13 messages over 2 pages: 1
Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5474 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 9 of 13
04 October 2010 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
When I was in Berlin this spring, a Belgian friend of mine introduced me to a small all-French bookstore which was downstairs in someplace called... I want to say the Galleria? Can't really remember the name, but it was a big mall-type building right in the center of town. Sprachprofi, do you perhaps know the place I'm talking about?
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6251 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 10 of 13
05 October 2010 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:
When I was in Berlin this spring, a Belgian friend of mine introduced me to
a small all-French bookstore which was downstairs in someplace called... I want to say
the Galleria? Can't really remember the name, but it was a big mall-type building right
in the center of town. Sprachprofi, do you perhaps know the place I'm talking about?

Galeria Kaufhof? With the word Galeria in big green letters? There is more than one in
Berlin, the most prominent one on Alexanderplatz, but I don't recall a French bookstore
in the basement there. I may have missed it; I don't typically shop at Galeria.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5474 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 11 of 13
21 October 2010 at 6:23am | IP Logged 
(Wow, sorry for the 15-day delay in responding... why did this site stop sending out notifications when people respond to threads you've posted in?)

I finally remembered the name: Galeries Lafayette, and the bookstore is called the "Librairie Française." Here's a link: http://www.galerieslafayette.de/librairie-francaise-franzoes ische-buchhandlung/

It's a very small shop, but it has a pretty good variety of books, if my memory does not deceive me.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6251 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 12 of 13
09 March 2011 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
Another bookstore to recommend: there's a used bookstore with a large section of books
in/about foreign languages on Rosa-Luxemburg-Straße between Torstraße and Rosa-Luxemburg-
Platz. Not sure of the house number, but you can easily recognize it by the book stands
outside. Warning: only open Tuesday through Friday, 5pm to 10pm.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6251 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 13 of 13
24 July 2011 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
I recently discovered another book store that should delight any
forum member: the "Café
Tasso" (yes it doubles as a café) on Frankfurter Allee 11 in Friedrichshain. There, all
books are € 1 only, yet they have good books, nice hardcover editions of things, modern
books as well as classics, and one wall full of foreign-language books including some
language courses.

http://www.cafe-tasso.de/

A while ago, they opened the basement to accommodate more books. Right now, it's a
particularly good place to get Russian books - a forum member who wishes to remain
anonymous walked away with 60+ Russian science books yesterday and yes there are still
plenty of (non-science) books remaining. There are also many English and French books,
surprisingly many Czech books and decent amounts of Spanish, Italian and Portuguese
books, some Chinese and Turkish books, plus some dictionaries and language courses. The
2003 edition of Assimil Türkisch is no longer available ;-)

Edited by Sprachprofi on 24 July 2011 at 4:48pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version