Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5378 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 18 of 24
28 October 2009 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
If any non-native speakers of English stumbled while reading that poem The Chaos, don't worry because I did too!
Gusutafu wrote:
As I've argued elsewhere, I don't think this has to be a difficulty at all. If, insead of learning, "langue, feminine" you just learn a few sentences using that word, it will come naturally. In the end, gender is just another feature of the word, think of the article as the first two (or so) letters of the word. As usual, I may be biased, because we have grammatical gender in Swedish, but I think it all depends on HOW you learn it.

Also, in most languages that have gender, there are some clues in the form of the word to help you. For example, in French, the feminine noun "langue" ends with an "e", so if you remember that most words that end with "e" are feminine this word is not a problem. Some languages are more straightforward than others. Russian almost always gives away the gender of a noun with the last letter of that noun, but with French things can be a bit trickier and more often you have to resort to other methods.

Edited by Levi on 28 October 2009 at 8:17pm

1 person has voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5778 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 24
28 October 2009 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
I looked up that poem "The Chaos" and it's a LOT longer that this excerpt! Really fun, but it's absolutely exhausting in its entirety! I tried saying it out loud and stumbled over quite a few words. The odd thing is, as someone native to English, I don't even notice many of these irregularities until they are specifically pointed out to me; they are simply words that have always been the way they are. I have found, strangely enough, that I've had some difficulty with regular, phonetically accurate, predictably spelled languages. In German, it took a while to comprehend that the vowel sounds -ie and -ei are not interchangeable, as they sometimes are in English. Studying other languages certainly enhances the understanding of one's own mother tongue!

I tried to write one of these "odd English" things once. It didn't work too well.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6083 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 20 of 24
14 November 2009 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
I would say that as a general rule, the longer ago a language's spelling system was fixed, the less phonetic it is. Because languages change, but the writing system fails to reflect it. In contrast, Turkish is very phonetic, and its current writing system only goes back to the 1920s.

Vinlander
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5632 days ago

62 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 21 of 24
14 February 2010 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:
sebngwa3 wrote:
However one thing that English doesn't have which makes it easier is the lack of masculine and feminine types of 'the' and 'a's, unlike French.

As I've argued elsewhere, I don't think this has to be a difficulty at all. If, insead of learning, "langue, feminine" you just learn a few sentences using that word, it will come naturally. In the end, gender is just another feature of the word, think of the article as the first two (or so) letters of the word. As usual, I may be biased, because we have grammatical gender in Swedish, but I think it all depends on HOW you learn it.

Dude your out to lunch. Of course the spelling don't matter if you grew up in sweden, swedes speak more English per capita than Canadians.

I'm learning German because of it's simple spelling. It's grammar may be harder than say frenchs but I can study grammar. I've met like two Germans since I've started to learn German, and 4 German speakers. If i had to rely on hearing a word to understand the spelling it would take me forever to learn anything
2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5658 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 24
14 February 2010 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
Vinlander wrote:

I'm learning German because of it's simple spelling. It's grammar may be harder than say frenchs but I can study grammar. I've met like two Germans since I've started to learn German, and 4 German speakers. If i had to rely on hearing a word to understand the spelling it would take me forever to learn anything

I understand the point. Then you should never decide to learn Danish. Danish has the characteristic that you write something completely different than you speak. In the very beginning of my Danish study I felt lost in the pronounciation jungle, but as I learn more and more language examples, I start developing a feeling for the pronouncaiton of Danish.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 14 February 2010 at 6:38pm

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4845 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 23 of 24
20 February 2011 at 4:10am | IP Logged 
I read a book a few years ago by James Essinger called Spellbound: The Surprising Origins and Astonishing Secrets of English Spelling. It was a wonderful study of the reason WHY English is spelled the way it is. I really enjoyed it, and left an Amazon review for it (<- mentioned because you may recognize my name). I found the book accessible to me as a language nerd, but I'm sure other people would enjoy it, too.

As a native English speaker, I love the craziness of my language. It shows our history and growth and things both good and bad. We say that learning a language well requires learning a culture, and ours has a special one.
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 24 of 24
19 September 2011 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
Vinlander wrote:

I understand the point. Then you should never decide to learn Danish. Danish has the characteristic that you write something completely different than you speak. In the very beginning of my Danish study I felt lost in the pronounciation jungle, but as I learn more and more language examples, I start developing a feeling for the pronouncaiton of Danish.

Fasulye

This is an old posting, but I will risk responding to it: How long did it take you to reach that stage, and have you continued to make progress since making this posting?

I ask because I am interested in trying to learn one of the three Scandinavian languages properly (one day ...), but have been put off Danish, for this very reason.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version