Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5348 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 1 of 41
11 November 2009 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
What are your favorite dialects, for English or for any other language you speak/study, and why?

For English, I think my favorite dialect is Australian. I enjoy the vowel sounds, and the fact that they seem to be undergoing something similar to what happened during the Great Vowel Shift. In Spanish, I like listening to an Argentine accent, but I can't say exactly why. What about you?
1 person has voted this message useful

Halie
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5891 days ago

80 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 2 of 41
11 November 2009 at 8:04am | IP Logged 
I love Australian, too. And I'm not sure if this is a dialect, per say, but I love hearing the Swiss speak English. I don't mean to offend by this comment, but they sound so... cute. I also like certain American Southern accents. Like a very refined, Scarlett O'Hara accent. Other ones, not so much...

In Spanish, I like a very Spanish Spanish. My ear is not trained enough to know of different accents within Spain, but if you point out, Spain v. Mexico dialect, I prefer Spain.

Eumaeus
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5385 days ago

75 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 3 of 41
11 November 2009 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
You like Australian? I've always hated my dumb aussie accent. It has softened a lot over the years because I travelled a lot in my late teens and twenties. Sometimes I get mistaken for a Kiwi and only a few days ago a Glaswegian mistook me for a Londoner. But Struth!, when I was a kid I sounded like the flamin' crocodile hunter, crikey!

kyknos
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5277 days ago

103 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: Slovak, Czech*, English
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 4 of 41
11 November 2009 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
I loved the presumably Australian accent of my former coworker. But I am not sure whether it was authentic, he is a child of Hungarian Jews born in Eastern Germany, spent his childhood in Australia, then went to Israel, Africa, USA, Ukraine and finally ended here, with an impresive collection of four passports from four different countries :)

Regarding the Czech language, I love the accent of people of Olomouc region. Especially if spoken by pretty girls.

Edited by kyknos on 11 November 2009 at 10:16am

Vinbelgium
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Belgium
Joined 5605 days ago

61 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, Flemish*, English, French
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 5 of 41
11 November 2009 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
Halie wrote:

In Spanish, I like a very Spanish Spanish. My ear is not trained enough to know of different accents within Spain, but if you point out, Spain v. Mexico dialect, I prefer Spain.

I prefer the Spanish from Spain too.

Regarding French, I like the Parisian accent.

For Dutch, I like the Flemish accent more - probably because I'm from Flanders myself.

And considering German, I don't like the Hochdeutsch. I prefer the accent/dialect from Bayern!

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5685 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 6 of 41
11 November 2009 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
Australian hurts my ears...

I like the South-African English though ^_^

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5619 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 7 of 41
11 November 2009 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
South African accents are very attractive... Or maybe it's just the tall, tanned rugby player image that a lot of these guys have got going for them... Anyway I prefer it over Australian.

pookiebear79
Groupie
United States
Joined 5811 days ago

76 posts - 142 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Swedish, Italian

Message 8 of 41
11 November 2009 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
I guess I'm a little weird, but my 2 favorite varieties of native spoken English are ones I've noticed a lot of people (primarily Brits themselves) seem to make fun of.

I love the sound of English spoken by Welsh people and I love the way most people from Northern England sound as well. (Now, I obviously don't have a language map with recordings of each accent/dialect within those areas, so I had to use those somewhat general categories. I am aware there there is not one single Welsh accent or one single Northern English accent, but just that generally I enjoy the sound of English spoken by people of those areas.) An example of what I mean by a nice sounding Northern Accent would be antiques dealer Paul Hayes, or Christopher Eccleston, both of whom are from Lancashire (I think.) Accents like theirs make me go weak. Like I said, I've noticed English people before making jokes about Northerners and the way they talk, but either of those guys (or any person who sounds similar) could read me the phone book and I'd pay attention.
And as for Welsh people (speaking English, I mean, not Welsh) I was listening to a Welsh couple on TV yelling at each other and it still sounded nice, LOL. I can't recall where they were from (it wasn't Cardiff,) but I like all of the ones I've heard.

I know most people seem to like the sound of their own country's language/dialects, but in general I'm not in love with most American dialects or accents. We speak a pretty neutral American English here, and I'm more used to hearing the accents of non native speakers of English than american dialects, so the foreign accents sound "normal"to me, while hearing strong accents from elsewhere in the US (usually on TV,) is not exactly a feast for my ears, because it sounds more foreign than the real foreign English. Like I said, I'm a bit backwards. ;)

I love the sound of Dutch and Swedish people speaking English as well. (The ones I've known, anyway.) And the Romanian immigrants I worked with when I was younger sounded quite nice in English too.

I can't really comment on other languages than English, since I'm not familiar enough with various dialects in other languages. (mainly because learning materials and radio broadcasts and such are often in the supposedly neutral "standard" variant of the language, even if it's only really standard in education and broadcasting.)

Also there are some cases where an individual speaker sounds really good, even if their accent/dialect is generally like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. There are certain variants of English from other Anglophone countries that normally make me cringe, but then I'll hear someone speaking that dialect who actually sounds very nice. So even my least faves sometimes can sound lovely. It just depends, really.

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version