Groupie
United States
Joined 5282 days ago

86 posts - 118 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, French

Message 1 of 23
11 November 2009 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
Just how similar are all of the northeast European languages? Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Finnish, German etc. I know Dutch and German are very much alike, but how about the other ones? Once I reached a fluency in German, how hard would the others be?
1 person has voted this message useful

mike92s8
United States
Joined 5280 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 23
11 November 2009 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Well I'll tell you this, Finnish isn't related to any of those other languages. That one is kin to Hungarian.

As for the others, they all have similarities to German just in different aspects. All have cognates, all have some similar grammar rules. The grammar in Dutch and German, I've read, is very similar. While the grammar rules from German to the Scandinavian languages is slightly divergent in as much that if you were to directly translate a sentence from German to, say, Swedish the Swede will understand but it would still be wrong. Hope that helps.

Elwing
Tetraglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5296 days ago

43 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: Swedish, Finnish*, English, French
Studies: Norwegian

Message 3 of 23
11 November 2009 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
Swedish and Norwegian languages are so close that the speakers can understand each other without any problems.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6491 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 23
11 November 2009 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
If you become reasonably good at German then the combined vocabulary from that language plus English will probably be be enough to make it possible for you to get the gist of texts in Dutch, and with a slightly larger distance also in Danish, Norwegian and Swedish.

However the morphology of German is quite different from that of those languages. I normally say that German is a surviving medieval language: in the main it has kept those cases and verbal forms that you would find in Anglosaxon or Old Norse. Only Icelandic and Faroese are more conservative in this respect. And the rules for word order in German are somewhat different from those of other Germanic languages. English also has its quirks, such as the use of 'do'. But again: knowing both German and English will be useful in the sense that thing you find in the Nordic languages often will be known from either English or German.

The main thing that will be new to you will be the postfixed definite article in the Nordic languages. But just think of it as articleThe and you will be fine.

And Finnish is of course the odd man out.

Edited by Iversen on 11 November 2009 at 11:30pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5626 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 5 of 23
12 November 2009 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
Silvance5 wrote:
Just how similar are all of the northeast European languages? Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Finnish, German etc. I know Dutch and German are very much alike, but how about the other ones? Once I reached a fluency in German, how hard would the others be?

Well, as the Queen of Sweden could attest to (native German speaker) you can't automatically learn a Scandinavian language just because you speak German. Of course, it's a bit easier for a German speaker to learn it than for an English speaker or certainly somebody who only speaks Latin languages. But for our queen, even with top class instructors it took a very long time.

Fasulye on this forum is a native German speaker who has learnt fluent Dutch and is now taking on Danish. But she is quite a committed language student and that's why she's been successfull - not because it's super easy.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 23
12 November 2009 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
But for our queen, even with top class instructors it took a very long time.

...and she's regarded as being good at languages (having worked as an interpreter). I don't know. I haven't heard her Portuguese, French, Spanish, or English. Not her German either for that matter.

But back to the topic. To get an idea of how similar two or more languages are, one could always compare texts, such as Our father.

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5309 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 7 of 23
12 November 2009 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
cordelia0507 wrote:
But for our queen, even with top class instructors it took a very long time.

...and she's regarded as being good at languages (having worked as an interpreter). I don't know. I haven't heard her Portuguese, French, Spanish, or English. Not her German either for that matter.

But back to the topic. To get an idea of how similar two or more languages are, one could always compare texts, such as Our father.

She may be good at languages, but she is no star at pronounciation. After more than 30 years in Sweden, she still sounds very foreign. Well, at least she's better than Jean Baptiste Bernadotte, who became Charles XIV John. Apparently he never learnt any Swedish at all.

Vinbelgium
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Belgium
Joined 5612 days ago

61 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, Flemish*, English, French
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 8 of 23
12 November 2009 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
You could see Dutch as a mixture of English and German.
Scandinavian lanuages are more distant.

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version