Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5614 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 1 of 8
21 October 2009 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
Do nouns which come after compound numbers ending in dva, tri, ctyri take the genitive plural or the nom plural. For example does one say Je mi dvacet dva roky or dvacet dva let?

1 person has voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5451 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 2 of 8
21 October 2009 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
Great question - and in fact many Czechs don't even know the answer. The "official" answer is that you must use the nominative plural when the low order number is between two and four. Despite this, many people use the genitive plural anyway.

One relatively common way around this is to use compound versions of the numbers instead, such as dvaadvacet so that the compound ends in a higher order number (in this case 20) and so always takes the genitive plural.

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5614 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 

Message 3 of 8
21 October 2009 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
I did think it was the nom plural but was beginning to have doubts and thought that maybe my Russian was interfering. I've spent ages trying to find the answer in my many Czech grammar books without success. So it is more common to say Je mi dvacet dva let than je mi dvacet dva roky for ezample?

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5451 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 4 of 8
21 October 2009 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:
I did think it was the nom plural but was beginning to have doubts and thought that maybe my Russian was interfering. I've spent ages trying to find the answer in my many Czech grammar books without success. So it is more common to say Je mi dvacet dva let than je mi dvacet dva roky for ezample?

There are two "legal" ways to say it:

Jsou mi dvacet dva roky - this is correct but is very bookish, and you would almost never hear it in real life

and

Je mi dvaadvacet let - this is by far the most common "real life" construct you will hear (and read)

However, many people do say:

Je mi dvacet dva let - which is grammatically incorrect, however this "slang" is so frequent in practice that people have got used to it and won't flinch if you say it
2 persons have voted this message useful

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6385 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 8
21 October 2009 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
Je mi dvacet dva let, definitely. It may not be the textbook way to say it, but that doesn't matter. It's the way natives express it.

Edit: Looks like Splog posted while I was typing. Oh well, so you hear it twice.

Edited by magister on 21 October 2009 at 9:58pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5614 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 

Message 6 of 8
22 October 2009 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Thanks for your answers both of you.

kyknos
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5278 days ago

103 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: Slovak, Czech*, English
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 7 of 8
08 November 2009 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
Well. Both "dvacet dva roky" and "dvacet dva let" is correct. The latter is more natural in contemporary usage. "Dvacet dva roky" used to be mandatory, but those times are over, as officially recognized by Czech Language Institute of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic:

Ve spojení základních číslovek od dvaceti výše, které jsou zakončeny na jeden, dva, tři, čtyři, se do 70. let minulého století ve spisovné češtině vyžadovaly tvary počítaného předmětu a shoda přísudku podle posledního členu: podle jeden člověk byl zraněn, dva/tři/ čtyři lidé byli zraněni mělo být i dvě stě jeden člověk byl zraněn, dvě stě dva/tři/čtyři lidé byli zraněni. Spojení dvě stě jedna/tři/čtyři lidí bylo zraněno,tj. spojení s počítaným předmětem v 2. pádě, bylo hodnoceno jako chybné. Mnozí jazykovědci však poukazovali na nepřirozenost spojení typu sto (dvě stě, tři sta, …) jeden člověk, a to zejména ve větách obsahujících výrazy celý a všechen, např. závod dokončil všechen sto jeden běžec, a tím i na neudržitelnost tehdejší kodifikace. Druhý pád se nejdříve prosadil u číslovkových výrazů zakončených na jeden, postupně pronikl i k výrazům s číslovkami dva, tři, čtyři. I dnes čteme a slýcháme původní tvary, zejména ve sportovních reportážích a zpravodajstvích: závodník skočil sto dvacet jeden metr a za tento skok získal sto třicet čtyři body. Běžnější i přirozenější jsou však už tvary závodník skočil sto dvacet jedna metrů a za tento skok získal sto třicet čtyři bodů.

(This is the answer for the same question from their online site, saying that the old nominative plural is not mandatory since 1970's and is now considered 'old-school'.)

I have personally changed computer code in GNU gettext to reflect this change in all software using gettext libraries (most of the free software world) several years ago.

PS: The site is very useful for advanced questions. FAQ are online, you can ask your own questions via the e-mail address in the bottom. http://www.ujc.cas.cz/poradna/porfaq.htm

Edited by kyknos on 08 November 2009 at 11:04pm

kyknos
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5278 days ago

103 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: Slovak, Czech*, English
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 8 of 8
08 November 2009 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:
For example does one say Je mi dvacet dva roky or dvacet dva let?

And by the way, I just noticed... "Je mi dvacet dva roky" is wrong anyway! It should be "Jsou mi dvacet dva roky" or "Je mi dvacet dva let".

If the number of years in 22 indeed, any contemporary native speaker would use the genitive form ("Je mi dvacet dva let"). However, I wouldn't be surprised to hear "Jsou mi sedmdesát dva roky" :).

Edited by kyknos on 08 November 2009 at 11:16pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version