Alvinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 6021 days ago

828 posts - 832 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 17 of 28
30 October 2009 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
Wish I could enjoy something similar here in Brazil.....in fact, my jealousy is healthy.....that kind of fair could be held here as the main sport events of the world will be going on here in the next years....therefore, a huge opportunity to make many Brazilians aware of importance of languages from now on.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6257 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 18 of 28
30 October 2009 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Doviende, I'll be happy to meet up.

By the way, I just posted a list of language stores in Berlin to the Bookstores subforum. Have a look!

FM_Moltke
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 6406 days ago

54 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, German, French
Studies: Polish, Latin

Message 19 of 28
02 November 2009 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
I am intending to come to Berlin linguaexpo in November. If you wish to arrange a rendevous, I would like to attend. If you have free accomodation available, that would be even better!

starst
Triglot
China
Joined 5301 days ago

113 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, Japanese, EnglishC2
Studies: FrenchC1, German, Norwegian

Message 20 of 28
04 November 2009 at 9:14am | IP Logged 
Very nice event! I can't make it this time, but I'm thinking to go next year!
Which one is more interesting? The Berlin one or the Prague one?
Maybe there are more members I could meet in Berlin? :)

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6257 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 21 of 28
04 November 2009 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
FM Moltke, you can stay here then, just give me the details of when you'll arrive when you know them. I'm looking forward to practising languages with you!

Anybody else coming to Berlin? This thread has become a list of who is not coming, but there are some who said maybe...

Starst, afaik the Berlin one is much more interesting, as it's more diverse. Also, in Prague you won't be able to understand much, as most of the mini courses and most of the materials you can get from the stands are in the local language.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6257 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 22 of 28
04 November 2009 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
NEWS: The Deutsche Bahn (Germany's national train company) just announced that on November 9th, between 18:57 and 3 o'clock the next day, they will sell all national tickets for 20 EUR each, so 40 EUR round-way.

At this price and free lodging, I expect all German forum members to come, as well as anybody living close enough to the border.

Let's have a party! (Anybody up for renting a private room at a Chinese karaoke bar one of the nights?)

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5773 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 23 of 28
04 November 2009 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
there's Chinese karaoke in Berlin? Do they actually have Chinese songs available? I probably still know most of the words to "中国话" by s.h.e. ;)

Is there a big Chinese population in Berlin?

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6257 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 24 of 28
04 November 2009 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
doviende wrote:
there's Chinese karaoke in Berlin? Do they actually have Chinese songs available? I probably still know most of the words to "中国话" by s.h.e. ;)

Is there a big Chinese population in Berlin?

There are several places offering Chinese Karaoke, mostly for the resident Asians. Most of the songs are in Chinese, Japanese, English or Korean. They also have some in German and in Thai. I don't like to sing in public, but I do think it's fun to do karaoke with friends, that's why I love Chinese-style karaoke.

I don't think there are that many Chinese people in Berlin, but also there are not many Indians in all of Germany, yet there are 8 Indian restaurants within walking distance of my home. Similar count for Vietnamese. Berlin is the biggest city in Germany, it just has lots of everything, and it's a lot more open to new ideas than the rest of Germany is. For example, Thai food is incredibly exotic where I come from, but in Berlin you can get frozen Thai food in non-Asian supermarkets. Nobody heard of Mango Lassi where I come from, but in Berlin every Asian restaurant and even some Turkish fast-food places offer it. There is no Go (ancient Asian strategy game) club within 30km of where I come from, but there are several Go groups meeting every day in Berlin. It's heaven.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 04 November 2009 at 10:41pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version