cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5619 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 25 of 169
09 January 2010 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
All this stuff that Iversen mentions is ancient history. I like the Nordic countries better than any other countries.

As far as I'm concerned all of Scandinavia / Nordic ought to join in a union, then modify the language to a suitable mix of all three languages. I'd even concede to fully switching to any of the other languages (apart from Finnish) if that would help. Don't care where the capital is either, or who is head of state.

We have almost the same political opinions, the exact same religion (apart from some recent arrivals...) plus, similar problems etc. I think it would benefit everyone. We could then either leave the EU and go it alone together, or become much more influential in the EU together.

I know that Sweden has been a little bit dominant, arrogant and even aggressive towards the neighbours at various points in the past, but I don't think anyone in Sweden would approves of this anymore.. rather wish to start from scratch.

If you think about it, our neighbours are back in business; Germany united and unstoppable, Poland up-and-coming force soon to be reckoned with, the Baltic states joined Nato (ouch!) and Russia doing... whatever they are doing, hard to say.... Plus EU is increasing all the time...

Time to stick together as a family if you ask me!

4 persons have voted this message useful

densou
Italy
foto.webalice.it/denRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5913 days ago

120 posts - 121 votes 
Speaks: Italian*

Message 26 of 169
13 January 2010 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
As far as I'm concerned all of Scandinavia / Nordic ought to join in a union, then modify the language to a suitable mix of all three languages.

Isn't Nordic Council already a sort of 'union' ?!
1 person has voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5619 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 

Message 27 of 169
13 January 2010 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
Yeah but I don't think the Nordic Council does very much.

I read the link from Takens "political" thread about Norway wanting to Iceland to join Norway.

I'd seriously wish to consider that if I was Icelandic. They are in dire straits financially whereas Norway is top of the league. It's true that it is really the same people, like the article says. The Icelanders are just people who emigrated west from Norway about a millenium ago, or so. They could have "hjemmestyre" like Greenland has with Denmark. The best of two worlds. Iceland doesn't really have any actual assets for export other than fish and brainpower. They won't be making a comeback as bankers any time soon. So why not join Norway? According to Dagbladet there is a large Facegroup group for it. It would be one step towards Nordic unity.

I am worried that the other countries dislike Sweden a bit! I know the Danes don't like the Swedish nuclear power plant on the South coast and the behaviour of some Swedish people who go on day-trips to Copenhagen, All of the other countries think that Sweden has been too relaxed in allowing too much economic migrants and refuggees to stay on.. Thereby creating problems for itself by doing this. Then there is the small matter of Sweden having occupied both Norway and Finland in the past.. Snapping Skåne from Denmark in one of several wars with DK.... And our non-participation in WW2!
Are we the least popular country in Scandinavia?? (:crying:)

3 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5234 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 28 of 169
13 January 2010 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
Yeah but I don't think the Nordic Council does very much.

I read the link from Takens "political" thread about Norway wanting to Iceland to join Norway.

I'd seriously wish to consider that if I was Icelandic. They are in dire straits financially whereas Norway is top of
the league. It's true that it is really the same people, like the article says. The Icelanders are just people who
emigrated west from Norway about a millenium ago, or so. They could have "hjemmestyre" like Greenland has
with Denmark. The best of two worlds. Iceland doesn't really have any actual assets for export other than fish and
brainpower. They won't be making a comeback as bankers any time soon. So why not join Norway? According to
Dagbladet there is a large Facegroup group for it. It would be one step towards Nordic unity.

Well, they actually did choose independence rather than "hjemmestyre" with Denmark in 1944. If it hadn't been
for the financial crisis I don't think anybody in Iceland would consider joining Norway. If they did join Norway,
what would happen when the crisis be over? No, they better join the EU instead.
2 persons have voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5619 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 

Message 29 of 169
13 January 2010 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
I thought they weren't interested in the EU?

(I live in England so I am a bit out of touch with Scandinavian politics)

Last I heard they were not interested...

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5234 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 30 of 169
13 January 2010 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
I thought they weren't interested in the EU?

(I live in England so I am a bit out of touch with Scandinavian politics)

Last I heard they were not interested...

They applied for membership in 2009.

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5619 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 

Message 31 of 169
13 January 2010 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Aha.... Thanks! :-)

I actually worked in the same building as Landsbanki's headquarters in London. To say that English people were upset would be an understatement. Until the UK govt promised to compensate savers with govt money they had to put extra guards at the entrance of the building to prevent angry savers from getting in to give the staff there a hard time. They even camoflaged the corporate logo to confuse intruders!

The UK view on Iceland is not great since Iceland seriousy started considering not paying the money to the UK. I really understand their difficult predicament though.

In a way it's a pity Iceland should be forced to join by circumstances like this. In reality I don't think they are interested and they didn't join previously because it would mess up the fishing rights for Icelandic fishermen.

taKen
Tetraglot
Norway
mindofthelinguist.woRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5898 days ago

176 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Dutch, French
Studies: German, Icelandic

Message 32 of 169
15 January 2010 at 2:49am | IP Logged 
No matter what comes out of all this, I just hope the Nordic countries will work more
closely together. We've had a lot of Icelanders coming to Norway this past year,and I'd
gladly welcome even more of them. ;-)

This discussion contains 169 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version