Language Learning Forum : Language Bookstores Post Reply
13 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6267 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 1 of 13
30 October 2009 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
Let's use this topic to keep track of what is around in Berlin.

First, obviously, there is Dussmann on Friedrichsstraße, the largest bookstore in Berlin. They have a large section with language courses, easy readers, grammars and dictionaries, not just for the big languages but also many smaller ones. Most of these materials use German as a base language. They also seem to have a complete or near-complete collection of Kauderwelsch language guides. In terms of non-simplified books in foreign languages, they have a decent amount of stuff in the most studied languages, including audiobooks, and their selection of English fictional and non-fictional books can compete with that of a small bookstore in Britain. Dussmann also has several floors with CDs.

If you're only interested in French, there is a French-only bookstore on Linienstraße 141, which has about the typical size of a small French bookstore - quite a sensation in Berlin though. Note that this bookstore does not feature materials for learning French, just the kind of things that native speakers would find interesting.

If you're interested in Portuguese, there is a store with Portuguese & Brazilian items on Torstraße 159. This store mostly features books in Portuguese, translated Portugese books, Portuguese courses for Germans and German courses for Portugese speakers. However, they also have a section with music and cook books from all parts of the Portuguese-speaking world (yes including Mozambique and various tropical islands) and some Portuguese/Brazilian groceries, including Guarana Antarctica, Brazil's national energy drink.

If you're interested in Russian, check out the Russisches Haus der Wissenschaft und Kultur on Friedrichstraße 176-179. They have an extensive Russian library and at least during the Expolingua (never looked at other times) they also sell a lot of new Russian books and audiobooks.

On Torstraße 231 there is also an indie video rental place, which has foreign movies from all over the world, including some crazy languages like Burmese and Tibetan.

---------------

All of these places are within walking distance of where I live. There must be similar and other places in other parts of Berlin. Please let me know if you find any!

Edited by Sprachprofi on 30 October 2009 at 8:23pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6349 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 2 of 13
31 October 2009 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
Thanks! Alas, one week too late, I would have loved to have seen this prior to last weekend when I was wandering the streets of Berlin.

I did discover Dussman and have to say that they have an excellent choice. Make sure to check out the collection of bilingual books from the editors dtv.

Edited by zenmonkey on 31 October 2009 at 6:40pm

1 person has voted this message useful

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7173 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 13
31 October 2009 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi, thanks a lot for these excellent tips. You love books and it shows!

Dripdrip
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5321 days ago

58 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Italian

Message 4 of 13
31 October 2009 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
I always thought that Hugendubel in Tauentzienstraße was bigger than Dussmann, but perhaps not. They have a good selection of dictionaries.

jondesousa
Tetraglot
United States
goo.gl/Zgg3nRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6061 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Message 5 of 13
02 November 2009 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi, have you ever had Guarana Antarctica? Being Brazilian Portuguese, I drink it frequently and highly recommend it. It is quite tasty.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6267 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 6 of 13
02 November 2009 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
jondesousa wrote:
Sprachprofi, have you ever had Guarana Antarctica? Being Brazilian Portuguese, I drink it frequently and highly recommend it. It is quite tasty.

I have, and it's too sugary for me. However, my boyfriend loves it and bought up the store's whole stock once. Ever since then, they have added 24-can palettes of Guarana to their offerings.

jondesousa
Tetraglot
United States
goo.gl/Zgg3nRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6061 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Message 7 of 13
02 November 2009 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
I have, and it's too sugary for me.

My mother-in-law says the same thing. Oh well, more for me!

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6267 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 8 of 13
04 October 2010 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
I recently discovered another book store that should delight any forum member: the "Café
Tasso" (yes it doubles as a café) on Frankfurter Allee 11 in Friedrichshain. There, all
books are € 1 only, yet they have good books, nice hardcover editions of things, modern
books as well as classics, and one wall full of foreign-language books including some
language courses.

http://www.cafe-tasso.de/

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version