Groupie
Canada
Joined 5345 days ago

58 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Ancient Greek

Message 1 of 31
21 October 2009 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
So, after perusing the language log section, I have decided that I wish to start my own log so that I may be better motivated to press on with learning Koine Greek (the strain of Greek in which the New Testament was written in). So, I am setting a study goal of 200 hours, which means that if I study 1 hour a day I could potentially reach my goal by April or May of Next year (allowing a bit of fluff time). Hopefully, 200 hours of intentional study will bring me close to the level of reading fluency that I hope to be at. So, here's to a certain degree of accountability to myself and anyone else who takes an interest.
2 persons have voted this message useful

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5941 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 2 of 31
21 October 2009 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
What materials are you planning on using and why are you learning Koine? Also, I think "Ancient Greek" is the language you should have in your profile not Greek...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sir Lunch-a-lot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5345 days ago

58 posts - 64 votes 

Message 3 of 31
21 October 2009 at 5:33am | IP Logged 
40 minutes

Reviewed the chapter on adjectives, did a couple little exercises from the work book, and then revied the chapter on present/continuous participles (and poked around at another translation exercise or two).

Time Remaining: 199 Hours 20 Min
1 person has voted this message useful

Sir Lunch-a-lot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5345 days ago

58 posts - 64 votes 

Message 4 of 31
21 October 2009 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
JW, I am using Bill Mounces "Basics of Biblical Greek". I also have "A readers Greek New Testament" so that I can cut down on the vocabulary I need to learn right off the bat in order to start using what I am learning (and to allow a certain degree of inductive learning). I also have the Teknia Greek flashcard system on my computer (comes with BOBG) and I am using Metzger's "Lexical Aids for Students of New Testament Greek".

Thanks for pointing our my error in language selection. When I was signing up, I did not notice "Ancient Greek" in the list (I was probably foolishly looking for Koine Greek, but never thought to try "Ancient" instead). Fortunately, that was easy to change. So thanks again for that.

Edited by Sir Lunch-a-lot on 21 October 2009 at 5:40am

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5941 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 5 of 31
21 October 2009 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
Sir Lunch-a-lot wrote:
JW, I am using Bill Mounces "Basics of Biblical Greek".

Are you using Mounce's recording of the class based on his book? If not you can find it here:

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/class/nt201

Sir Lunch-a-lot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5345 days ago

58 posts - 64 votes 

Message 6 of 31
28 October 2009 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
40 Minutes

Did another review of the chapter on adjectives. Did another couple adjective exercises. Spent more time reading from one of the chapters on participles (I was refreshing on adjectives because the participle can behave adjectivally... and adjectives have always been a bit of a troublesome spot for me in Greek). Puttered around in some of my spare time on Greek.

Have had a rather stressful week, though, so I didn't make a huge effort to put in Greek time.

@JW: No, I hadn't been, although thanks for the link though. I very well may go through some of his classes even if it is only for the material that we didn't get to in our class... or some of the troublesome bits (although it may not be a bad idea to go through it to add to the solidity of the material in my mind).

Sir Lunch-a-lot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5345 days ago

58 posts - 64 votes 

Message 7 of 31
01 November 2009 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
50 minutes

Sat down for a good 20 minutes during a bit of my spare time on Wednesday and worked my way through another chapter on Participles. Spent about 10 minutes muddling around in Matthew Chapter 2. Spent a good 20-30 minutes yesterday working my way through a portion of Matthew Chapter 2 (where Herod tells the Magi to go and find out about the child, and they go off, the star goes before them leading them to a house, and they find the baby Jesus with Mary. I got as far as the part where they fell down and worshiped Him, and gave the gifts of gold, incense, and myrrh, at which point I noted it was interesting how close the Greek word for Gold was to the English word "Crucible").

Overall, I think I am definitely improving in my ability to understand and recognize participles... although I do believe that it still needs some additional work. However, it may now be time to move on and spend more time working on the imperative mood, after which I have the Mi verbs to learn about - both sections that we did not have adequate time to cover in our last semester of Greek. I am tempted to find a coffee shop today and try to finish chapter 2 of Matthew... it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to write down all the unfamiliar vocabulary - including the stuff in the footnotes of my Readers Greek New Testament, so that I can try to better learn some of it this week.

Time Remaining: 197 Hours 50 Minutes

Edited by Sir Lunch-a-lot on 01 November 2009 at 10:00pm

Sir Lunch-a-lot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5345 days ago

58 posts - 64 votes 

Message 8 of 31
02 November 2009 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
1 Hour 40 Minutes

Went to a Coffee Shop today and spent a good 1hr-1hr 15 minutes (roughly) working my way through the remainder of Matthew Chapter 2. Had to go back and revisit infinitives to find out that an infinitive preceded by the genitive article can indicate purpose (translated something like "in order to"). Also jotted down a number of words that stuck out at me (some from footnotes, others that I had to go look up).

I am finding myself confused by a word form that appears to be aorist passive, but does not have the epsilon augment in the front. I may have to skim through a number of chapters to find out what the heck is going on there... part of me thinks it may be the imperative mood, but given where that was appearing, it does not seem likely.I think one such word was ̉Εγερθείς, which I believe comes from ̉Εγειρω which means "I rise". (I just skimmed the back of my textbook, and found a match. Looks like its a passive aorist participle. Looks like Participles and I have some more work to do together).

By the end of Chapter 2, I was feeling rather weary of reading. I suppose part of that would be due to the fact that I had to look up quite a number of words (thank God I was using a readers Bible or there would have been no end to looking up words), and I also had to look up some concepts in order to make progress. Boy, it will be nice once more of this is second nature! Although, I suppose there is no avoiding the unpleasant effort that reading will sometimes entail at this point. That being said, when I was learning to read in my native language of English many many years ago, there was definitely a similar degree of difficulty, frustration, and tedium. So, I anticipate that - after a while - the difficulty and tedium will decrease and the pleasure level will increase.

Edit: Also spent about 13 minutes listening to One of Bill Mounces Lectures on the infinitive.

Time Remaining: 196 Hours, 10 Minutes

Edited by Sir Lunch-a-lot on 02 November 2009 at 3:29am

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version