11 messages over 2 pages: 1
Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5659 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 9 of 11
27 October 2009 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
magister wrote:
Yes, but they're "free" because they're pirated.

HTLAL would like to steer clear of these waters. Forum rules state:

"PIRATE COPIES OF LANGUAGE PROGRAMS
Do not use the forum to post requests to trade pirate copies of language programs nor links to download them."

Besides, some of us would rather hold a real book in our hands.

Uz Translations can be very useful though to sample material and decide if they're worth acquiring. That is how I chose which Kanji text to purchase and use (not Heisig's).

Edited by Juan M. on 27 October 2009 at 7:58pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6363 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 11
28 October 2009 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
Juan M. wrote:

Uz Translations can be very useful though to sample material and decide if they're worth acquiring. That is how I chose which Kanji text to purchase and use (not Heisig's).

No doubt. I also use UZ for this purpose, to better inform my purchasing choices. So for some of us the site has actually spurred sales, ironically.

I jumped to the conclusion that the poster was advocating the wholesale downloading of available copyrighted "warez." My apologies to him! Butting out now.

Edited by magister on 28 October 2009 at 2:35pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Romanist
United Kingdom
Joined 5042 days ago

261 posts - 366 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 11 of 11
23 April 2011 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
Certainly, I and many others refrain from downloading illegally materials that are currently available for sale. However, I must confess that I have downloaded a few resources from uz-translations that are no longer published. For example, an Assimil course from the 1950s (having already bought all the current Assimil offerings for that language at full price!). Certainly no sale has been lost by this, and I am not sure we can say the course has been "pirated" in the sense that most people would mean by that term.

This is a very fair point. In my opinion it is rather stupid that Assimil no longer offer audio support for their older generation courses - especially seeing that the 1970s-era courses were, in the opinion of many serious learners, rather better than some of their current offerings!

I myself have recently found an older copy of Assimil's "Neugriechisch ohne Mühe", and I really wish I knew where to get the audio!
(Rightly or wrongly, Uz-translations have now removed all Assimil recordings...)

Edited by Romanist on 23 April 2011 at 12:42pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version