Joined 6199 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 42 of 82
04 December 2009 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
chrząszcz wrote:
I study ninety seconds a minute.

I don't suppose that's teachable? It would be a useful skill for me.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Aquedita
Triglot
Poland
myspace.com/aqueda_v
Joined 5774 days ago

154 posts - 164 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 43 of 82
04 December 2009 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
chrząszcz wrote:
I study ninety seconds a minute.

I don't suppose that's teachable? It would be a useful skill for me.

Oh hell yeah, I wanna learn that trick too ;)

On a serious note, of course it always depends on the day, on my mood, on the weather (by the way, probably one of the main reasons my progress sucks) but I try to do SOMETHING every single day, even when it seems small. Just reading some news on the web in your target language, exchanging some e-mails with natives and revising flashcards all adds up in the end I believe.

Or maybe I'm too optimistic and just looking for excuses not to get down for some serious old-fashioned cramming?

Edited by Aquedita on 04 December 2009 at 10:16pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6230 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 44 of 82
04 December 2009 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
doviende wrote:
I keep track of my study time in a spreadsheet, and I categorize my work into a few different pieces. TV and listening are by the hour, reading is by the number of words (estimated), and I track the number of new flashcards that I add to Anki.

For example, here's my September spreadsheet and my October spreadsheet. ...

Thank you very much for sharing this, Doviende! I have now devised something similar for all the things I want to do in a week, not just language learning, and hope that this will help me get the less popular tasks done. Since I work exclusively at home, without office hours or supervision, and I write my thesis here too, I often find myself studying languages as the lesser evil... well, not really evil, but let's say the more interesting task out of all those things I want or need to get done. Also, I sometimes do a lot on one language and nothing on another, which means I forget things before the next review. I am hoping that your spreadsheet idea will help me spend a more equal amount of effort on everything, for better results.
2 persons have voted this message useful

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5746 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 45 of 82
05 December 2009 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
I got the idea from Khatsumoto's concept of a "Victory Calendar" (scroll down a bit in that link, until you see the "Victory Calendar" section). In his japanese project, he took 18 months of hard work to get good, so when he started his new cantonese project he thought to himself "ok, I just need to complete 18 months of work on this". He printed out some sheets with a row for each day and columns for each task, and knew that he just had to fill these all in. If he reached the last row, it would be "Victory", ie fluency.

Khatsumoto wrote:

The last day on the calendar is fluency. Giving my fluency a date really makes a difference; it brings it from the realm of dream to the level of an actual calendar event.

4 persons have voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5626 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 46 of 82
23 December 2009 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
36 session x 15 minutes each per day, with 10 minute breaks

As I mentioned earlier, I have become intrigued with your method and have started to implement my version. One of my main problems is having too many interests and too many simultaneous projects. Your earlier posts about this method are probably the only ones on this Forum that have resulted in some cabinetry. I modified and added two shelf units to a desk to house the books that represent the majority of the tasks I want to try with your system. I currently have 27 such tasks, almost all for my target language. That is probably too many. Too much dilution.

So far I have not established a strictly-timed schedule. I simply work on each task for about 15 minutes or until my attention starts to wane. Then I take a break and switch. I'm not sure if I'll be able to follow the clock with the discipline you have managed. I hope you are having a good holiday and are enjoying that little yellow Esperanto book.

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5345 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 47 of 82
23 December 2009 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
Total time including music, tv, and study upwards of 4 hours.

I workout to German or Spanish music, I finish one lesson of German Without Toil everyday, one lesson of Spanish Made Simple everyday, and one lesson of German : How to Speak and Write it every 2-3 days (to make sure I focus on the material.) I also finish one tape of FSI German everyday (like a third of a lesson = 20 minutes)

Studying languages is my free/ leisure time. Instead of playing videogames, I will study, then hangout out with my friends at night.

I never sleep in either. Those lazy wasted hours could be spent learning something. :D

delta910
Diglot
United States
Joined 5635 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 48 of 82
24 December 2009 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
doviende wrote:
I got the idea from Khatsumoto's concept of a "Victory Calendar" (scroll down a bit in that link, until you see the "Victory Calendar" section). In his japanese project, he took 18 months of hard work to get good, so when he started his new cantonese project he thought to himself "ok, I just need to complete 18 months of work on this". He printed out some sheets with a row for each day and columns for each task, and knew that he just had to fill these all in. If he reached the last row, it would be "Victory", ie fluency.

Khatsumoto wrote:

The last day on the calendar is fluency. Giving my fluency a date really makes a difference; it brings it from the realm of dream to the level of an actual calendar event.

Wow, this is what I do. I have a "study sheet" that I make in excel, I have tabs at the top for each task(Listening, reading, etc), and at the end of each day I fill it out and put a total number of minutes I have studied. I find it very useful and I somewhat got the idea from watching Professor Alexander Arguelles' last posted video.

This discussion contains 82 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version