259 posts - 392 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2
Studies: German

Message 57 of 100
05 February 2010 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
Indonesian/Malay/English/Italian/Spanish is the easiest language in the world
Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Italian/Spanish/English is the most difficult one
Sanskrit/Hebrew/Greek/Tamil is the mother of all languages

Languages with complex grammar are spoken by the most advanced populations (actually the opposite seems to
be true).
1 person has voted this message useful

zooplah
Diglot
United States
zooplah.farvista.net
Joined 6166 days ago

100 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto

Message 58 of 100
06 February 2010 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
That Esperanto is similar to Spanish or even the same thing.

zooplah
Diglot
United States
zooplah.farvista.net
Joined 6166 days ago

100 posts - 116 votes 

Message 59 of 100
06 February 2010 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
Rowena wrote:

As if American English as a whole is the neutral, accentless basis for the world!

The variety of English spoken in the middle west (Northern Midland) is the purist form of English. It's known that British English has changed considerably in the past few centuries, where American English has stayed largely the same (but has changed more at the coasts due to trade with people from other countries). A classic example is that in poetry, vase was rhymed with words like face, grace, and place, and the current British pronunciation didn't arise until the 19th century.

zooplah
Diglot
United States
zooplah.farvista.net
Joined 6166 days ago

100 posts - 116 votes 

Message 60 of 100
06 February 2010 at 5:27am | IP Logged 
Sennin wrote:
Actually, in my experience many native speakers think that English is a very easy language

True. My father claims he can't learn another language because he doesn't speak English that well. I tell him studying another language will improve his English, but he doesn't believe me. I also thought that English was an easy language, until I studied Esperanto and Spanish (if I had only studied German, I'd still think English was pretty dang easy).

Saif
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5410 days ago

122 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Levantine)*, French

Message 61 of 100
06 February 2010 at 7:07am | IP Logged 
Arabic as a Terrorist
Language

goosefrabbas
Triglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6166 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 62 of 100
06 February 2010 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Slightly related:
Native speakers often think that they have super-clear prounciation: "in our language, we pronounce every letter".

This is the complete opposite of what we think here. Most out-of-towners can't understand us very easily if we speak 'normally'.

John Smith wrote:
Native English speakers often think that English is the world's hardest language. Actually, just realised this is a widely held belief by many people around the world. Most native speakers tend to think their language is extremely difficult.
I was once told by my Spanish teacher that Spanish is a very hard language because it has many words for love whereas English only has one.

Also, I got aksed whether Italian and Greek are the same language once. lol.

I hear that about every language from its native speakers. "X is the hardest language in the world!"
And the Spanish thing reminds me of people always quoting "Eskimo has 42 words for snow!" I can think of a few in English - snow, slush, flurry, blizzard, frost, snowflake, snowfall, avalanche, etc. Sure, they don't all mean exactly the word "snow." But really, people... have some imagination and don't listen to everything you hear!

elvisrules
Tetraglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5267 days ago

286 posts - 390 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Dutch, Flemish
Studies: Lowland Scots, Japanese, German

Message 63 of 100
06 February 2010 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
goosefrabbas wrote:
people always quoting "Eskimo has 42 words for snow!" I can think of a few in English - snow, slush, flurry, blizzard, frost, snowflake, snowfall, avalanche, etc. Sure, they don't all mean exactly the word "snow." But really, people... have some imagination and don't listen to everything you hear!

Firstly, Eskimo is a language group and not a language. Secondly, the 42 words for snow is probably an underestimation: a video-documentary about Sami I watched said it had around 300 words for snow. I don't think you'll get close to that in English, no matter how many variants you find!
2 persons have voted this message useful

goosefrabbas
Triglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6166 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 64 of 100
06 February 2010 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
Sure, but every time I hear someone say something like they they say "Eskimo" is the language. Hence the quotation marks. :) And where did you see this documentary? If it's online I'd love to watch it.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version