Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
9 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
AaronK
United States
Joined 5296 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 1 of 9
28 October 2009 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
I'm looking to learn Polish. I realize the difficulty involved in it as others have said but I have chosen not to really keep that in mind because the more difficult you perceive it to be, the more difficult it is.

I was wondering if anyone here could point me into Polish resources. Specifically, I want to use L-R methods. Also, wanted to know whats the best products to invest money into. Anyone who is studying Polish please direct me into the right way.
1 person has voted this message useful

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5310 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 2 of 9
28 October 2009 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
Poles seem to be very prolific in posting subtitled foreign movies on torrent sites (i have all of Monty Python with Polish subs), and I believe the situation is similar for domestic films. I personally think that approach is brilliant, polish film with polish subs, but you'd need to be intermediate of course.

Assimil Polish seems good so far, you can use it as L-R.

ewomahony
Diglot
Groupie
England
Joined 5371 days ago

91 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian, French, Afrikaans

Message 3 of 9
28 October 2009 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
This is a good grammar site:

http://free.of.pl/g/grzegorj/gram/gram00.html
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6945 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 4 of 9
28 October 2009 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
AaronK wrote:
I'm looking to learn Polish. I realize the difficulty involved in it as others have said but I have chosen not to really keep that in mind because the more difficult you perceive it to be, the more difficult it is.

I was wondering if anyone here could point me into Polish resources. Specifically, I want to use L-R methods. Also, wanted to know whats the best products to invest money into. Anyone who is studying Polish please direct me into the right way.

This site at the University of Pittsburgh is pretty good too.

http://polish.slavic.pitt.edu/

For your purposes with L-R, you may find the following link on this website to be suitable.

http://polish.slavic.pitt.edu/other/KPR.pdf

This .pdf is a collection of short stories for beginners but if you click on the title of each short story, you will get a link to a recording in .mp3 of someone reading the story. In other words it's a free audiobook in Polish for beginners.

Really all that you still need as a beginner is a decent English-Polish/Polish English dictionary (I assume that you're just starting out with your Polish studies). The dictionary "Collins English-Polish Polski-Angielski Dictionary - Compact Edition" by Jacek Fisiak is quite good yet cheap (the paperback edition shouldn't cost more than $15)

If you still want to spend money, then consider:
1) "Polish - An Essential Grammar" by Dana Bielec
2) The textbooks from the series that's published by "Universitas" at the Jagiellonian University in Kraków.
3) The courses in the series "Hurra po polsku!" that's published by Prolog.

As I said earlier that website at the University of Pittsburgh should have more than enough to keep you going for a while. It even has Polish grammar manuals in .pdf which would be cost-less alternatives to Bielec's book.
7 persons have voted this message useful

ALS
United States
Joined 5593 days ago

104 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian, Finnish, Russian

Message 5 of 9
29 October 2009 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:
Poles seem to be very prolific in posting subtitled foreign movies on torrent sites (i have all of Monty Python with Polish subs), and I believe the situation is similar for domestic films. I personally think that approach is brilliant, polish film with polish subs, but you'd need to be intermediate of course.

Does Assimil have Polish in English? I only saw it in their French speaker's version.

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5310 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 6 of 9
30 October 2009 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
ALS wrote:
Gusutafu wrote:

Does Assimil have Polish in English? I only saw it in their French speaker's version.

I don't know, I have it in French and I think it's availible in German, but it's not too difficult to understand, if you know at least some French. Check their website!

You can perhaps get the grammar explanations from a book, but you'd need to know some French or German.

Meadowmeal
Pentaglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5500 days ago

43 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, French, English, German, Polish
Studies: Romanian

Message 7 of 9
30 October 2009 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:
ALS wrote:
Gusutafu wrote:

I don't know, I have it in French and I think it's availible in German, but it's not too difficult to understand, if you know at least some French. Check their website!

You can perhaps get the grammar explanations from a book, but you'd need to know some French or German.

or Dutch :)

Zetko86
Heptaglot
Italy
Joined 4298 days ago

18 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: Slovenian, Italian*, English, Serbo-Croatian, FrenchB1, GermanB2, Russian
Studies: Japanese, Hungarian

Message 8 of 9
17 March 2015 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
There is a quite comprehensive (15 volumes, 3178 pages!) Polish Basic Course, prepared for use in the Defense Language Institute's intensive language program, which is available for free download on this website: http://eric.ed.gov/?q=polish+basic+course&id=ED033357

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version