interested in all suggestions.)
1 person has voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5456 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 2 of 7
16 October 2009 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
DLI is very good too (although the content can be rather militarily biased of course).

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6943 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 3 of 7
16 October 2009 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
"Beginning Polish" by Schenker, "Basic Course in Finnish" by Lehtinen, "Basic Course in Estonian" by Oinas and "Modern Russian" by Dawson, Bidwell and Humesky follow audio-lingual methods rather closely with their use of repetition of basic sentences and substitution/variation drills. The introduction of Oinas' Estonian course states that it is an adaptation of the DLI's old course in Estonian.

"Beginning Slovak" by Swan and Galova-Lorinc follows the audio-lingual method less closely than the courses mentioned above, but it still uses substitution/variation exercises quite a bit and has its dialogues recorded with pauses between the sentences so as to allow learners to repeat.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5652 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 4 of 7
17 October 2009 at 4:05am | IP Logged 
I found an old drill-based Spanish course from the 70s called "Modern Spanish: A Project of the Modern Language Association" at a thrift shop. It was pretty comprehensive, but all of the records except the one on pronunciation were missing. I don't know if that was a series of courses or not, though. Alibris.com lists a "Modern Portuguese".

Edited by Crush on 17 October 2009 at 4:05am

maaku
United States
Joined 5361 days ago

359 posts - 562 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 5 of 7
17 October 2009 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the replies! (and anyone else who knows, please contribute)

I asked the question because I recently found Fluent Tibetan, a course purposefully
designed to mimic the old FSI courses. That got me looking for other courses, which is
how I found out that the 'FSI method' is in fact called audio-lingual, and was all the
rage in the 50's and 60's. So there should be a bunch more of those out there...

@Chung Thanks for the suggestions! I'm excited to find out that Modern Russian is audio-
lingual as well. It has been on my list to get for a while, but I really didn't know it
was drill-based with audio. Now I'm not so bummed out that there's not FSI Russian!

FamusBluRaincot
Triglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5348 days ago

50 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Mandarin, Italian

Message 6 of 7
17 October 2009 at 7:50am | IP Logged 
Crush: Did the first lesson have a sentence-"?Tiene lapiz y papel Raimundo?" Did it have a later lesson whose
dialogue started with "Senor Delgado, anteayer le pedi a usted,...etc"? I'm wondering if its the same course I slaved
over many years ago.

Edited by FamusBluRaincot on 17 October 2009 at 7:51am

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5652 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 7 of 7
18 October 2009 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
I honestly don't remember, I gave it away the last time I moved. If I remember correctly there were maybe 150 lessons divided into chapters or units. There weren't many explanations for things, just some sample sentences for each new grammar point and a bunch of drills. I can't find any pictures of it online, at least not of the edition I had.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version