huliganov.tvRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5150 days ago

91 posts - 304 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish, French, German, Russian, Spanish, Esperanto, Czech
Studies: Romanian, Turkish, Mandarin, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 9 of 16
20 January 2011 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
I found them pretty helpful to get some tourist vocab when starting a language - they work best if the chemistry is right between the speakers - to my ears they are certainly as good as, and less painful, than other phrasebook audio methods like the Pimsleur method.

But I can't even hear them for the music! Not being tone deaf, if music is on, that's what I hear first even if the speech is louder. And if the music is simply repetitive, and also where the guy's finger who is playing makes an unwarranted noise as it slides down the metal string, and then they play that to me over and over while two people are speaking Mandarin, then I'm sorry, but the only Chinese I'm getting there is Chinese water torture, or the musical equivalent of.

If they had provided the option of switching the pseudomusic off, then I might feel entirely differently about it.

As it is, I feel all I need now is a course that has people with severe speech impediments doing an all-audio course with someone in the background teasing a cat and yelling at a kid and running their nails down a chalkboard, and then for the mp3 player to start giving off cigarette fumes, in order to irritate me more.

1 person has voted this message useful

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6028 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 10 of 16
20 January 2011 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
I did not have a problem with the music. However, I did not find it a faster way to learn. It is only a tourist level set of words or phrases.
The Russian woman is a jazz singer. She does a better than average job compared to the German, French or Spanish versions.

If you want to learn about 200 words or phrases for travel in about 3 weeks, it is an ok product.

Edited by hobbitofny on 20 January 2011 at 8:57pm

Badwolf
United Kingdom
Joined 4847 days ago

4 posts - 2 votes

Message 11 of 16
25 January 2011 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
I've been using the Italian courses in preparation for a trip and found the earworms very useful indeed, I found the
music helped me relax and the words just came naturally.

Also the price was very good

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4704 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 12 of 16
18 June 2011 at 12:50pm | IP Logged 
I had the German volumes 1 & 2, and now French 1 & 2. The chemistry between the speakers is better on the German set, and the German speaker varies her intonation more than the French speaker (e.g. when repeating a phrase she makes it sound different each time, which is far less boring).

Overall, it is a nice supplement for a raw beginner, that's it. If you are a beginner, then I think it's worth the money.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5360 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 13 of 16
18 June 2011 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
If I remember rightly, the French one has some outmoded usages like 'puis je avoir qqc' - OK not wrong, but when I recently used it in a Swiss cafe (due to a panic situation it came into me head first) I was laughed at as if I was speaking like a Victorian.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4704 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 14 of 16
18 June 2011 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
"due to a panic situation it came into me head first"

I suppose that's evidence of its effectiveness. Pity the phrase wasn't the best choice
though. Or was it because of where you were? (I don't know much French.... yet!)

electron44
United States
Joined 5120 days ago

20 posts - 23 votes
Studies: Norwegian, Irish

Message 15 of 16
18 June 2011 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
I saw this product a while ago and it was too 'gimmicky' for my tastes. Perhaps there is something to its method, but to me, the time spent listenining to the CDs could've been spent doing something more taxing. It's good to see a review on this anyway, since it pretty much confirms my suspicions about the downside of the product.

It probably could be good for a beginner, but again, there are alternatives with a higher rate of return.

Edited by electron44 on 18 June 2011 at 10:39pm

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6174 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 16
19 June 2011 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
I don't think comparing earworms to a regular course or textbook is a fair comparison. Earworms seems designed to be used exactly when you don't want to do something rigorous. I.e., it's more of a complement to more serious study rather than a substitute.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version