Canada
senseandsanity.com
Joined 7005 days ago

88 posts - 90 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Esperanto, French, Italian

Message 1 of 51
24 December 2005 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
What are your goals for language learning for the upcoming year?

Mine are too finish FSI German, and Assimil, and be close to ILR 3 proficiency this summer, so I can start studying Russian.

I'm also working on Swedish at the moment
1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6753 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 2 of 51
24 December 2005 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
For me, it is (a) to substantially enlarge my Spanish vocabulary through reading novels and newspapers and to improve oral comprehension by watching movies and listening to the radio, (b) finally, after two years of painful deliberations, to make a choice whether to learn Hindi or French next, and go for it.

On the language-learning gadgets list, to buy a portable DVD player, that I can comfortably take to bed, with multiregion and PAL to NTSC conversion capabilities. (Possible vendors: 220giftcenter and 220-electronics, with reviews of various players possibly to be found here).

Edited by frenkeld on 24 December 2005 at 4:08pm

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6759 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 3 of 51
24 December 2005 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
By this time next year I'd like to have enrolled in a Study Abroad program. Hopefully by then I'll be able to understand German newscasts and have all my proficiency ratings up to 8! And a 3.5 minimum GPA would also be nice, but I suppose I can't ask for too much.

Darobat
Diglot
Joined 6998 days ago

754 posts - 770 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin

Message 4 of 51
24 December 2005 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
Bring my level in Russian to a point where I can hold a conversation that isn't incredibly stunted, be able to read a Russian newspaper/magazine while understanding most of what is said, and being able to follow Russian news broadcasts. Hopefully all of that will be attainable within this timeframe.

cadomniel
Groupie
Canada
senseandsanity.com
Joined 7005 days ago

88 posts - 90 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Esperanto, French, Italian

Message 5 of 51
24 December 2005 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
I want to be advanced enough in German to apply for a DADDS scholarship in 2007, but my goal is to reach that level by the summer...

Sir Nigel
United States
Joined 6914 days ago

1126 posts - 1102 votes 
2 sounds

Message 6 of 51
24 December 2005 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
I have a lot of goals for the upcoming year.

Starting with the most likely to be completed goals I would like to:

Finish FSI French (I just started level 2)
Complete Platiquemos (I'm finishing the first level and it's been fairly easy as I already know a lot of Spanish)
I also hope to start on my Modern Russian course I have. This would be after I finish Pimsleur Russian (almost halfway!).

Other goals I'm not so sure I'll be able to tackle are:

Getting started with some German. I found FSI German for a very low price and have some other material I could study.
Learn some Portuguese. I expect this to be fairly easy since I know some Spanish.

Of course only time will tell if I can reach these goals!

KingM
Triglot
michaelwallaceauthor
Joined 7001 days ago

275 posts - 300 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Russian

Message 7 of 51
24 December 2005 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
Nice topic.

I would like to improve my French to where I can actually hold some decent conversations. More challenging, I'm also hoping to go to Russia this fall and I would like to build my Russian to the point where I can have a few simple conversations. This is my back-burner language, so I've set the modest goal of knowing one Learn in Your Car lesson of Russian per week between now and then. I'm only on lesson 6, so I've got a long way to go.

My Spanish is currently in maintainance phase and since I've got daily Spanish conversation between now and April and a trip to Mexico planned for spring, this shouldn't be too difficult.

dadafeig
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6796 days ago

82 posts - 83 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Dutch

Message 8 of 51
24 December 2005 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
Be able to understand almost everything said on T.V. in Spanish and be able to read nearly everything such as newspapers in Spanish, and finish FSI level 2. Basically just gain near fluency in Spanish. I also wish to be able to hold a decent conversation in German. And maybe as extra be able to put basic sentences of arabic together or begin basic conversation in Russian.

Edited by dadafeig on 27 December 2005 at 9:38pm

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version