Joined 5727 days ago

178 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 57 of 82
29 December 2009 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
JasonBourne wrote:
sei wrote:
I have a goal of studying my current 2 languages, 15 minutes each, so a total of only 30 minutes per day. I think this is enough for steady progress without getting burn out (which I have before).

15 minutes a day? It takes me 15 minutes to sit down and concentrate on what I'm doing let alone actually learn anything! Props to you, though, I suppose.

If I don't feel motivated or have the time to do anything less than 2 hours, I generally don't bother with active studying.

I guess you could say I'm a good studier? I have no trouble sitting down and immediately getting into what I'm doing (that is, for languages...unfortunately it doesn't go so smoothly with other work...). I have so far steadily picked everything I have learned without much review and just doing shorts times a day.

Right now, I could certainly fit more time, but in March I'm starting a 36 hour (per week) internship, and the amount of work I have to do at home will be so huge, I think fitting even these 30 minutes everyday will be a problem. Which is why I'm already doing it right now, so by March I know what's the best way to go about it and how much I can do and etc.
1 person has voted this message useful

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5836 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 58 of 82
04 January 2010 at 7:05am | IP Logged 
1.5 hour listening, 1 hour tv, 3 or 4 30 min SRS sessions with 15 minute breaks, 30 minute reading, so approx 4.5 to 5 hours. This is all for Chinese, Tagalog is on break right now.

The 30 minute reading is during my work break, and the 1.5 listening is during work using my mp3 player.

Edited by irrationale on 04 January 2010 at 7:06am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Snesgamer
Groupie
Afghanistan
Joined 6397 days ago

81 posts - 90 votes 
Studies: English*, German, Spanish, Norwegian, Scottish Gaelic

Message 59 of 82
04 January 2010 at 8:22am | IP Logged 
I don't have a set schedule, or "things to do" list when it comes to language study. One of the reasons I actually took up learning languages was so that I could have a hobby that I could more productively spend my free time with (previously, I had been playing way too many video games and letting myself go intellectually). So, my study time for any given day is pretty much determined by how much free time I have (I try to study during most of my leisure time, unless I have a specific activity I have planned with a friend or something).

delta910
Diglot
United States
Joined 5661 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 60 of 82
06 January 2010 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
Since my first time posting this my language study hours have changed greatly, which, in the end, I knew they would change because of my activities that I was going through. I would do shadowing for some time, about 80 minutes worth, and then move on to listening, which would take about an hour, and then finally some reading, which would take about an hour. This was all for Spanish.

Now, I usually just do some listening for an hour or more and do some reading for a good hour depending on the night. So I now spend about a good two hours on Spanish per night rather than the three and a half hours, which was really burning me out after two weeks.

The same goes with Arabic. I would normally do some listening for a good hour and read for half an hour.

Now, I listen for some forty-five minutes, sometimes an hour, and I read for a good thirty minutes. Really my Arabic study time hasn't changed all that much.

I stopped doing shadowing partly because it was just wearing me out and I couldn't continue it. So now I just do some heavy listening and reading on LingQ, maybe flip through a grammar book for a bit and that's it.

hypersport
United States
Joined 5667 days ago

216 posts - 307 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 61 of 82
06 January 2010 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
FSI 20-30 minutes. TV,news 4 hrs. Audiobooks and podcasts through Ipod 8 hrs. Reading out loud 1 hr typical weekday, 3hrs on a day off. Music and talk radio drive time.

guolan27
Diglot
United States
Joined 5218 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin

Message 62 of 82
10 January 2010 at 6:24am | IP Logged 
I don't really have a study time. All I do is make sure that when I have free time I do the things I have fun doing in
whatever language I want to practice. For example, if I want to watch some tv I might put on a Chinese soap opera.
Or if I want to listen to music, I might do it in Spanish or Mandarin. If you do the things you like to do in other
languages you won't need to worry about cutting out time to study because you already do that.

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5121 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 63 of 82
25 June 2010 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
I have learnt that if I tell myself to study at least an hour a day or to do a specific activity, my motivation will disappear in an instant. I just can't stand being told what to do, even it it's myself that's doing the telling.

I often allow myself to put a cross on my "Don't break the chain"-chart for listening to a single Pimsleur lesson or writing a French post on this forum. It's not much but the idea is to do something with the language every single day. Then there are those days when I watch a French film, rewind certain parts, repeat sentences, look up word I don't know, etc, and end up working on the language for over three hours.

I know I would get much farther much faster if I had some sort of discipline but I'm not in any hurry to become fluent fast and part of the joy of being a self-student is that I can decide for myself when, what and how long I study.

As for English, I have been studying it for hours every day for years without even realising it through films, TV, books and the internet. Now that I study it at university, I think I'm easily at 7 hours a day at least.

Desacrator48
Groupie
United States
Joined 5094 days ago

93 posts - 127 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 64 of 82
28 June 2010 at 8:22am | IP Logged 
I love this thread. Would love to see you guys update on your current schedule. Just a caveat, the World Cup has taken some of my time to study, but this great event only comes once every four years, so yeah.

Mine at the moment is about 2 hours a day of French. I am a beginner, and I use Pimsleur II at the moment. I do each one lesson a day three times. The first two times takes the normal 30 minutes. The third time I do the lesson, I am constantly pausing the lesson to write down all new sentences and phrases on Word. I do this for every lesson and my transcript has grown pretty huge! I also keep a separate sheet for all the verbs I learn.

I do this because 1) Pimsleur is an audio-only course and I want to be able to read and write what I am saying out loud. 2) It really gets you to focus on each word and syllable you are saying and not just saying sounds that you think sound like what you hear coming out of the CD player.

I also do a couple of hours a week of Spanish, which I am at an intermediate level. I always listen to Spanish talk radio when I drive, and I am already getting better at basic comprehension. There used to be a time when I thought Spanish was spoken too fast, but not so much anymore. I also DVR a public-broadcast show in Spanish to watch.

My main method of improving Spanish though is through Sharedtalk.com (a fabulous site), which I use to meet Spanish-speakers to converse over Skype. We teach other English and Spanish!

Once again, I love this thread. It really motivates me to read how you guys do your thing!

This discussion contains 82 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version