United States
Joined 5738 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 9 of 17
20 November 2009 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
I haven't watched very many of these polyglot videos, but I have been very impressed and inspired by those I have seen. Since I don't know some of the languages being spoken and I consider myself a beginner in 3 of the languages I am learning I can't comment on things like fluency or pronunciation, but they all have a passion for learning and often teaching languages. I don't have a webcam yet, and don't know when I'll get one, but I could be brave enough to make a video for others to critique and as for nitpicking my accent, well that already happens, when I speak English so having that happen when I speak other languages would just seem normal. I'd have to say I that I was initially most inspired by the videos made by Moses McCormick, Torbyrne and loki2504.

Corrected by Fasulye.

Edited by Fasulye on 20 November 2009 at 11:46am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5909 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 10 of 17
13 September 2010 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
I thought it best to add a couple more links to people with multilingual videos on YouTube.

The first person is Kat, who speaks a nice range of language in her 9-language video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQxH8qEzYqY

The next video is of Cesare, who has been leaving messages on a number of multilingual videos, asking for feedback. I thought this the best place to put a link to his 38-language video so he could get some decent feedback from people:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwWJSbDOang

Enjoy! :)
6 persons have voted this message useful

Cesare M.
Canada
youtube.com/user/CheRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4984 days ago

99 posts - 135 votes 

Message 11 of 17
29 September 2010 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
Torbyrne wrote:
I thought it best to add a couple more links to people with multilingual videos on YouTube.

The first person is Kat, who speaks a nice range of language in her 9-language video:

The next video is of Cesare, who has been leaving messages on a number of multilingual videos, asking for feedback. I thought this the best place to put a link to his 38-language video so he could get some decent feedback from people:

Actually Richard, I uploaded a new video and deleted the 38 languages one. My new multilingual video is of me speaking 39 languages.

Here's the YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6jHK0sRiX4

Hey everybody that watched my 39 languages video, that wasn't a very good video I made and I apoligize for forgetting to mention that. I deleted my 39 languages video and am hoping to upload a new multilingual video of me speaking those 39 languages understandably. Sorry to everyone that watched the video. I am fluent in all these languages but sometimes when I get too excited when speaking those languages, I am not understandable, therefore I should speak more slowly to be understood, so I am hoping to make a new video with subtitles as well. Sorry to everybody. Please forgive me.

Edited by Cesare M. on 30 September 2010 at 2:25am

1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5134 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 12 of 17
29 September 2010 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
Cesare M. wrote:
Actually Richard, I uploaded a new video and deleted the 38 languages one. My new multilingual video is of me speaking 39 languages.

I just listened to your video and I'm not exactly overwhelmed by your skills. I only understand a couple of the languages that you speak, but in particular your Arabic (TC 5:11), Russian (TC 6:40) and German (TC 10:55) leave much to be desired and you cannot really claim to be fluent in them. (TC = Time Code)

Edited by Doitsujin on 29 September 2010 at 11:53pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Liface
Triglot
United States
youtube.com/user/Lif
Joined 5672 days ago

150 posts - 237 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 13 of 17
30 September 2010 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
Cesare M. wrote:
Torbyrne wrote:

Here's the YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6jHK0sRiX4

Please stop using the word fluent. As far as I can tell, you don't speak a single language (besides English) at more than a beginner's level. Sorry to be harsh, but it's true. Your writing and reading might be more advanced, but it's certainly not fluent.

Edited by Liface on 30 September 2010 at 12:26am

9 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5956 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 14 of 17
30 September 2010 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
I just listened to your video and I'm not exactly overwhelmed by your skills. I only understand a couple of the languages that you speak, but in particular your Arabic (TC 5:11), Russian (TC 6:40) and German (TC 10:55) leave much to be desired and you cannot really claim to be fluent in them. (TC = Time Code)

Liface wrote:
Please stop using the word fluent. As far as I can tell, you don't speak a single language (besides English) at more than a beginner's level. Sorry to be harsh, but it's true. Your writing and reading might be more advanced, but it's certainly not fluent.

I would have to agree with both of the above. I watched the whole video and I could barely make out what you were saying in the languages that we supposedly have in common. I wouldn't have even been able to tell that it was Greek you were speaking if I hadn't been told, and even so I could only pick out three words (ελληνικά, πολύ, καλά), and all pronounced incorrectly. I could more or less get the main idea of what you were talking about for Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Galician, and German (and a little for Romanian and Russian), but I would not by any means call you fluent yet.

Please know that being able to say a random sentence or two in a given language does not equal fluency, much less "native fluency" as it is listed on your profile. Would you care to share with us what makes you think you are fluent in nearly 40 languages? What is your definition of "fluency?"

I'm sorry if this seems overly harsh and critical, but it's really true. It's extremely rare for someone to speak so many languages fluently, especially at such a young age, and what you've shown us here is just not convincing at all. Please don't use the word 'fluency' because honestly this corrupts the "true" meaning of the word for those who actually speak a language fluently.

Edited by ellasevia on 30 September 2010 at 1:59am

14 persons have voted this message useful

Cesare M.
Canada
youtube.com/user/CheRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4984 days ago

99 posts - 135 votes 

Message 15 of 17
30 September 2010 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Doitsujin wrote:

Liface wrote:

I would have to agree with both of the above. I watched the whole video and I could barely make out what you were saying in the languages that we supposedly have in common. I wouldn't have even been able to tell that it was Greek you were speaking if I hadn't been told, and even so I could only pick out three words (ελληνικά, πολύ, καλά), and all pronounced incorrectly. I could more or less get the main idea of what you were talking about for Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Galician, and German (and a little for Romanian and Russian), but I would not by any means call you fluent yet.

Please know that being able to say a random sentence or two in a given language does not equal fluency, much less "native fluency" as it is listed on your profile. Would you care to share with us what makes you think you are fluent in nearly 40 languages? What is your definition of "fluency?"

I'm sorry if this seems overly harsh and critical, but it's really true. It's extremely rare for someone to speak so many languages fluently, especially at such a young age, and what you've shown us here is just not convincing at all. Please don't use the word 'fluency' because honestly this corrupts the "true" meaning of the word for those who actually speak a language fluently.

Hey everybody that watched my 39 languages video, that wasn't a very good video I made and I apoligize for forgetting to mention that. I deleted my 39 languages video and am hoping to upload a new multilingual video of me speaking those 39 languages understandably. Sorry to everyone that watched the video. I am fluent in all these languages but sometimes when I get too excited when speaking those languages, I am not understandable, therefore I should speak more slowly to be understood, so I am hoping to make a new video with subtitles as well. Sorry to everybody. Please forgive me.
1 person has voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5770 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 16 of 17
30 September 2010 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
EDIT:

Sorry, I have deleted my post in its entirely. I no longer felt comfortable with the
comments, having learned more information after originally posting.

Edited by Spanky on 30 September 2010 at 6:38am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version