Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 65 of 231
15 February 2010 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Fasulye wrote:
(I still haven't cooked any pizza!)

When I first saw this expression I was puzzled because anything produced in an oven to my non-native mind was 'baked' - and I expected that to apply even to pizzas. But scientific investigation has proved me wrong:

"bake a pizza": 138.000 hits on Google
"cook a pizza": 358.000 hits
"make a pizza": 10.800.000 hits !!!!

So from now on I won't bake pizzas, I'll make them.

Thank you very much for this Google help. I was irritated because in German you say "eine Pizza backen" and the person who does this professionally is called "der Pizzabäcker", so it's not logical that I used "to cook a pizza". I will check what I wrote and then correct my mistake(s).

Analog to this I have now checked the same with quiche in Google.

"to bake a quiche" - 1.490.000 entries
"to cook a quiche" - 966.000 entries
"to make a quiche" - 1.390.000 entries

So for the quiche it's either "to bake" or "to make".

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 15 February 2010 at 2:22pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Hobbema
United States
Joined 5500 days ago

541 posts - 575 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese, French, Dutch

Message 66 of 231
15 February 2010 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
Este é uma receita tradicional Brasileira.   Eu o tenho de   um Brasileiro.
This is a      recipe traditional Brazilian.    I   it have from a    Brazilian.

Eu pensei que podería   bom para seu diário comida “multi-cultural”
I thought that could be good for   your diary food    “multi-cultural”.

Você pode adicionar outros legumes, também
You    can      add      other vegetables too.

Desculpe, as    medições       são em inglês.
I’m sorry, the measurements are in  English.

Arroz e Feijão
Rice and Beans

1 chávena de arroz
1    cup     of    rice

3/4 chávena de feijão seco
3/4   cup       of beans dried

2 dentes de alho
2 cloves of garlic

1 cebola
1 onion

azeite
olive oil

sal   e   pimenta a gosto
salt and pepper to taste

1.     Deixe cozinhar o arroz no água a ferver cerca 20 minutos.   Tampa sem    calor para 20 minutos.
Let        cook the rice   in water to boil    about 20 minutes. Cover without heat   for 20 minutes.

2.     Embebe os feijãos no água durante a noite. Deixe cozinhar os feijãos no água a ferver cerca 20
Soak the beans in water during the night. Let cook the beans in water to boil about 20

minutos.
       minutes.

3.     Pique a   cebola e     os dentes de alho    e leve   a alourar num tacho com o     azeite.
Chop the onion and the cloves of garlic and take to brown   in a pan   with the olive oil.

4.     Tempero com sal e pimenta.
Season with salt and pepper.

5.     Junte o feijão bem escorrido. Mexa bem, rectifique o tempero,     e deixe cozinhar, entre 2 a 5
Add the beans well drained.     Mix well,    correct the seasoning, and let   cook, between 2 to 5

6.     minutos. Sirva imediatamente.
minutes. Serve immediately

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5606 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 67 of 231
15 February 2010 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
What a coincidence, Hobbema! I was thinking about the fact that I was cooking so many recipes with pasta and nothing with rice. It seems to me that the Italian cuisine doesn't use rice. Your Brasilian recipe will be very easy to cook, and a cup is a cup, so this is a common mesurement. I think I will cook your recipe right away this week, because I was searching for cheap meals. I will comment on my cooking experience in this log, the only pity is that I can't write in Portuguese. But I should write my comment in Spanish then for example with an English or Dutch summary.

So thanks for the recipe - and let's start cooking tomorrow!

Fasulye

Hobbema
United States
Joined 5500 days ago

541 posts - 575 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese, French, Dutch

Message 68 of 231
15 February 2010 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
Oh good, I am glad you will try it! I have always been interested in dried beans as food because they store easily, they are very inexpensive, they are nutritious and have many health benefits. And rice and beans together are especially good because when mixed they have a complete protein, more than either one all by itself.

During my few visits to Brazil, my work is in a factory, and it is the law in Manaus that the employer have lunch available for the workers because so many of them are very poor. I would eat with the factory workers, and every day (along with other things) they would have rice and beans. Often some of the gravy from the water the beans were cooked in was left in, and that was good too. I would add a hot sauce made with a local “lady fingers” pepper, and everything was eaten with this ground up root (I think it is called manioc) which is very popular there.

The recipe is very easy and you can mix many other things into it, if you want. Feel free to write in Spanish. Portuguese is closely related, and I had some years of Spanish in high school and college, and while it is not one of my current target languages, I can read much of it.   I still have my Spanish verbs book and dictionary, too. And it is very appropriate because the rest of that continent is Spanish speaking and this dish is a staple in other Latin American countries as well.

Eet smakelijk!

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5606 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 69 of 231
16 February 2010 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
Hobbema wrote:
Oh good, I am glad you will try it! I have always been interested in dried beans as food because they store easily, they are very inexpensive, they are nutritious and have many health benefits. And rice and beans together are especially good because when mixed they have a complete protein, more than either one all by itself.

During my few visits to Brazil, my work is in a factory, and it is the law in Manaus that the employer have lunch available for the workers because so many of them are very poor. I would eat with the factory workers, and every day (along with other things) they would have rice and beans. Often some of the gravy from the water the beans were cooked in was left in, and that was good too. I would add a hot sauce made with a local “lady fingers” pepper, and everything was eaten with this ground up root (I think it is called manioc) which is very popular there.

COCINDANDO LA RECETA "RIZO CON JUDIAS NEGRAS"

Es muy isteresante para mi de saber que cosas comen los pobres de otros países. En Alemania hay bastantes personas pobres pero ellas a veces tienen la reputación de cocinar y comer cosas que no son sanas y de fumar demasiado. Pero estas receta de Brasilia prueba que sea posible de comer sano sin mucho dinero. Con gusto cociné esta receta hoy con algunas pequeñas variaciones.

Los ingredientes:

- 1 taza de judias negras secas (puestas en remojo un día antes)
- 1 taza de agua
- 5 tomates frescos
- 1 pimento rojo fresco
- 1 pimiento amarillo fresco
- 1 taza de rizo Basmati
- 1 grande cebolla
- 2 dientos de ajo
- 1 cuchara caldo de verdura
- sal y pimienta

Es buena, esta receta. Normalmente prefiero utilizar las judias de conserva, pero con judias secas es también posible cocinar bien. Eso es adequado para mi collección de recetas utilas. Gracias para esta contribución!

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 16 February 2010 at 3:20pm

pim
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 5154 days ago

5 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Italian, Russian

Message 70 of 231
18 February 2010 at 7:59am | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
It seems to me that the Italian cuisine doesn't use rice.

May I remind you to the existence of risotto? Also, vast areas of the Po Valley are used for the cultivation of rice.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5606 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 71 of 231
18 February 2010 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
pim wrote:
Fasulye wrote:
It seems to me that the Italian cuisine doesn't use rice.

May I remind you to the existence of risotto? Also, vast areas of the Po Valley are used for the cultivation of rice.

Good remark, I will have to check my Italian cooking magazines again for rice dishes. Yes, I have heard about risotto, but I've never cooked it.

Fasulye

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5606 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 72 of 231
23 February 2010 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
Martedi, 23 febraio 2010

Un'altro giorno della cucina Italiana: FUSILLI ALLE VERDURE

Una ricetta come questa è un po' standard per me - molto facile da cucinare, molto sana ed buon' mercata!

Gli ingredienti:

- 400 g di fusilli
- 2 peperoni
- 2 carote
- 2 zucchine
- 1 porro
- sale
- prezzemolo
- 6 cuchiai di olio extravergine di oliva

Ho aggiunto anche:

- pepe
- un po' brodo vegetale
- parmiggiano gratteggiato

In questo piatto mi manca una salsa fluida, questa è la differanza con la mia tradizione di cucinare. Cucinare questo senza tomate è un po' strano, ma d'accordo.

Allora alla prossima volta,

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 23 February 2010 at 2:43pm

This discussion contains 231 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version