Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
28 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3 4  Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6257 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 1 of 28
28 October 2009 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
There are only two places where you can meet lots and lots of language lovers: Esperanto meetings ;-) and language fairs. I'd like to meet other forum members, and what better occasion than the Expolingua language fair 2009! This fair takes place from November 20th to November 22nd (Friday to Sunday) at the Russisches Haus der Wissenschaft und Kultur in central Berlin.

At Expolingua you can see what's new on the language-learning market, talk to representatives of all the big names in language courses, start learning more than 22 languages immediately in 45-minute introductory lessons and collect plenty of free materials. Last year, the representatives of Basque and Catalan were particularly generous, handing out picture dictionaries, phrasebooks, CDs and agendas with word-a-day entries. If you want to inform yourself about what's out there in terms of language programs abroad and scholarship opportunities, this fair is really useful as well. Plus there are topical lectures on linguistics and didactics, with special focus given this time to translating / choosing a career as a translator, computer-aided language learning and on learning at a very young or very old age.

If that is not enough language learning, we should also use this time to practise languages together, teach each other and raid Berlin's largest book store, where you can find very many language-learning materials and even more English-language books (not to talk about German ones). If you want to stock up on Russian, French or Portuguese books, I can also point out special bookstores for these.

Since I live in central Berlin, I'm ready to host foreign forum members coming over for this meet-up. I can not take on too many people though, so let me know quickly if you want to come and need a place to stay. The cheapest way to come are probably Berlin LinienBus (from 22 EUR one-way internationally), Deutsche Bahn (from 39 EUR one-way internationally) or AirBerlin (typical flight price is around 100 EUR both ways, including fees and taxes).
11 persons have voted this message useful

jondesousa
Tetraglot
United States
goo.gl/Zgg3nRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6051 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Message 3 of 28
28 October 2009 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
That is just too mean. I wish I could go. :-(

1 person has voted this message useful

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5354 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 4 of 28
28 October 2009 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
Drat. Me too. :(

If only I had the money/time to leave my time zone for once...

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5625 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 5 of 28
28 October 2009 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
I might go - thanks Sprachprofi!

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7163 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 28
28 October 2009 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
I went years ago, a great exhibition it is, well worth visiting if you are in that part of Europe!
2 persons have voted this message useful

rggg
Heptaglot
Mexico
Joined 6112 days ago

373 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French, Italian, Portuguese, Indonesian, Malay
Studies: Romanian, Catalan, Greek, German, Swedish

Message 7 of 28
28 October 2009 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
I can't go .... but I want to thank Sprachprofi for her offer ... you are very kind.

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5686 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 8 of 28
28 October 2009 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
How cool... I wish I could go. Very generous offer from Sprachprofi indeed. I really envy European language learners. You have it all so easy over there :-)

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version