Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 113 of 169
18 November 2012 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
Technically you are right that Bokmål is not a spoken language. In actual fact, Standard Eastern Norwegian
(the dialect spoken in and around Oslo and in the larger part of Eastern Norway) is pretty much identical to
Bokmål. To be frank I think there are political reasons for not admitting that fact. Nynorsk does not have a
spoken variant since it is a sort of West Norwegian Esperanto. To make it "fair" the same is said about
Bokmål. I would be very interested in hearing what actual differences could be found between the spoken
and the written variant. I am not aware of any after having spoken it for the good part of 50 years.
3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 114 of 169
18 November 2012 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
louisjanus wrote:
   As a Swede, do you think that learning Danish is a non-issue?

Not a Swede, but Danish and Swedish really have markedly different phonologies and do
have quite a bit of diverging vocabulary, to a much bigger extent than is the case
between Bokmål and Nynorsk if I recall correctly.

Edited by tarvos on 18 November 2012 at 4:59pm

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6668 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 115 of 169
18 November 2012 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
Right on the spot. Written Danish doesn't look a bit like spoken Swedish, nor does Danish sound like written Swedish. Whenever I hear Norwegian, my main attention is on the accent, not the vocabulary or the grammar. Whether someone says "eg" or "jeg" is less important (for me as passive Norwegian aficionado).

Indeed, I'm more into (understanding) spoken Norwegian than reading the language, and unless there are some super-obvious phrasings (e.g. "eg" vs. "jeg"), I won't know if I'm reading pure Bokmål or Nynorsk, nor do I care. Sad but true.

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4632 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 116 of 169
18 November 2012 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Technically you are right that Bokmål is not a spoken
language. In actual fact, Standard Eastern Norwegian
(the dialect spoken in and around Oslo and in the larger part of Eastern Norway) is
pretty much identical to
Bokmål. To be frank I think there are political reasons for not admitting that fact.
Nynorsk does not have a
spoken variant since it is a sort of West Norwegian Esperanto. To make it "fair" the
same is said about
Bokmål. I would be very interested in hearing what actual differences could be found
between the spoken
and the written variant. I am not aware of any after having spoken it for the good part
of 50 years.

Bokmål is very flexible. The feminine noun gender is optional, for instance. Also, the
use of a-ending of past tense verbs, and so on is up to you.

Nynorsk, on the other hand, uses words like "tilrå" and "høve" instead of "anbefale"
and "anledning" even though Westerners might use the latter set of words, and some
might not even know what "høve" means.

Edited by stifa on 18 November 2012 at 8:14pm

limey75
United Kingdom
germanic.eu/
Joined 4158 days ago

119 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Norwegian, Old English

Message 117 of 169
18 November 2012 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
I learnt to read Bokmål, and can I freely admit that some Nynorsk texts cause me some extra effort, especially "ultra-conservative" Nynorsk from around the 1930s or so.

Edited by limey75 on 19 November 2012 at 3:48am

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4427 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 118 of 169
19 November 2012 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
''Radical'' Nynorsk is the one which is close to ''Radical'' Bokmaal ;)

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 119 of 169
20 November 2012 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
Radikalt nynorsk hedder høgnorsk ('High Norwegian'), hvilket minder mig om Tolkiens kunstsprog 'High Elven' (Quenya) ... omend det nok må siges at der er flere fans af Quenya end af Høgnorsk på dette trin af verdenshistorien.

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4280 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 120 of 169
20 November 2012 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
I think the word "progressivt" rather than "radikalt" is used for Nynorsk that looks similar to "radikalt" Bokmål

This discussion contains 169 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version