Germany
Joined 5895 days ago

149 posts - 258 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanC1, Danish
Studies: Swedish, French, Icelandic

Message 9 of 13
21 November 2009 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't say Danish is particularly hard to pronounce. It's a bit difficult to understand at first in its spoken form due to a certain tendency to slur things together, but as far as the sounds themselves go, I'd say say that those of Danish would actually be rather more familiar to someone who speaks both German and English than those of Swedish or Norwegian.

Edited by Rameau on 22 November 2009 at 7:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

maaku
United States
Joined 5362 days ago

359 posts - 562 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 13
21 November 2009 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
My plan is Dutch, although I'm still working on my German. Was your plan to 'conquer' all the Germanic languages, like Prof. Arguelles? In that case the question is which to tackle first. My thinking was English and German are two ends of a spectrum, with Dutch somewhat in-between. So it'd be relatively easy, and probably most efficient to do right after the jump from English->German. Then I was going to tackle the Scandinavian languages.

elbereth
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5276 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Latin

Message 11 of 13
22 November 2009 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
Yes,maaku,I had thought of Dutch at first for that reason.I would not consider myself fluent in German; though I do have some knowledge.Aaah,the plan to conquer them all:) I wondered whether it was a little too ambitious.Is it? Hmm,do many have this ambition?:) I am attracted to Icelandic for its closeness to ancient language and it not having changed as much as the others.With the scandinavian languges,perhaps Norwegian then is a compromise of the three? 80% was said earlier,I will look back at that post.

From what people have said about Danish and then Swedish being rather difficult for a native speaker,I think so.Am I correct in this? Literature is a big consideration for me,it is why I pick up things through reading and writing mostly,I love reading(in English,a little foreign literature at least for now).Travel is a reason after that(yes for peace and quiet-I dislike hot and tourist areas,like many places in Spain) if opportunity comes.So,a plan of Dutch,Norwegian then Icelandic sounds good.

koffiegast
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5248 days ago

29 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 12 of 13
21 December 2009 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
Dutch is really easy if you know both German and English. Dutch does conjugate for person on verbs, but it doesn't have cases like German. The word order is also comparable to English (or German in relative clauses I believe), basically you could translate word for word and it will be fine in most cases. Pronunciation of English/German/French words are mostly retained in Dutch too (the word 'goal' is an example).

Only possible bottlenecks can be: memorizing de/het, word order becomes really complex in some cases(probably similar to English/German), pronunciation of u, ui, au/ou (if you know German, you can probably pronounce uu/u, eu, ie/i, au/ou), the 'g' (comparable to German in some cases) and the a/aa distinction (Swedish got it too).

Icelandic/Danish/Swedish/Norwegian probably have all comparable features. With English/German it shouldn't be too hard.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6227 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 13 of 13
21 December 2009 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
koffiegast wrote:
Dutch is really easy if you know both German and English. Dutch does conjugate for person on verbs, but it doesn't have cases like German. The word order is also comparable to English (or German in relative clauses I believe), basically you could translate word for word and it will be fine in most cases. Pronunciation of English/German/French words are mostly retained in Dutch too (the word 'goal' is an example).

Only possible bottlenecks can be: memorizing de/het, word order becomes really complex in some cases(probably similar to English/German), pronunciation of u, ui, au/ou (if you know German, you can probably pronounce uu/u, eu, ie/i, au/ou), the 'g' (comparable to German in some cases) and the a/aa distinction (Swedish got it too).

Icelandic/Danish/Swedish/Norwegian probably have all comparable features. With English/German it shouldn't be too hard.

Dutch is very easy to read, knowing German and English. It's a bit harder to understand (regional variation in pronunciation can make it surprisingly difficult at first). Speaking and writing it properly is much harder; it's amazingly easy to throw in Anglicisms, or borrow too much from German. The same is true with the other Germanic languages (a bit less with Icelandic), but Dutch seems so much easier to become confused with, for some reason.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version