Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5450 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 9 of 15
02 November 2009 at 3:29am | IP Logged 
For bilingual books in Czech + (English or French or German or Spanish) the main publisher is: Garamond particularly enjoyable are the Crime fiction books

1 person has voted this message useful

aru-aru
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 6238 days ago

244 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, Russian

Message 10 of 15
20 August 2010 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
China and Taiwan publishes lots of those. I own a few, and I'll just give the names of the publisher.

汉英对照 stands for a bilingual book (Chinese-English), Google that and I believe you'll get enough of other choices. Other options 英汉对照, 中英双语.

外文出版社 (Foreign Languages Press) Their 经典的回声(Echo of Classics) Series is probably a good choice.

外语教学与研究出版社 (Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press) Some books here Chinese-French, Chinese-Korean and Chinese-Japanese books available

华语教学出版社 (Sinolingua) Your stop for bilingual grammar books and what not. Also available for a few different languages. Website here. Also offers two books by Ba Jin in bilingual edition. This is a publisher that I really like, though I do not have any bilingual novel of theirs.

中国人民大学出版社 (China Renmin University Press)

远方出版社 These guys publish Western classics in dual language version. I have Jules Verne. This seems to be a good choice for those not in favour of Chinese classics.

繁体字 anyone? Go for The Chinese University Press They have Chinese-English Bilingual Edition series, and the choice is BIG. Available on Amazon.

But guys, there are more. That side of the world loves parallel texts as much as Ilya Frank does.

wilzy
United States
Joined 4964 days ago

15 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish

Message 11 of 15
26 January 2011 at 9:24am | IP Logged 
The AlKitab site listed above has quite a few Arabic/English readers, but they vary quite a bit with regard to difficulty.

I don't know about all the books listed, but thought this rating of books might be useful, especially for someone who wants an easier book to start out with (This is just my opinion of the ones I've read or temporarily given up on - it is based mostly on the amount of unknown vocab)

easiest - The Black Tulip, The Secret Garden

next level - A Man From Glasgow, Little Women, The Black Arrow, Tom Sawyer

next level - The Grapes of Wrath, Tom Jones, Moonfleet, Kidnapped, The Little Prince, The Adventures of Sinbad

more difficult - Cry The Beloved Country, Jamican Inn, Animal Farm, Alice In Wonderland

most difficult - Crime and Punishment, A Passage to India
3 persons have voted this message useful

KSAKSA
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4926 days ago

65 posts - 99 votes 
Studies: Arabic (Gulf)

Message 12 of 15
30 March 2011 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
Thanks for listing the level of difficulty of the Dar Al-Bihar series...that's EXACTLY the type of list I needed!

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 13 of 15
30 March 2011 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
For Korean/English books, there are quite a few here: http://www.hanbooks.com/boinenwkotr.html

Sisa English Corp is the company that publishes most of the titles on that page and their selection is actually much larger than what Hanbooks shows. In the back of "어린 왕자 / The Little Prince" (the only one of the Sisa English Corp books that I've bought thus far) they have a list of 100 Korean/English books that they publish (and that may not even be the total now).

The Sisa books are designed for Koreans learning English (so the vocab notes explain English terms and phrases in Korean instead of vice-versa), but this doesn't really prevent them from being used the other way around and they are very inexpensive ($7.44/ea at Hanbooks and the books say 4,500원 on the back which means they should be even cheaper for anyone in South Korea).

Edited by Warp3 on 30 March 2011 at 4:36pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

pingvin10
Groupie
Hungary
Joined 6059 days ago

68 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*
Studies: English, German, Spanish, Turkish

Message 14 of 15
30 January 2012 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
For Hungarian (with corresponding translations in English, German, French, Spanish,
Italian and - though I can't find the section now, but I own some Russian novels too) I
recommend NORAN

Edited by pingvin10 on 30 January 2012 at 9:09pm

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version