Please read this...
8 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 7
17 November 2009 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
In principle Krashen has got a point here: if you read texts of a certain type and about a certain theme during the first part of your study then you will get an inbuilt review that will make it easier to deal with new texts within the same range. And you can learn more from a text if it is reasonably comprehensible.

But as noted by Krashen himself this presupposes that you are interested in the chosen kind of texts, otherwise you will be bored or even antagonistic towards them, and then you will almost certainly learn even less from your participation in the course than with the usual diffuse spread in themes (which may however be an illusion, - how big is the spread in styles and themes in the average textbook?).

Steve Kaufmann - who normally is fairly positive towards the ideas of Krashen - says in one of his videos that he doesn't like poetry (I quote from memory), and it is a waste of time to discuss study methods with him if the crux of the matter still is that someone tries to lure him into reading poetry. I fully agree with that. I generally find literature both boring and irrelevant because of the fictive plots and the ubiquitous gallery of unpleasant and stupid characters who do unpleasant and stupid things. So trying to make me learn from literature is counterproductive. This has even been tested in practice: I had problems with one and only one course during my French studies - conversation. Then I decided to stay away from all conversation classes and instead take a two week vacation in France prior to the exam. The result: my notes jumped from 5 to 8 (still the lowest character I ever got, but safely above the average).

So the new proposal from Krashen will only function if each and every student is deeply interested in the chosen theme, otherwise it will be a monumental disaster, that may transform a flimsy and volatile learning experience into a black and terrifying homogenous unending hell for those students who don't share the teacher's preferences.

Edited by Iversen on 17 November 2009 at 10:14am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6550 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 3 of 7
17 November 2009 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
Maybe it's better advice for out-of-the-classroom learning. I found I made rapid Japanese progress (going from
intermediate to advanced in a few weeks) once I found a mystery author I liked. I have read 13 of his books
already, and I can make faster progress than with other authors because I am used to his storytelling style,
vocabulary, and the non-standard kanji he likes using.

Thanks for the site link, I'm going to see what his other articles have to say.
1 person has voted this message useful

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5349 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 4 of 7
17 November 2009 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
Iversen is completely correct here. If you are not interested in the material, then it won't work. But if you are interested in a particular type of reading material, then that may be another factor that makes narrow reading work better than non-specialized reading. You will obviously learn more if you have more of a desire to read, which engages you in reading for longer periods of time and with more focus.

Furthermore, this type of reading will give you some topics you are competent at discussing. You can try to steer conversations in the language to your topics, where you have the vocabulary to converse freely.

Like Iversen, I am not particularly interested in literature or fiction. I much prefer to read non-fiction, especially books about science.

Edited by Levi on 17 November 2009 at 4:58pm

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5749 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 7
17 November 2009 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
That was a good article. When I was in Spanish classes a long time ago at university, I remember making fast progress only when I reached advanced levels which were focused on more specific topics, and the classes were much more fun and challenging.

I guess I am the odd one out here with a fondness for fiction, but actually I've been reading a lot of nonfiction lately, and I especially love scientific topics, too.

Some of the articles I choose for study online are nothing very important in themselves, but I enjoy them and learn because they are just interesting, not because they are in another language. It's kind of a two-for-one learning strategy.

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6218 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 7
17 November 2009 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
So the new proposal from Krashen will only function if each and every student is deeply interested in the chosen theme, otherwise it will be a monumental disaster, that may transform a flimsy and volatile learning experience into a black and terrifying homogenous unending hell for those students who don't share the teacher's preferences.

Which is exactly the reason why many works of literature work fine for me. Prose, poetry, you name it. :)

Thanks for sharing this article with us, james1. This seems to support my method of effortless but inefficient language learning. ;) You know what I'm talking about.

Now back to watching Europa Aktuell videos...

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5768 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 7 of 7
18 November 2009 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
What I take from the Krashen article is that narrow reading (of a series of books, say) has greater potential to inspire "fanatical" interest in reading. I've found this to be true. When I've already read one or more books in a series, I'm quite likely to get the next book just to see what happens.

He also says that we shouldn't worry about getting any kind of book that makes us happy and keeps us motivated. Some Germans may be disappointed that I'm currently reading translated Harry Potter novels and dubbed Star Trek TV shows, but right now I'm motivated to watch and read these things despite their total lack of cultural information.

The bottom line is: read lots. Whatever helps you read more is good :)

4 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version