Groupie
Canada
Joined 6444 days ago

84 posts - 96 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 14
22 November 2009 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
Hello, I have been studying French seriously since April ranging from 45 minutes to 1 hour a day(lack of concentration+big year for me academically) and I have seen some progress. I can get the "jist" of most stuff I read, only site that I seem to have trouble following is Le Monde, but I am guessing that's because of my limited vocabulary so far. At this point in my studies I don't really care for producing the language(speaking and writing even more so) and more on be able to understand written and spoken French.

I have a couple of problems right now
1: I hate grammar- I can barely even grasp it in English so in reading French I have just been memorizing certain words and combinations of words which don't always make sense in English(see below).

2. I find myself translating everything back in English- When reading or listening I have a nasty habit of slipping up or losing my train of thought when something makes no sense in English. Is there any way to remedy this? It seems like a grammar problem or just a sign of noobiness.

3. I get bored- It's nothing to do with something I know that many of my fellow teens experience(video games, facebook etc) but just a lack of understanding which plagues me. Especially when I am listening to higher-level stuff, I tend to doze off or daydream since I hardly catch any of it.

Here's what I am doing now
I review a 100 or so words/phrases in Anki each day+ 20 new words
I read French Football/Soccer articles(PSG and now Lemonde)
Reading Harry Potter 1 and listening to audio book
Watch 10-15 minutes of Québec telejournal
Listen to French Rap(Anyone know any good rappers?)

I think I am going to scrap listening to the audio book, as I read in an article that I forgot, it's not the spoken language and the narrator's impersonations of the characters really piss me off. So I plan on going back to RFI french facile, are there any other similar news broadcasts that have the transcript?

Can anyone offer any suggestions? it's just now that I have started getting really frustrated and seem to be hitting a road block in my studies.

Thank you for reading and I wish everyone well in their language studies

1 person has voted this message useful

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5363 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Latvian

Message 2 of 14
22 November 2009 at 4:57am | IP Logged 
One word: Assimil, the series is simply brilliantly progressive a little each day really starts to build after a while. If you would like to try a more interactive approach I strongly recommend Fluenz, the program is a brilliant introduction into a language they really break stuff down and help you understand the grammar. I've enjoyed both methods thoroughly.

It's hard but stay motivated. Is this the first language you learn on your own? It WILL get easier but it takes time. A lot of people recommend FIA as well. Take a relaxed approach and keep it up, eventually the language will start to click.

Edited by LatinoBoy84 on 22 November 2009 at 6:05am

2 persons have voted this message useful

jaguar8311
Groupie
Canada
Joined 6444 days ago

84 posts - 96 votes 

Message 3 of 14
22 November 2009 at 6:15am | IP Logged 
I have done Assimil, took me a long time to get through it. I guess it's just the more advanced grammar concepts since I am moving on to more advanced writing.

I heard that FIA is really only good if you have transcripts, which cost alot of money(money I don't have). Thanks for the reply and encouragement

maaku
United States
Joined 5362 days ago

359 posts - 562 votes 

Message 4 of 14
22 November 2009 at 6:41am | IP Logged 
Stop translating. At the level you're at you should be thinking (or trying to think) entirely in French. That's what holding you up. Think in French. Make it your native language.
4 persons have voted this message useful

draoicht
Groupie
Ireland
Joined 6101 days ago

89 posts - 146 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 14
22 November 2009 at 2:03pm | IP Logged 
jaguar8311 wrote:

I heard that FIA is really only good if you have transcripts, which cost alot of money(money I don't have). Thanks for the reply and encouragement

Here's transcripts for you Link

Interesting Q&A session with Professor Capretz Link in which he says:

"The Textbook is not a transcription of the video. It is a book version of the story, not its script. The relationship between the Textbook and the video is similar to that between the novel Gone with the Wind and the movie version… Except that in the case of the movie adaptation the film was made after the novel while in our case the Textbook was written ( by Marie-Odile Germain, Conservateur Général des Manuscrits Français, Bibliothèque Nationale de France) based on the video story film. This written text should be consulted only after long serious work with the video."

I've just started using FIA and after watching the video and listening to the audio, I'll look at the transcripts to make sure I haven't missed anything.

3 persons have voted this message useful

jaguar8311
Groupie
Canada
Joined 6444 days ago

84 posts - 96 votes 

Message 6 of 14
22 November 2009 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for the transcripts. Will be sure to dive into that

Dr. Fel
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5430 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 7 of 14
25 November 2009 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
In some ways you will be too advanced for a lot of the material but the Michel Thomas method will not only teach grammar without using gramatical concepts but will actually make it enjoyable. I have found them a fantastic introduction into internalising the gramatical rules of a language

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version