Diglot
Greece
Joined 5235 days ago

12 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: Greek*, EnglishB2
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 49 of 82
24 December 2009 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
I usually study Japanese whenever I am online. I visit my favorite sites, read their articles and do their exercises, and I watch some videos in order to get used to Japanese sounds. However, I often take some notes of what I learn from the sites so that I can read them closely when offline. The time I dedicate for Japanese may vary, because of studies and other obligations that keep me away from reading.
1 person has voted this message useful

sei
Diglot
Portugal
Joined 5723 days ago

178 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 50 of 82
29 December 2009 at 3:20am | IP Logged 
I have a goal of studying my current 2 languages, 15 minutes each, so a total of only 30 minutes per day. I think this is enough for steady progress without getting burn out (which I have before).

I also just made a spreadsheet today based on the ones doviende showed a couple pages ago in this topic. It's just a place to keep track of what I have done and if I am keeping up to my goals. With just 30 minutes a day, starting on January through to December 2010, I should make approximately 180 hours of study. I think for someone with limited time as I am, this is a nice amount, and I will be able to see progress at the end of 2010.

Edited by sei on 29 December 2009 at 3:36am

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6432 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 51 of 82
29 December 2009 at 5:04am | IP Logged 
I'd say I average about 6 hours of studying a day, if one includes weekends and holidays! There are some weeks I might do 4 hours per day and some weeks where it's more than a standard work week! However, it's worth mentioning that my day-to-day job consists of studying languages, so there ya go.

jaguar8311
Groupie
Canada
Joined 6438 days ago

84 posts - 96 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 52 of 82
29 December 2009 at 5:12am | IP Logged 
I try and and do between 45 minutes to 1:15. When my parents are at work and my brother is at work I like to watch Quebecois TV for 35 minutes. I spent about 30 minutes with an ebook and 20 minutes with anki. plus 10 minutes of reading the French Soccer websites

JasonBourne
Groupie
United States
Joined 5534 days ago

65 posts - 111 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Arabic (Written), Turkish

Message 53 of 82
29 December 2009 at 5:35am | IP Logged 
sei wrote:
I have a goal of studying my current 2 languages, 15 minutes each, so a total of only 30 minutes per day. I think this is enough for steady progress without getting burn out (which I have before).

15 minutes a day? It takes me 15 minutes to sit down and concentrate on what I'm doing let alone actually learn anything! Props to you, though, I suppose.

If I don't feel motivated or have the time to do anything less than 2 hours, I generally don't bother with active studying.

Edited by JasonBourne on 29 December 2009 at 5:37am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 54 of 82
29 December 2009 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
I'm consistently and deliberately erratic in my study behaviour. But I try to get at least a least a taste of each of my languages on a regular basis, and I also try to spend at least a couple of hours daily on 'organized' activities. These are things like word lists, intensive reading with or without copying, writing essays in my weaker languages (where I have to concentrate) and things like that. In between there are all sorts of brief encounters with other languages, often concurrent with other activites.

Right now I'm sitting at my office, and there is really nothing much to do (except rereading some old files and things like that) so I have been able to spend some time searching for things to listen to while I do my job, and this includes some Brazilian internet TV (about diabetes), a brief visit to TV Andorra (in Catalan), maybe a full hour of Russian mostly from 1TV Documentary (Fabergé, moslems in Spain), plus the Latin news from Yle radio (from Finland). However this is exceptional and only possible because all my collegues are on holiday. But in my evenings I try to get a similar mix of 'multilingual background noise' - with the caveat that I don't control the TV programs, and most of the interesting programs there are in English.

And how should I quantify this mess? It can't be done.

Edited by Iversen on 29 December 2009 at 1:35pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6054 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 55 of 82
29 December 2009 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
I aim for two hours, roughly one hour in the morning, one in the evening. I have drawn up a sort of graph in my notebook, containing 140 boxes, and fill one in for each hour.

Darobat
Diglot
Joined 6970 days ago

754 posts - 770 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin

Message 56 of 82
29 December 2009 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
Due to limited free time I'm unable to spend as much time as I would like on languages. Still, I try to do about 20-30 minutes of both French and Russian every day, and I try to review my Anki decks and add ~15 new cards every day to both of them. I have a spreadsheet on my computer where I keep track of the time spent and number of cards added to my Anki deck, which I colour code based on whether I reach my daily goals. (Thanks for the idea doviende!)

This discussion contains 82 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version