Language Learning Forum : Links & Internet Resources Post Reply
Amoore
Denmark
Joined 4076 days ago

177 posts - 218 votes 
Speaks: Danish*

Message 1 of 8
30 October 2009 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
"The coming introduction of non-Latin characters represents the biggest technical
change to the Internet since it was created four decades ago,"

http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-30oct09-e n.htm

Edited by Amoore on 30 October 2009 at 9:15pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 3827 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 2 of 8
30 October 2009 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
I think this has been posted before. I can't see how this could be "the biggest technical change for 40 years". Perhaps internally, but to everyone else concerned, outside a narrow circle of developers, this is hardly revolutionary. Who cares, really, except that there's going to be lots more misunderstandings?

I guess it's cool in a way, but it really serves no practical purpose as far as I can see.

Edited by Gusutafu on 30 October 2009 at 10:01pm

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 4340 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 3 of 8
30 October 2009 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
Cyrillic domains are not a novelty, there are Bulgarian domains .бг and .инфо since 2008 but they are not very popular. People prefer the Latin global domains .bg .net and .com.

The way it is now Cyrillic domains are automatically translated to Latin text. Maybe they'll change that too, it would be a nice change.

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 3873 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 4 of 8
31 October 2009 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Hmm...I assume there are protective measures in place to make sure nobody can register, for example, www.google.com with a Greek "o" and a Cyrillic "e", right?

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 4340 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 5 of 8
31 October 2009 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
Levi wrote:
Hmm...I assume there are protective measures in place to make sure nobody can register, for example, www.google.com with a Greek "o" and a Cyrillic "e", right?

Haha. I suppose Google will be busy registering all possible domains that look like "Google" in any conceivable script.

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 5074 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 6 of 8
31 October 2009 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
Levi wrote:
Hmm...I assume there are protective measures in place to make sure nobody can register, for example,
www.google.com with a Greek "o" and a Cyrillic "e", right?

Yes, that was one of the initial concerns that was dealt with many years ago — to prevent registration of mixed-script
domains that used visually ambiguous characters. Additionally, most modern browsers have dealt with this already and
have phishing filters included.

The ICANN announcement is a little misleading. As someone else noted, non-Latin domains have been available for
years and years. A rather famous one is 卐.com. As far as I can tell, the only new change is
the ability to create non-Latin TLDs like .日本 for Japan or whatever. This is already done in some countries but requires
(to my knowledge) special software support.

Ultimately, domain names themselves may become obsolete. In Japan, advertisements never provide URLs. Instead, they
give a search term to search for at Google or Yahoo, which will yield that site as the top result. They also provide a QR
code you scan with your phone, which takes you directly to the website.

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 4340 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 7 of 8
31 October 2009 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
[QUOTE=Levi] The ICANN announcement is a little misleading. As someone else noted, non-Latin domains have been available for
years and years. A rather famous one is 卐.com. As far as I can tell, the only new change is
the ability to create non-Latin TLDs like .日本 for Japan or whatever. This is already done in some countries but requires
(to my knowledge) special software support.

The major change is they are switching to Unicode so http://卐.com/ will no longer be transcribed to "http://xn--zkr.com/" (pay attention to the address bar, that's what happens with the current DNS system). Top level domains already exist in many languages but they are transcribed in the same way, which is rather ad hoc.

p.s. Why did you pick this particular site, uh ^_^ It is an abused symbol and like it or not it will always be associated with negative things. As far as I know the swastika is a symbol of motion and change in Slavic mythology. However, I think the end sections of the Slavic symbol are going in the opposite direction.

Edited by Sennin on 31 October 2009 at 4:31pm

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 5074 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 8 of 8
01 November 2009 at 8:07am | IP Logged 
Ah, thanks for the clarification, Sennin. My browser (Safari) doesn't convert unicode characters to that expanded
ASCII code so I never noticed.

As for why I picked that domain, I chose it because (1) it came to mind, and (2) it's an informative and interesting
page. Language learners of all people should be above petty prejudices against cross-cultural letters and symbols
and approach the world with an open mind.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version