United Kingdom
youtube.com/user/idi
Joined 5311 days ago

45 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 1 of 13
22 November 2009 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
I've recently bought Assimil Spanish with Ease, and I'm struggling. Does anyone know any
techniques for using the course. I listen and repeat until I'm comfortable with the
dialogues, then I do the exercises, but I find myself unable to produce any of the
phrases when tested by another person. However if I read it, I know immediately what it
means. Maybe there is something I'm missing? Because I bought TY German, and I'm
progressing much faster in that than I am in Assimil Spnanish.
Any techniques, hints, or tips would be much appreciated!
Thank you,
Idiomasaur
2 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5342 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 13
22 November 2009 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
Assimil is good if you want to learn a few thousand words and internalize most of a language's grammar. At the end of Assimil's second wave, most people will be able to hold simple conversations with native speakers. (The linguist John McWhorter said, "You will be talking like, roughly, an unusually cosmopolitan three-year-old.") And this should not be underrated: the material I learned from Assimil French is "natural" to me, and quite deeply internalized.

But Assimil is designed to work in two "waves": In the first wave, you soak up input passively. In the second wave, you try to turn that passive knowledge into active knowledge. So if you're following the instructions, you're not getting any experience with output before day 50. This was perfectly fine for me (I needed a lot of time to adjust to French phonology and orthography), but it might not be what you want.

Note that there are other, non-standard ways to use Assimil, some of which appear to be very good. Search these forums for "shadowing", and you will find lots of instructions on how to start producing output on day 1 of Assimil.

It's also possible that your learning style is well-suited to TY, and poorly suited to Assimil. Some people need different things: grammar charts right at the beginning, lots of question-response drills, or immediate output. And one method can't meet all of these needs.
1 person has voted this message useful

draoicht
Groupie
Ireland
Joined 6123 days ago

89 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 13
22 November 2009 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
Here’s how I use Assimil (it’s based on some methods I’ve read other people on these forums are using)
I’ve edited the audio using Audacity to remove the pauses between sentences, this reduces each lessons audio to about a minute.

1 Listen to the audio, without the book, to see what I can understand, 3 times.
2 Listen to the audio while reading the target language, 3 times.
3 Listen to the audio while reading the English translation, 3 times.
4 Listen to the audio, without the book, 3 times
5 Read the notes

Each lesson takes approx. 15 minutes to complete.

When I have completed 6 lessons, I have a review session where I listen to them again making sure I understand everything that is being said. (I don’t use the book during this.)
If I find I don’t understand a sentence or a phrase, I open the book and review that part.

I’m working my way through French With Ease and I have decided to work through the whole book like this and then I will decide if I want to go back and do the active phase.
The reason for this is that I’m also doing French in Action and I think that the active phase mightn’t be as necessary.

Edit: I have to add that I have completed Michel Thomas so I'm not using Assimil as a complete beginner.

Edited by draoicht on 22 November 2009 at 3:45pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Grosse Affe
United States
Joined 6646 days ago

32 posts - 47 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 13
22 November 2009 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
idiomasaur wrote:
I've recently bought Assimil Spanish with Ease...
...but I find myself unable to produce any of the
phrases when tested by another person. However if I read it, I know immediately what it
means.

It sounds like you are not using it as intended in waves. If you understand the dialog
reading and/or audio, then move on. And don't get stuck if you don't have 100%
understanding. Do enough and then move on. You'll be coming back to this stuff again
in the second wave.

I used to get hung up on trying to understand everything. But it wasn't fun and I
didn't progress. Now I move on and try to keep it interesting. I don't get 100%
understanding, but volume-wise I'm learning much more this way than before.

Everyone seems to have a different opinion of this, so this is must my 2 cents.

maaku
United States
Joined 5384 days ago

359 posts - 562 votes 

Message 5 of 13
22 November 2009 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
As others mentioned, you're missing the second wave, that's all. Presumably you haven't gotten to it yet. Don't worry about it as that is exactly the level of understanding you are supposed to have at this stage.

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6362 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 6 of 13
22 November 2009 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
During the second pass, you can also add SRS and create cards with sentences.
This will help immensely on remembering the learnt lessons over a longer period of time.

idiomasaur
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
youtube.com/user/idi
Joined 5311 days ago

45 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 7 of 13
22 November 2009 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Thanks everyone for the advice.
I think I'll try the method mentioned by draoicht. It sounds like a good way for me to
progress, learning as much as possible.

Hashimi
Oman
Joined 6069 days ago

362 posts - 529 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*
Studies: English, Japanese

Message 8 of 13
23 November 2009 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 

zenmonkey wrote:
During the second pass, you can also add SRS and create cards with sentences.
This will help immensely on remembering the learnt lessons over a longer period of time.

I totally agree with this. SRS should be in the production model. i.e. the question is a sentence in your native language (or English), the answer in Spanish. When you see the question you try to translate the sentence (mentally or aloud) to Spanish then compare it with the answer.

Assimil + SRS + Shadowing = guaranteed ability to produce phrases in your target language.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version